• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New storm on the way

KustyTheKlown

was summit char liftline officially open?

nope. upper never is open. my friend and i were the second set of tracks down it. it was best eastern run of the season. the liftline as seen in my photo is open (mountain run).

patrol got aggressive trying to snag people skiing the upper line.

dunno why whiteface doesnt have trails on the freeway and lookout liftlines (both of which i skied saturday). i know why the summit liftline is closed (ground power line running up the center and old cement blocks throughout the line).

deadheadskier

Staff member
I believe part of the reason is they are limited in the amount of acreage they can have per stupid state operating rules. At least that's what was mentioned here in the past. So, if WF was to add those lift lines as official trails, they would need to remove other trails or glades.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Ol Dirty Noodle

Gore was great Saturday and Sunday, shoulda hit The Rumor Saturday but I had a wild last night in VT and didn’t get down over to Gore til 12:30. Icy and a little bare but I made it down in like 4 minutes with only 1 slide out, lies was an ice sheet by the time I got to it around 12 Sunday. Chatterbrook or chatterbox glades next to wild air was fun on Saturday, skied the entire glade line from fox lair to chatterbrook to the lodge, what a workout

KustyTheKlown

ya ended my sunday with chatterbox glade.

skied the rumor earlyish and enjoyed some soft snow on the sides. that trail is just full of people who dont belong on it.

didn't make it to lies (decided to check out the narrows on my last straight brook run - darby>mineshaft>narrows is a fun one).

gore always delivers on my 1x/year visit.

JimG.

Staff member
lol sorry. mainly curious for your thoughts as a gore regular on why they would close the burnt ridge glades, especially when their snow report said 100%

ORDA has had a lot of trouble staffing patrollers this season. I believe that the lack of SP has something to do with them not opening terrain. It's been a problem at Belle as well, I've come across patrollers closing trails at 3:30 because they have to start sweep early for a lack of numbers.

KustyTheKlown

thanks. that was my suspicion. mineshaft glade was also closed for no good snow reason. for burnt ridge, i get it, those are expansive long glades. for mineshaft, i dont get it, its a little island of trees, i could sweep that thing in 2 minutes.

platty is getting unexpected lake effect. earlier today they posted about a surprise 3", and they just posted this pic which looks real nice to me. to platty i go for a saturday day trip.

platty.jpg

Ol Dirty Noodle

thanks. that was my suspicion. mineshaft glade was also closed for no good snow reason. for burnt ridge, i get it, those are expansive long glades. for mineshaft, i dont get it, its a little island of trees, i could sweep that thing in 2 minutes.

platty is getting unexpected lake effect. earlier today they posted about a surprise 3", and they just posted this pic which looks real nice to me. to platty i go for a saturday day trip.

View attachment 26506

I saw belle also got snow this afternoon too

drjeff

As a Northern NH weather update, at almost 10:30 on Wednesday, half way between Loon and Cannon, still hasn't frozen up down low (36 degrees at the hotel I'm at now) and at some point in the last couple of hours, maybe a half inch of snow fell...

3 days at Cannon (more like Mittersill) coming up with my daughter for the Eastern Highschool Championships

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

As a Northern NH weather update, at almost 10:30 on Wednesday, half way between Loon and Cannon, still hasn't frozen up down low (36 degrees at the hotel I'm at now) and at some point in the last couple of hours, maybe a half inch of snow fell...

3 days at Cannon (more like Mittersill) coming up with my daughter for the Eastern Highschool Championships

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Good luck. It should be in good “race shape” from reports I have heard. By race shape I mean icy.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mbedle

I don't think the conditions in northern Vermont could get any worst than yesterday. I don't anticipate that today is going to be any better.

kingslug

Well damn..The Park City weather report turned around quick. from high 40's to 30's and snow...
I could use some after the last 2 weeks of no skiing and some rather sad times ...

KustyTheKlown

yea, sunday looks like fun spring skiing, but with the fri>sat storm being mostly a miss saturday looks to be dust on crust. dust if we're lucky. i'm going to plattekill. they got 3" yesterday afternoon and then posted more snow in the evening, and they are better positioned to score a little on friday night. easy day trip for me under 3 hours each way so no stress if it isnt great. and i get to support platty which i didnt think i'd get to do this year.

i'm lobbying hard for my company to do a mountain rental next year, but i'm in the minority. we spend the same money on NYC open bars for staff like once a month, but platty would involve a no work day for the company, transport logistics, etc. but im trying.

JimG.

Staff member
yea, sunday looks like fun spring skiing, but with the fri>sat storm being mostly a miss saturday looks to be dust on crust. dust if we're lucky. i'm going to plattekill. they got 3" yesterday afternoon and then posted more snow in the evening, and they are better positioned to score a little on friday night. easy day trip for me under 3 hours each way so no stress if it isnt great. and i get to support platty which i didnt think i'd get to do this year.

i'm lobbying hard for my company to do a mountain rental next year, but i'm in the minority. we spend the same money on NYC open bars for staff like once a month, but platty would involve a no work day for the company, transport logistics, etc. but im trying.

I was at Belleayre yesterday. I went expecting nothing and they got 3"or so. Then it cleared up and got sunny. High's upper 30's lower 40's. Everything in shade was powdery but firm underneath and everything in the sun got corny. Bumps need some skiing in but conditions were fantastic. I was amazed and I think Platty is a good call for the weekend.

It was nice to see bumps on 5 trails 3 of which (Onteora, Winnisook and Tongora) are bumping up top to bottom. More props to Joe for making that happen.

sledride

Platty was not very good today. Choice of dust on crust or super soupy in the sun. Woods are toast.

KustyTheKlown

Platty was not very good today. Choice of dust on crust or super soupy in the sun. Woods are toast.

I wouldn’t go that far. You need to know what you’re walking in to. It’s the catskills, 80” cumulative for the season, after a rainy week, with some snow on the backside. They were almost entirely open and it wasn’t boilerplate anywhere. The only place that was soupy was lower face which gets slammed in the sun. Upper and lower face actually skied beautifully in the morning and it was worth the 5 min hike before they opened the triple. Woods obviously were not very good given the snow situation but the highest upper mountain bike trails off the double were ok enough to try once. Considering the winter they’ve had, sat was fine at platty. Not great and not terrible. Got after it early, skied my 20k vert, grabbed a wax sharpen base grind while having a beer, got home by 530. Love that kind of day.

Last edited: