• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC Area Info

thetrailboss

Staff member
Zand, I certainly hope that you were NOT in BCC today. I drove up to Brighton to ski a few hours this evening. Absolute zoo. I have never seen that many cars up there. At least for me nearly everyone was leaving.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hah! While that sounds like amazing fun, we're not coming until March. Found out the wife is preggers and her OB/GYN is vehemently against her downhill skiing. We could have cancelled, but she wants to come and just do non-ski stuff since she loves Utah. Dunno is there will be enough snow for XC or snowshoeing at lower elevations, but that's a possibility. As is spas, shopping, etc.... Prolly wont do the booze tastings though!

CONGRATS!!!!!

Utah is very, um, baby friendly. I mean the LDS faith is big on girls getting married young and having lots of kids.....

thetrailboss

Staff member
This angers me greatly. Lives are going to be destroyed for "drunk driving" while not actually being remotely "drunk". That said, do people take this into consideration when booking a trip? I cant imagine picking or denying a destination because I'm worried I could get nailed with a bogus "DUI" after a mere 2 beers.

It is hard to say, but anecdotally A LOT of restaurants and tourist places have seen a decline...because folks thought that the law went into effect LAST year.

Plus cheap mass tranny or free public tranny if you're in Park City.
That said, how many first-time tourists know this?

:lol: We are NOT going to start a discussion about public transit in Park City. :lol:

deadheadskier

Staff member
The first couple years you negotiate with your wife for time off. Third or fourth year you get very familiar with the beginner slopes!
Yes, this!

Im in the beginner slope stage now. I've gotten to know McIntyre very well with our 3 year old son this winter and have only managed a couple of big boy days. By the time he is ready for the big hill days our 7 week old daughter will have me back on the beginner hill again. I figure I'm about 8-9 years away from regularly enjoying the type of skiing I once did. Lol

Congrats BG!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

hub8

I agree that out of that list Snowbasin will be the least crowded.

Ski N See and AJ are pretty similar. You can also look to Utah Ski and Golf.
Thanks to jimk and thetrailboss for helpful advice! I went to the local ski shop where we got the season rentals, and at 77 under foot, I'm already on their widest available. We will be renting demo skis at AJ.

We will be hitting the slopes starting Thursday which looks to be windy, and I'm wondering if anyone have any advice on wind. Between Alta and Snowbird, which has more green/blue trails sheltered from wind or glades with gentle slopes? Would mineral basin be very windy? My 10 year old son is an advanced intermediate (at places like Mt. Snow, Okemo, Sugarbush, Stowe), and likes powder, moguls and gentle glades, but doesn't like it when it is too windy.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935U using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

Yeah, RFID is putting an end to that. Some places (Bretton Woods?) offer a parental lift ticket, so the parents can switch off and take turns watching the little ones.

Some just let you switch. Did that at Alta and snowbird by accident. I had skied the day we landed and on our leave day took a ticket that haven’t been used that day.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks to jimk and thetrailboss for helpful advice! I went to the local ski shop where we got the season rentals, and at 77 under foot, I'm already on their widest available. We will be renting demo skis at AJ.

We will be hitting the slopes starting Thursday which looks to be windy, and I'm wondering if anyone have any advice on wind. Between Alta and Snowbird, which has more green/blue trails sheltered from wind or glades with gentle slopes? Would mineral basin be very windy? My 10 year old son is an advanced intermediate (at places like Mt. Snow, Okemo, Sugarbush, Stowe), and likes powder, moguls and gentle glades, but doesn't like it when it is too windy.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935U using AlpineZone mobile app

Alta is more sheltered.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

You're going to rent something quite a bit wider in Utah given you're talking about powder & glades, right?

Zand

Zand, I certainly hope that you were NOT in BCC today. I drove up to Brighton to ski a few hours this evening. Absolute zoo. I have never seen that many cars up there. At least for me nearly everyone was leaving.

Just arrived this morning and went to Solitude. Lot was full so had to park in the road. Didn't really have to wait in lines but it was busy for sure. Locals are pissed that it's on Ikon now lol.

Left around 3:15...lots of traffic heading down the canyon and one 5 minute backup but otherwise it flowed fine.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just arrived this morning and went to Solitude. Lot was full so had to park in the road. Didn't really have to wait in lines but it was busy for sure. Locals are pissed that it's on Ikon now lol.

Left around 3:15...lots of traffic heading down the canyon and one 5 minute backup but otherwise it flowed fine.

Yep. Ikon, inversion, good snow = busy.

What did you think of Solitude? Did you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited: