• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

Super bummed out. I've been in a great place with working out and my Peloton. Took a spill while skiing yesterday. Went to the ortho today and found out I tore the big muscle in my left calf. Crutches for 7-10 days and no skiing or riding for a while. I'll find out more next week at the follow up. Was so looking forward to the next two weekends at SB. ��

baseconsolidation

Did the same thing last year in egans woods last March. Got turned around and leaned forward as backs of skis got stuck in the snow. Was really bad for a few weeks but with pt i was back on skis in a few weeks. I think skiing was better than walking, definitely better than stairs. How bad is the tear?

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scruffy

Tore my calf badly during a GS race a number of years ago. It had snowed heavily the night before and it was warm so it was manky snow. I got ejected from the course and into a big wet pile of snow--skis stopped abruptly while body was flying. Bindings did not release. Anyway, I'm sure you'll learn all this during PT, but you want to get as much blood flow into the injury as possible to facilitate healing. Ice 10 minutes on and 10 minutes off--this causes a blood flow rush into area during the off cycle. Go see a sports rehabilitation massage therapist a.k.a clinical massage therapist, as well as any P.T. I was skiing again in 5 weeks, YMMV, every injury is different. Heal quickly.

Last edited:

pinnoke

Super bummed out. I've been in a great place with working out and my Peloton. Took a spill while skiing yesterday. Went to the ortho today and found out I tore the big muscle in my left calf. Crutches for 7-10 days and no skiing or riding for a while. I'll find out more next week at the follow up. Was so looking forward to the next two weekends at SB. ��

Good luck with your recovery and temporary absence from the slopes. Groundhog Day was the ninth anniversary of my surgical reconstruction of the knee 'cords' I 'ripped' on Ripcord. Injuries can occur anywhere...woods; groomers; bunny slopes; slips/falls. You'll come back strong and will do all you can to avoid any repeats! Sorry to hear. But, know that you've got plenty of support to get you back on boards when you're able (don't rush it). I think the groundhog has predicted an awesome 20-21 season!

urungus

That sucks. Hang in there, do your PT and you will be back out there before long. I’m still recovering from broken arm so I know what you’re going through. Hopefully season lasts until May and we will be back out there

mikec142

Thanks guys! I know it's a temporary setback. But it stings a bit as the season feels like it's picking up and we were about to book a trip out west. Now I'm gonna hold off on out west and wait to hear what the doctor says next week. I was looking forward to breaking the 20 day mark for the first time in years...I've been around 15-18 days for a while now. I think we are going to head up to VT over President's Day anyway. We were planning to go with another family and ski SB and MRG. My kids can still ski with their friends and I can nurse a beer or two anywhere. :)

Hawk

Being hurt sucks. I know this first hand. But you just have to put your head down and push through it. Stay positive, stay committed to the PT process and we will see you on the slopes soon dude. Good luck.

HowieT2

Thanks guys! I know it's a temporary setback. But it stings a bit as the season feels like it's picking up and we were about to book a trip out west. Now I'm gonna hold off on out west and wait to hear what the doctor says next week. I was looking forward to breaking the 20 day mark for the first time in years...I've been around 15-18 days for a while now. I think we are going to head up to VT over President's Day anyway. We were planning to go with another family and ski SB and MRG. My kids can still ski with their friends and I can nurse a beer or two anywhere. :)

Sorry to hear but you'll heal up sooner than you think. Friend tore his calf a few years ago at Jay and he was back in no time. In the future, you want to time your injuries a little better. Like mid to late march.

skiur

Sorry to hear but you'll heal up sooner than you think. Friend tore his calf a few years ago at Jay and he was back in no time. In the future, you want to time your injuries a little better. Like mid to late march.

Why would you want to get injured in mid to late March? Thats when things start to really get good!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why would you want to get injured in mid to late March? Thats when things start to really get good!
On the balance, there's greater potential for good days 2/1-3/15 than 3/15-5/1. I say that as someone who loves the corn season as much as the next guy, but for every great, sunny, corn day in April, there's either a cold coral reef surface day or rain.

Also, if the OP has kids, April starts to tighten up on free time with spring sports season.

I've suffered injuries that required a month rehab at both times of a ski season. Early Feb and late March. The early Feb injury had a much greater impact on the number of quality days I had that season.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

On the balance, there's greater potential for good days 2/1-3/15 than 3/15-5/1. I say that as someone who loves the corn season as much as the next guy, but for every great, sunny, corn day in April, there's either a cold coral reef surface day or rain.

Also, if the OP has kids, April starts to tighten up on free time with spring sports season.

I've suffered injuries that required a month rehab at both times of a ski season. Early Feb and late March. The early Feb injury had a much greater impact on the number of quality days I had that season.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Good point about the kids, luckily I dont have any of those, but late March is when the tailgating season starts, and I would say there are more good days between 3/15-6/1 as all you need for a good day is warm weather, a bbq and some beer.

BenedictGomez

Peak base depths in the east are generally mid to late'ish March. Most people are surprised by this, but it's true.

ducky

Nice 4"++ covering overnight but the freezing rain made it almost impossible. Got some good (woods) runs in but had to quit at lunchtime, like many others, as you could not see anything through iced goggles and somehow the goretex was frozen yet soaking wet. When we left it was 37˚ at the base and 22˚ on Rte 100 just as forecast. Roads pretty bad too even with studs. Hoping tomorrow brings the goods.

slatham

Nice 4"++ covering overnight but the freezing rain made it almost impossible. Got some good (woods) runs in but had to quit at lunchtime, like many others, as you could not see anything through iced goggles and somehow the goretex was frozen yet soaking wet. When we left it was 37˚ at the base and 22˚ on Rte 100 just as forecast. Roads pretty bad too even with studs. Hoping tomorrow brings the goods.

37 at base? Web site says 27 as do other weather stations. You have to go all the way to Rutland before the temp is above 30......

rocks860

I’m heading up on Saturday for the week, hopefully the roads will be ok by then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducky

37 at base? Web site says 27 as do other weather stations. You have to go all the way to Rutland before the temp is above 30......

Not to argue the point but that was in my truck actually here in the base parking lot rather than reading from a website. The engine had been off for 3-1/2 hours so not reading adjacent engine temps, I assume. We were soaked. It didn't drop below freezing until below Alpine Options. Josh Fox called it correctly with an inversion from 3,000'-5,000'. And it was windy on top coming right up Castlerock, which is unusual.

Considering it was a school snow day with 4" fresh snow, the main lot was not full. Maybe they were all at Mt Ellen.

Looking like the freezing rain won't be gone until roughly tomorrow after 1:00, then heavy snow. Sat might be the day if you can get here safely.

slatham

First of all, jealous I'm not there to ski and argue car temps vs web sites with you!

I find car temp gauges to be way less accurate, especially when the car is stationary, than the weather stations I have access too. I have also found the Sugarbush web site temps to be very accurate, as they too are taking a direct feed from a high end weather station that they own and have placed around the mountain (same one's they rely on to make snow).

I think the issue is that, even with cloud cover, solar radiation will impact the cars external temp reading. It would be interesting to see how residual heat from the engine block effects it too.

Now, if you had a legit thermometer I would stand down...

Josh is obviously right that there's an inversion and a warm layer causing non-snow. But the warm layer is much higher than 1,800' base elevation, and right now, even above summit elevation.

smac75

If anyone has 89N from NH road reports tonight would love to hear. Getting on the road from Boston area around 8pm.

ducky

If anyone has 89N from NH road reports tonight would love to hear. Getting on the road from Boston area around 8pm.

Was just nearby on Rte 100 in Moretown and it is icy, though the roads are clear and sanded and I was doing 50 - full-size truck, sand bags, new studded snows. Problem is the windscreen is icing over every 30 seconds and only blasting with lots of screenwash will clear it. ...Probably someone else here with access to very accurate online weather stations can tell it to you better though.

Seriously though, if you can get some deicing orange screenwash and fill your reservoir before you go, should be ok. Hope you have a safe drive up and some good snow tomorrow.

smac75

Was just nearby on Rte 100 in Moretown and it is icy, though the roads are clear and sanded and I was doing 50 - full-size truck, sand bags, new studded snows. Problem is the windscreen is icing over every 30 seconds and only blasting with lots of screenwash will clear it. ...Probably someone else here with access to very accurate online weather stations can tell it to you better though.

Seriously though, if you can get some deicing orange screenwash and fill your reservoir before you go, should be ok. Hope you have a safe drive up and some good snow tomorrow.

Thank you!!