• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mtn Expansion Details

So Inclined

I'm still quite confused about these incidents. When I skied the trails, they were like any other blue on the mountain.

I don't know of any other fully-covered Hunter blues that patrol will keep closed until the afternoon, so the temps can warm and soften them a bit as they might West runs like Clair's. But I've seen that happen on Overlook.

IMO it's a hard blue in good conditions, albeit one which offers a particular set of temptations (width, steepness, lack of crowds) which can be a lot of fun for very competent skiers and very dangerous for less adept, possibly-tanked-up, straightliner bombers. Marking and marketing it originally as "intermediate" obscured the latter part.

Last edited:

I want to see the rest of the video where that guy had to CC ski a few hundred feet, because the run-out doesn't have enough pitch for that snow depth.

Skied right to our car, no walking required.

tnt1234

Skied right to our car, no walking required.

So is that hunter north, or the main face? Just trying to figure out the logistics of what you guys did.

What a f-ing day you must have had....awesome.

KustyTheKlown

its a year in review top stories type thing, but it def isnt very clear that its an old article.

JimG.

Staff member
Speaking of expansion, does Hunter plan to open anything on the west side other than Wayout this season? Surprised they didn't get Clair's open for the holidays and I see it is still not open.

catskillman

That story is from almost a year ago.

No - the death occurred last week. College kid from Little Falls NY. Pronounced dead at the mountain. Went off trail and smashed into boulders.

same old story

catskillman

Yup...they re-posted the article as one of their "top 10 stories of 2019" hence the reason it "looks" like it has a new date.

A college kid died there 1 week ago today. From Little Falls NY. Sad but true.

cdskier

A college kid died there 1 week ago today. From Little Falls NY. Sad but true.

Then link to the correct article because the kid mentioned in that particular article (from Little Falls, NY) that you posted died in January 2019.

jaytrem

JimG.

Staff member
Speaking of expansion, does Hunter plan to open anything on the west side other than Wayout this season? Surprised they didn't get Clair's open for the holidays and I see it is still not open.

bump

Scruffy

Rumor has it that there was a water pipe breakage on upper Clair's. They blew snow on lower last week or just before the Xmas break, but the upper part is bare yet. Rumor also has it that the water pipe break was fixed, so now they are waiting on weather to make snow.