• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT crowds Saturday 4/7?

graniterider

I’m seeing that 2 of our go-to mountains, Okemo & Snow, have events this weekend (Slush Cup vs Minus Zero). Any intel on how the on snow crowds usually are for either event? My guess is Okemo will be far more mellow, both in numbers and type of crowd. I’ll be there with my son, end of season scramble to get more days in! Thanks!

drjeff

I’m seeing that 2 of our go-to mountains, Okemo & Snow, have events this weekend (Slush Cup vs Minus Zero). Any intel on how the on snow crowds usually are for either event? My guess is Okemo will be far more mellow, both in numbers and type of crowd. I’ll be there with my son, end of season scramble to get more days in! Thanks!

Mount Snow in their passholders site, has said that they aren't expecting on hill volume from the music festival to be very much. That being said, they have also said that services will be limited mainly because so many of the staff will be working on festival related things. So I while most of the mountain will be open (pretty sure that Sunbrook is shut down for the season now), don't expect a ton of lifts and/or every food and beverage venue to be open is what I gather. Anecdotally, the fall off in crowds was noticeable at Mount Snow last weekend. Still a decent crowd, but far less than in previous weeks....

Jcb890

Yesterday was not busy by any means, but due to only the Bluebird running on the main face and no Sunbrook, there was still somewhat of a line at times for the Bluebird. Not much, but a small line.

The North Face was basically ski-on all day.

graniterider

Thanks! That’s really helpful, I didn’t even notice the information about late season operations. No loss for us to have Sunbrook closed, my son’s only concern will be getting a few laps on Roller Coaster. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

Pez

kids love roller coaster

i've got one more day at snow, probably next sunday. have only skied there 3 days this year.

KustyTheKlown

just a heads up that this music festival may not create the most family friendly vibes. these artists are big name EDM that cater to a very young and hard partying demographic. hotels will be full of loud music and pretty open drug use. pretty open drug use at the actual festival as well. and not just weed.

MommaBear

just a heads up that this music festival may not create the most family friendly vibes. these artists are big name EDM that cater to a very young and hard partying demographic. hotels will be full of loud music and pretty open drug use. pretty open drug use at the actual festival as well. and not just weed.

Guess that explains the text message from my neighbor up there this morning asking if our place was rented for the weekend to festival goers. She will be out of town and was "concerned" by what she was hearing.

KustyTheKlown

lol. yea, this is pretty much as bad as it gets for quality of crowd at a music event. just consider yourself lucky that they didn't book bassnectar.

KustyTheKlown

or the disco biscuits

lol. may or may not be my favorite band who I've seen well over 100 times in the past 18 years. may or may not be why I'm aware of the levels of debauchery involved with some of the artists on that line up.

the biscuits are so much better than that trash festival, but get lumped in quite often. their own fault, they started booking all those acts at camp bisco over the past 5+ years in order to pad ticket sales. it's become a bassnectar festival, featuring 6 underattended disco biscuit sets. thank goodness for friends in high places, backstage VIP open bars, and off site hotel rooms.

Pez

haha. Ya i think they've been banned from Northampton after their last time there.

I just saw them once, at a crappy local townie bar in like 98 or 99.

KustyTheKlown

northhampton shows from 2009-2011 were outlandish. full takeover of the quality inn. tanks in the parking lot and exterior hallways. paddy wagons. sweet sweet memories of the calvin theatre.

the biscuits changed their entire approach to touring in the past few years. no more small markets, college towns, and northhamptons. those small towns would be overwhelmed by the level of crazy. now they play nyc, philadelphia, denver, chicago, atlanta, boston/worcester, and portland, only, and really do not play anywhere else. they also don't play extended tours anymore, they just post up in a city for one long weekend each month. healthier approach for bands and fans, and we blend in more in large metropolises

bdfreetuna

haha. Ya i think they've been banned from Northampton after their last time there.

I lived practically across the street from The Calvin at the time. My then roommate sounds a lot like Kusty, Disco Biscuits by far his favorite band and he'll gladly go to bat for them.

So needless to say we ended up hosting about a dozen wooks for a week straight in a small apartment, and everything that goes along with that.

Probably should mention at the time I was hardly averse to Phish, Dead, Umphrey's, Breakfast, regular hippie festival scenes.

Anyway IMO this kind of EDM / drug jam stuff has no business as a ski resort. What was wrong with Reggae fest? You smell a little weed maybe. I guess Mount Snow will learn, or perhaps it's more important to give a safe space for eating mdma and LSD and smoking meth and crack than to have any semblance of being a family-friendly ski area.

Jcb890

I lived practically across the street from The Calvin at the time. My then roommate sounds a lot like Kusty, Disco Biscuits by far his favorite band and he'll gladly go to bat for them.

So needless to say we ended up hosting about a dozen wooks for a week straight in a small apartment, and everything that goes along with that.

Probably should mention at the time I was hardly averse to Phish, Dead, Umphrey's, Breakfast, regular hippie festival scenes.

Anyway IMO this kind of EDM / drug jam stuff has no business as a ski resort. What was wrong with Reggae fest? You smell a little weed maybe. I guess Mount Snow will learn, or perhaps it's more important to give a safe space for eating mdma and LSD and smoking meth and crack than to have any semblance of being a family-friendly ski area.
Crystal Meth and skiing - fun for the whole family!

Killingtime

The Sheriff who is always sitting across from the entrance to Okemo around the bend on Rt100 is going to be very busy this weekend.

drjeff

People at this festival won't be traveling that way.

Right now the mountain is saying that 6 to 8 thousand people are expected to attend over the course of the festival.

I know that the complex that my condo is in, sent out what was basically a warning/disclaimer to people who might want to put their units up for rent this weekend, about the likelihood of what would be going on after the festival in their condos....

There is plenty of skepticism, at least among a number of the families and Mount Snow employees (especially food and beverage folks) that I know up there, about whether this will end up being viewed as a positive or negative event for the mountain. The one positive for sure is that there will be way more people up in the Valley this weekend, and likely adding in some way shape or form to the local economy, at a time of the year where it's often a glorified ghost town.....