• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

9% Tax Proposal on NH lift tickts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdfreetuna

I can't deal with stupid on this level... Vail literally pioneered weather modification for the ski industry 30+ years ago

https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/w...rming-the-clouds-for-snow/Content?oid=4882541
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/vail-cloud-seeding-should-stop/
https://coloradosun.com/2018/12/28/colorado-cloud-seeding-programs/
https://denverwatertap.org/2018/12/10/cloud-seeding-off-to-a-strong-start-for-2018-19-winter-season/
https://www.vaildaily.com/news/answerland-vail-resorts-cloud-seeding/

At what point do you realize you're the idiot here? This is just the first URLs that come up on a basic search. Is the world moving too fast for you to keep up with?

machski

The way I see it this proposed tax is aimed towards Ski Tourism (aka the Massachusetts people). Let's be real most of the skier visits in NH are people from Mass (myself included).

This is just NH trying to capture some of that money--because turns out, government money is needed for things like roads. And if your state is obsessed over "NO Sales Tax!!", you have to make up for it in ridiculously high property taxes, Toll Roads and other taxes like this.

Who would of thought that taxes were necessary for government services for things like roads, schools, etc?

I guess my Massachusetts attitude is showing. You New Hampshire guys are lucky that the lower half of your state is dependent on the successful metro area of Boston. Remove Boston and your economy would be as bad as West Virginia and Kentucky. #End Rant

This is all pretty funny, especially the toll road rant. From a MA resident, where tolls are astronomically higher priced than NH tolls and we won't even get into personal tax burden down there vs NH. Great laugh, thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
In my experience talking to people on the lift at your average resort in the NE there's an equal amount of white collar and blue collar folks. Lot's of local contractors skiing in the winter and lots of cubicle office-job types on vacation. There's different ways to get through life. The argument that people are being pushed too much to go to college is a true/fair point. But arguing that solely on personal experience because it wasn't for you and you're seemingly regretting it isn't really a valid argument.

It's all about your personal experience. I had a job at 15. Starting my junior year of high school through the duration of college I worked 40-60 hours a week in culinary (except during ski season I dropped it down to 20-30 hours...good times). It was great and taught me a lot. But I watched my boss miss a large chunk of his daughter's childhood as his body continued to break down from 40+ years working in kitchens. I'd work 16 hour shifts and be completely exhausted and sore in my early 20s...he worked harder and was in his 50s. 5 day work weeks, benefits, and getting home being able to do something and not just collapse on the couch were all reasons I perused college.

Everyone has their own story but it's foolish to speak that that's enough to base an opinion on or speak in absolute terms. It's like saying I've never been in a car accident so cars shouldn't have airbags it'll save a few $$$ off the price.

deadheadskier

Staff member
alright fellas

let's lay off the attacks. Tuna has his quirks and so does everyone else. I personally welcome his contributions back even though we don't see eye to eye on numerous things.

I've got better things to do than deleting personally attack posts, so everyone chill a bit please.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
alright fellas

let's lay off the attacks. Tuna has his quirks and so does everyone else. I personally welcome his contributions back even though we don't see eye to eye on numerous things.

I've got better things to do than deleting personally attack posts, so everyone chill a bit please.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Yeah I would concur.

Let's keep it lite.

JimG.

Staff member
Just did a search on tax free states.

Now I totally understand why folks retire to places like Alaska, Wyoming and to a lesser extent Washington state.

Huh, I might wind up as a megapass holder in the future.

BenedictGomez

I guess that's what BenedictGomez is basing his prediction on, first hand experience.

It is my entire life, from childhood to adulthood.

New Jersey is a formerly wonderful place that's been destroyed by leftist politicians unquenchable thirst for your money & government control. I warned my Vermont friends many years ago that the same fate would befall Vermont, and they laughed. They're not laughing anymore. New Hampshire's on the clock.

Last edited:

Edd

As an NH resident, this proposal doesn’t upset me; I don’t have the philosophical objection that some do. I agree that it’s unlikely to get passed.

As far as an earlier comment on “white, wealthy, males” being targeted...I’d speculate and agree that the target is “wealthy”; a luxury tax of sorts. But wealthy people do tend to be white males.

gregnye

This is all pretty funny, especially the toll road rant. From a MA resident, where tolls are astronomically higher priced than NH tolls

The majority of the tolls in Mass are for those going east-west. It places a burden on western mass. Perhaps we should place a toll on 93 north and target those people from southern New Hampshire that add to the congestion of the Boston Metro area, while contributing nothing. Because right now on 93, the toll is in New Hampshire and they get all the money (kind of backwards isn't it?).

gregnye

I warned by Vermont many years ago that the same fate would befall Vermont, and they laughed. They're not laughing anymore. New Hampshire's on the clock.

This is complete nonsense. Vermont has always been a hipster/outdoorsy/liberal place. Maybe not the entire state but definitely Burlington Vermont and other cities.

As for New Jersey, may I remind you that Chris Christie, a republican, was the governor there for many years (some would even say too many!). His term ended in 2018. Has NJ really changed that much in 1 year? I doubt it.

New Hampshire has always been a mixed bag in terms of politics--that's one thing I actually like about it. And it will always continue to be. No need to panic everyone.

MEtoVTSkier

The majority of the tolls in Mass are for those going east-west. It places a burden on western mass. Perhaps we should place a toll on 93 north and target those people from southern New Hampshire that add to the congestion of the Boston Metro area, while contributing nothing. Because right now on 93, the toll is in New Hampshire and they get all the money (kind of backwards isn't it?).

I'm actually kinda shocked that MA hasn't done that already to I93 & I95. RI has the truck tolls, why is MA leaving all that easy money on the table... :lol:

abc

New Jersey is a formerly wonderful place that's been destroyed by leftist politicians unquenchable thirst for your money & government control. I warned by Vermont many years ago that the same fate would befall Vermont, and they laughed. They're not laughing anymore. New Hampshire's on the clock.
It's the demographic. There's nothing you can do about it.

Your "warning" to VT or NH is no better than telling beach loving New Josians winter is coming! It's coming whether they (you) like it or not.

But you can move to places NOT bordering liberal cities. Florida is popular for New Josians. :roll:

P.S.
Actually, you CAN do something about it. To slow down the change of demographic, that is. By refusing to upgrade the Hudson River crossing, whether it's by car tunnel, or by train (PATH), it'll "help" stem the tide of migration of the leftists from New York! It's been "working" for the longest time.:roll: It's an absolute pain in the back side for NJ residents to get to the city for work! They got what they deserved. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.