• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SuperPasses 20/21

Zermatt

Ikon Passes are up for next season.

Full pass price is up, but renewal price is down from last year. Renewal was $930 last year I believe, now $900.

Unlimited at Sugarbush for full pass.

Base pass drops JH and Aspen (they are add ons for $150)

Base pass is unlimited at Stratton with blackout dates (not sure if that is a change).

Zand

Guess I need to decide now whether I'm going to Jackson or not next year. And if I do, might as well get the full pass as it would only be $100 more and I can avoid blackout dates.

Surprised Alta/Bird aren't on the add-on program. They've been crying louder than the Jackson people.

jaytrem

Interesting that a full IKON 1 adult + 2 child costs $70 less than an IKON Base Plus (unless you can mix and match passes, which I don't think you could do last year). Guess I played it right going to Aspen thins year. 99% sure I'll only be Epic next year anyway.

gregnye

I think Sugarbush will get more crowded next year, particularly when those that use up their days at Killington decide to drive the extra hour.

Also Jackson Hole will probably be more crowded this spring as a result of next year's pass restriction. I was considering a trip in April to Salt Lake City, but with Jackson hole no longer on the base pass next year, I probably should go to Jackson hole this year while I can (I've never been).

machski

I think Sugarbush will get more crowded next year, particularly when those that use up their days at Killington decide to drive the extra hour.

Also Jackson Hole will probably be more crowded this spring as a result of next year's pass restriction. I was considering a trip in April to Salt Lake City, but with Jackson hole no longer on the base pass next year, I probably should go to Jackson hole this year while I can (I've never been).
And why wouldn't folks have driven up to Sugarbush currently with the Ikon when their K days are used up? Just because it's unlimited at SB next year vs 5/7 this? That makes zero sense.

JH could see an uptick this spring, but I don't think the restriction will affect too many. Likely will generate a bit more revenue for Alterra as many may elect to step up to the full (or of Jackson/Aspen are in your plans and want to split the $ difference, you can).

Not surprised Snowbird is not on the base add on. Powdr is deep into the Ikon pass (Copper and Eldora are both unlimited even on base in CO). Locals may be bitching, but I doubt Powdr is.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

gregnye

And why wouldn't folks have driven up to Sugarbush currently with the Ikon when their K days are used up? Just because it's unlimited at SB next year vs 5/7 this? That makes zero sense.

There's something about having a restricted number of days that makes some people (myself included) more reluctant to use them/wanting to ration them for a powder day. Example: You really don't get that many days at K, particularly if you use one in early October when they open, and one in May when they are open late. Even more so since Pico is part of the combined 5-day total (dumbest thing ever).

With Sugarbush now unlimited, people will likely be more willing to show up even if the conditions are completely icy or sub-optimal, since it doesn't hurt their day count. In other words people will ski there more days next year--you'll probably also see more crowds when the conditions are not good.

KustyTheKlown

i ration my K days too. i pay super early season bc its not worth burning an ikon day that is worth ~$120 mid season. i'm down to 2 K days and i dont want to use them until april/may.

considering a K spring pass, but i still have champlain whiteface/gore (this weekend) and mad river/burke (sometime in march), and a magic 4-pack (gf and i 3/21 weekend). and i still have 4 loon, 4 SR, 2 SB, 2 Stratton, and 5 loaf. my office is closed for good friday april 10 so that sounds like a loaf opportunity.

i can pay at k in may for superstar t-shirt days i guess

abc

There's something about having a restricted number of days that makes some people (myself included) more reluctant to use them/wanting to ration them for a powder day. Example: You really don't get that many days at K, particularly if you use one in early October when they open, and one in May when they are open late. Even more so since Pico is part of the combined 5-day total (dumbest thing ever).

With Sugarbush now unlimited, people will likely be more willing to show up even if the conditions are completely icy or sub-optimal, since it doesn't hurt their day count. In other words people will ski there more days next year--you'll probably also see more crowds when the conditions are not good.
I definitely fit that pattern. (I posted similar on the other long running "Superpass crowd" thread)

Last year, I split my skiing between Stratton and Sugarbush. Only skied at Stratton when condition was marginal across the whole eastern seaboard. Only went to Sugarbush when condition were "expected" to be decent. Also, because Bush has a longer season than Stratton, I kept "planning" to go up later, which didn't happen.

As such, I only used 2-3 days of my ration of 5. Even though I had more than that when counting Stratton + Bush combined.

Next year, as both are unlimited, I'd more likely to go up to the Bush instead of just "settling" with Stratton. In fact, I might go up as soon as the new pass is valid this spring!

(On Epic this season, just to mix it up. Hit the mother load when Peak mountains were added)

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Guess I need to decide now whether I'm going to Jackson or not next year. And if I do, might as well get the full pass as it would only be $100 more and I can avoid blackout dates.

Surprised Alta/Bird aren't on the add-on program. They've been crying louder than the Jackson people.

So I just looked at both options and no change at all. What BS. Talk about tone-deaf. They could have EASILY moved to the $150 add on to have at least reduced crowding. Wow, just wow.

abc

So I just looked at both options and no change at all. What BS. Talk about tone-deaf. They could have EASILY moved to the $150 add on to have at least reduced crowding. Wow, just wow.
You shouldn't have been surprised.

JH and Aspen added Ikon benefit to their own pass last year! Bird did not.

You've seen it coming. You just didn't want to believe it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You shouldn't have been surprised.

JH and Aspen added Ikon benefit to their own pass last year! Bird did not.

You've seen it coming. You just didn't want to believe it.

As to "seeing it coming", you saw my post the other day in which I said it was my hope that they would reign it in, but would not be surprised if they did nothing and eff it up. That's what they did. As to really disappointed that Alta/Bird have just decided to bend over, yes.

abc

As to "seeing it coming", you saw my post the other day in which I said it was my hope that they would reign it in, but would not be surprised if they did nothing and eff it up. That's what they did. As to really disappointed that Alta/Bird have just decided to bend over, yes.
What do you think is the difference between Aspen/JH vs Alta/Bird?

It can't just be the Bird's management being "tone dead", I suspect.

Zand

I don't see this changing anything at Aspen or JH either. $150 for the add-on is less than a single day ticket so anyone who wants to go there still will.

abc

I don't see this changing anything at Aspen or JH either. $150 for the add-on is less than a single day ticket so anyone who wants to go there still will.
You're thinking as a eastern skier. JH and Aspen will totally welcome you with open arms, because you'll be paying for lodging and food the whole time you're there.

But the Colorado mobs may choose NOT to go to Aspen and JH (and sleeping in their cars) as they got plenty of skiing at their doorstep without spending that extra $150. They're the ones Aspen/JH try to "discourage".

thetrailboss

Staff member
What do you think is the difference between Aspen/JH vs Alta/Bird?

It can't just be the Bird's management being "tone dead", I suspect.

Aspen OWNS part of Alterra, so that change was a no-brainer and easy to appease their locals/

Jackson Hole spoke up LAST SEASON after its locals went batshit crazy and gave them IKON Base passes. So they spoke up again.

You must not know about WHO owns Snowbird now and his history of terrible business decisions. Just google "POWDR" and "Park City Lawsuit" and you'll quickly see how incompetent they are.

The next thing that I expect Snowbird to now do is to increase season pass prices and watch as those numbers continue to fall and wonder why that is.

AdironRider

You're thinking as a eastern skier. JH and Aspen will totally welcome you with open arms, because you'll be paying for lodging and food the whole time you're there.

But the Colorado mobs may choose NOT to go to Aspen and JH (and sleeping in their cars) as they got plenty of skiing at their doorstep without spending that extra $150. They're the ones Aspen/JH try to "discourage".

Ikon is still going to be the scarlet letter here in Jackson, and you will probably hear about it when you come. That will not change.

But the point of how the EC skier still needs to spend the better part of 2 grand between hotels, airfare and food to visit Jackson holds up. The CO/UT skier can spend 2 tanks of gas, sleep in their Subaru (or couch surf), and brown bag it and get a Jackson weekend in for under 100 bucks. Those dirtbags do nothing for us but make the skiing experience worse.

abc

Aspen OWNS part of Alterra, so that change was a no-brainer and easy to appease their locals/

Jackson Hole spoke up LAST SEASON after its locals went batshit crazy and gave them IKON Base passes. So they spoke up again.

You must not know about WHO owns Snowbird now and his history of terrible business decisions. Just google "POWDR" and "Park City Lawsuit" and you'll quickly see how incompetent they are.

The next thing that I expect Snowbird to now do is to increase season pass prices and watch as those numbers continue to fall and wonder why that is.
Ok, you maybe right on that last point there.