• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opening day in the northeast

Zand

Decided not to head to K today. Roads sound like shit and it's not worth dealing with to get to 1-3" of snow on top of ice. Oh well, 3 days till closer skiing.

ghughes20

They're not really any further behind if they're making snow and stockpiling it. Stratton could open this weekend with less terrain and still have the same amount of terrain open next weekend that they're gonna have anyway by waiting.

This makes sense. Stratton will make snow every window they have between now and opening day. The only area of the mountain they don't hit early is Sun Bowl, and I suspect this is due to the fact that this area faces east and gets more sun, thus more melting when the temps warm up.

skiur

Decided not to head to K today. Roads sound like shit and it's not worth dealing with to get to 1-3" of snow on top of ice. Oh well, 3 days till closer skiing.

Good luck, they got more ice than snow last night.

JimG.

Staff member

Yeah I bagged it too K got mostly ice and less than a half inch of snow. Going tomorrow instead.

Zand

Yeah I bagged it too K got mostly ice and less than a half inch of snow. Going tomorrow instead.

Hopefully they pick up a few inches today. Stuck at work the rest of the week so best i can do is Wawa under the lights and then see what Sunday brings.

machski

Tough roads here around K today, freezing rain and now a dusting on top as the temps drop.
I drove up to K from Manchester this morning. Highways were fine, did t change over to snow until Lebanon. Threw the 4x4 in after Bridgewater. Probably didn't need it, roads didn't feel too slick but stupid to loose traction when you've got it. Trails aren't terrible all things considered. Downdraft is best followed by Upper Dipper. Route to K1 is decent, North Ridge stuff is slick and thin. Not much material for cats to work with on Rime and UEF. Only permanently installed fan guns running so far, I expect they start up a lot of others shortly. Gonna be a frigid one tomorrow morning.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

This makes sense. Stratton will make snow every window they have between now and opening day. The only area of the mountain they don't hit early is Sun Bowl, and I suspect this is due to the fact that this area faces east and gets more sun, thus more melting when the temps warm up.

They had a lot of guns blasting Friday night when the temps dropped. It was cool to see on the webcams.

slatham

Well here’s one for some of the big guys pussyfooting around: Bromley is opening this weekend! Love it.

ghughes20

Well here’s one for some of the big guys pussyfooting around: Bromley is opening this weekend! Love it.

Good news for Bromley!!!

Stratton has the guns running again, and should be able to keep them going for the next 36 hours. They're still calling for an opening on the 23rd. With this cold snap, anyone that wants to open this weekend - can.

bdfreetuna

Bromley opening with Upper Twister, West Meadow and Lower Boulevard. It's only one run from the top, but if I had to ski 1 run that anyone has open right now, that might be it.

Bromley is not extreme but it does not suck in the least. Good place to rip the mountain at high speed (not many people in the way) and ski right onto the lift. Skis bigger than it looks. Excellent grooming and low traffic. They mostly let the black diamond trails get bumped up.

I guess Jiminy is their cash cow but it's good to see Bromley getting some early season action.

slatham

Bromley opening with Upper Twister, West Meadow and Lower Boulevard. It's only one run from the top, but if I had to ski 1 run that anyone has open right now, that might be it.

Bromley is not extreme but it does not suck in the least. Good place to rip the mountain at high speed (not many people in the way) and ski right onto the lift. Skis bigger than it looks. Excellent grooming and low traffic. They mostly let the black diamond trails get bumped up.

I guess Jiminy is their cash cow but it's good to see Bromley getting some early season action.

Those are the trails ready to go as of yesterday. I’ll bet they open more - likely Corkscrew, maybe more? - given the temps the rest of the week.

Yes not the craziest of skiing, but likely a very good skier to open acreage ratio.

spiderpig

These are excellent takes. And the amount of expert terrain midseason can be surprising.

kingslug

K was pretty good today. They had enough open to keep it intersting until 3. The best was on old bunny buster where the guns were on. It was better than expected and the peak restaurant was open. This weekend will be a zoo..that i gaurantee..

Attachments

• 20191113_123147.jpg
    20191113_123147.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 20191113_153834.jpg
    20191113_153834.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 20191113_115446.jpg
    20191113_115446.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20191113_115444.jpg
    20191113_115444.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 100

ERJ-145CA

I saw from the air today as I was flying back from Bangor (definitely winter there BTW) that they are making snow at Mountain Creek and Mt. Peter. Maybe an early opening for them this year.

Also Belleayre is making snow. I'm hoping to go there black Friday for the second year in a row.

Sent from my SM-G970U using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

urungus

From their Facebook page:

Berkshire East will be open for skiing and snowboarding this Saturday and Sunday. Making snow on Mohawk, Outback, Big Chief, Deer Run, Bob Cat! Ski sale is this weekend, drop off is Saturday, pick up is Sunday. Midweek pricing in effect. $45 for adults, $35 jr/sr