• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

(h)Opening Day Thread 2018-2019

BenedictGomez

Pretty weak opening from SR

Seriously? It's mid-October for heaven's sake.

If we're being honest, these mountains arent really "open" for skiing, they're open for marketing gimmicks, but if you're one of the relative few that cares about mid-October openings, I'd think you'd be singling their praises rather than complaining.

spiderpig

If we're being honest, these mountains arent really "open" for skiing, they're open for marketing gimmicks, but if you're one of the relative few that cares about mid-October openings, I'd think you'd be singling their praises rather than complaining.

I'll be at Killington on Saturday.

Smellytele

I'll be at Killington on Saturday.

Walking a staircase with a 45 minute wait at the chair. Also cost twice as much (yes I know there are 2 fers out there). Hoping K is open Monday and I will go then with my 2fer. If SR is open Monday which I doubt it would be maybe go there but it takes twice as long to get there.

Jully

Why?

It's basically the same thing they do every year. T2 with downloading on Locke chair. They are also making snow ttb, so there's a good chance people will be able to pick their way down patch skiing to the bottom.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

SR early season usually tries pretty hard to underpromise and over deliver. Good chance downloading will be decently optional.

Add me to the list of confused folks as to why spiderpig thinks SR's opening is "weak." SR has one short trail open and K has one short trail and an even shorter one open.

machski

Walking a staircase with a 45 minute wait at the chair. Also cost twice as much (yes I know there are 2 fers out there). Hoping K is open Monday and I will go then with my 2fer. If SR is open Monday which I doubt it would be maybe go there but it takes twice as long to get there.
They won't be open Monday. After this weekend, they go to their only open weekends in the super early season. Thus I will Ikon it to K when I get home next week. Thinking Thursday right now given 7 day temp forecast.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

Wish that I could be at either, just for the fun! SR and K are both offering 570 +/- vert. No walking at SR, but if you're skiing in Oct is that really a biggie as only diehards should be there. SR waited until the last minute to announce, so probably much fewer skiers will show. Both are about the same distance for me and I would have free lodging 15 minutes from SR, so my choice would be obvious. Kudos to both for a 10/19 opening. I'm hoping that Mt Snow makes a bigger opening shortly, and am impressed that they and Wildcat are both blowing so early. Unfortunately we had a dusting of snow at my house this morning, which means that we are cursed for the rest of the winter. :-(

Smellytele

They won't be open Monday. After this weekend, they go to their only open weekends in the super early season. Thus I will Ikon it to K when I get home next week. Thinking Thursday right now given 7 day temp forecast.

My 1st ski day is being pushed out to Thursday as well because of the forecast and the guy I am going with can only make it that day. Wanted to go Monday or Wednesday.

sull1102

Killy's own Snow Report says Open Daily Weather Depending at least

skiur

Why do you say this? Do you have secret communications with K and they told you this even when they are telling everybody else they plan to be open daily? Do you have a bat phone with Mike on the other side?

sull1102

Why do you say this? Do you have secret communications with K and they told you this even when they are telling everybody else they plan to be open daily? Do you have a bat phone with Mike on the other side?
I went after the guy too last night but edited it out cause I think he's talking about Sunday River

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

spiderpig

You guys are so easily triggered and trolled.

drjeff

I would love to see on K's social media pages today, Mike Solimano back at work greeting those heading up for their 1st turns of the season! That would be a sight even better than folks cruising down Rime given his recent health issues!

sull1102

I would love to see on K's social media pages today, Mike Solimano back at work greeting those heading up for their 1st turns of the season! That would be a sight even better than folks cruising down Rime given his recent health issues!

I too was hoping for something like this! It feels like this early start and the team pushing so hard maybe they are getting a little help from above help keep Mike's spirits up as he gets through this recovery seeing his mountain doing so well