• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who Has Bought Their 20/21 Pass Already?

BenedictGomez

First thing that entered my mind too. They probably did "find" others...but they didn't fit the story they were trying to tell.

This.

I created a FB page largely to follow western media sources from places like Utah, Idaho, Colorado, etc.. to get local news & cultural information & flavor since we're considering moving out west, and that paper is egregiously biased. Virtually every article they post has some sort of agenda or ulterior motive.

slatham

Agreed, also, why let Ikon make interest on your money while you can?

Ok sorry to be a finance geek, and I get and agree with the sentiment, but one months interest on $600 at 1/2% (if lucky) is 25 CENTS.

Jcb890

Ok sorry to be a finance geek, and I get and agree with the sentiment, but one months interest on $600 at 1/2% (if lucky) is 25 CENTS.
Just FYI - everyone can easily get 1%+ or 1.5%+.
One of the biggest, easiest-to-use online accounts, Ally Bank is 1.5%.

BenedictGomez

I'd point out two things on that:

1) It's a behavioral thing, so chances are if you're the sort of person who pays needlessly early for this you may be the sort who pays needlessly early for all sorts of things, so the cumulative effect over years could be large. Or perhaps you needlessly get an unnecessarily large tax refund, etc... I think this is the sentiment people are expressing. I know I am. Kills me to think of people needlessly paying early for this-and-that.

2) Rotting in a bank account isn't the only place to put the $600. You can easily move funds instantly in/out of equity trading accounts, etc. which offer potentially much larger return.

slatham

Just FYI - everyone can easily get 1%+ or 1.5%+.
One of the biggest, easiest-to-use online accounts, Ally Bank is 1.5%.

Ok, so 75 cents. From a purely financial perspective its irrelevant. Philosophically it might not be.

slatham

Indy is the winner on protecting the 20/21 season. They also just added Cannon:

Indy also introduced what is probably the most straightforward pass protection plan yet, as it is not tied to government shutdowns or Covid-19 or alligator attacks or anything other than how many days a skier scans the pass. Use it zero days, get an 80 percent credit toward at 2021-22 pass, and the credit scales down from there: one day gets a 60 percent credit, two days is 40 percent, three days is 20.

Edd

I just got a surprise discount code for the Epic Pass. I had a Peak Traveler last season. No Epic. Did not expect reimbursement for Peak passes.

Something I don’t understand. I’ve been given two separate discount codes for two separate pass products. One product is the Peak Traveler, which makes sense. They’re crediting me $65 or so for that.

The other is for something called “3 X”. It says I purchased this for $149 and they’re crediting me $79 for that.

I have no idea what the second item is. It says I can use one of these discounts. Anyone understand this? I did not visit an Epic resort last year outside of Peak areas.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

boston_e

The fact that this guy chooses to ski four times by mid March is not on the resorts, that is on him! In addition, maybe this is a case where someone is being cheap. Any of the mega passes offer a ton of skiing/snowboarding and experiences to travel for a decent price and multiple offerings.

For the fellow in the article where he lives in Salt Lake area then yes one could say it is on him, but with the way the resorts have set up the season pass / day ticket cost structure, it encourages the purchase of passes that can be justified without getting too many days in.

A fair number of people who don't live in mountain areas justify their passes from one big trip, and if they get a few extra days thats just a bonus. I'm sure anyone who had a march trip planned definitely feel like they had the rug pulled out from under them (and a lot of states have their school break in March. The 2 breaks in Feb and April seems to be mostly a New England thing).

thebigo

I just got a surprise discount code for the Epic Pass. I had a Peak Traveler last season. No Epic. Did not expect reimbursement for Peak passes.

Something I don’t understand. I’ve been given two separate discount codes for two separate pass products. One product is the Peak Traveler, which makes sense. They’re crediting me $65 or so for that.

The other is for something called “3 X”. It says I purchased this for $149 and they’re crediting me $79 for that.

I have no idea what the second item is. It says I can use one of these discounts. Anyone understand this? I did not visit an Epic resort last year outside of Peak areas.

We got the same email. Lists 50 days for me on the pass, actual was 54, with a credit of $125.80. Lists 5 days for the wife, actual was 10, same credit $125.80. I guess no credit on the kids passes, not that I expected one; honestly I don't think any credit was needed but not going to turn down free money. The $600 I got back between Vail and Killington will cover my pass next year.

Nothing about 3X for us.

prsboogie

We got the same email. Lists 50 days for me on the pass, actual was 54, with a credit of $125.80. Lists 5 days for the wife, actual was 10, same credit $125.80. I guess no credit on the kids passes, not that I expected one; honestly I don't think any credit was needed but not going to turn down free money. The $600 I got back between Vail and Killington will cover my pass next year.

Nothing about 3X for us.
Surprised you didn't get anything for the kids. We did.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

I'm sure anyone who had a march trip planned definitely feel like they had the rug pulled out from under them (and a lot of states have their school break in March.

Not just with season passes, I think that likely happens more with vouchers. I had a bunch of Ski Vermont VIP vouchers saved specifically to use at Smuggs, and it seems like Ski Vermont wont be honoring them. Hundreds down the toilet.

<----- Not buying Ski Vermont vouchers next season

Smellytele

Not just with season passes, I think that likely happens more with vouchers. I had a bunch of Ski Vermont VIP vouchers saved specifically to use at Smuggs, and it seems like Ski Vermont wont be honoring them. Hundreds down the toilet.

<----- Not buying Ski Vermont vouchers next season

+1.
Mine were saved for K and Magic. Did use them for Stowe and the ‘bush so got some use from them but still won’t be getting them next year

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mbedle

Did you purchase a 3X card to use at Hunter?

BenedictGomez

+1.
Mine were saved for K and Magic.
Did use them for Stowe and the ‘bush so got some use from them but still won’t be getting them next year

Does anyone know any other lift ticket or voucher sellers who just told people to shove it, besides SKI Vermont?

I could be wrong & probably am, but AFAIK Ski Vermont is the only entity not honoring things like pre-paid vouchers or pre-paid lift tickets next season, for at least a limited spell (e.g. open to December 20th or March 1st to close). Even some season pass products, which you could certainly make the argument have far less reason to make any concessions at all, are doing so.

catskillman

I got the same credit for a 3X card. I have never purchased one of these.

sull1102

Does anyone know any other lift ticket or voucher sellers who just told people to shove it, besides SKI Vermont?

I could be wrong & probably am, but AFAIK Ski Vermont is the only entity not honoring things like pre-paid vouchers or pre-paid lift tickets next season, for at least a limited spell (e.g. open to December 20th or March 1st to close). Even some season pass products, which you could certainly make the argument have far less reason to make any concessions at all, are doing so.

Got burned on 3 of them, but at least the one I did use was at Stowe. I'm really surprised by their move to just say too bad. I wonder if they have a way to see how many were remaining at the end of the season. Perhaps they felt there either weren't enough out there to make it worth it OR the vast majority of passes are still out there.