• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Squaw Valley is now not racist

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyone who claims "squaw" is contemporarily used colloquially as a common anti-indian slur is completely full of s**t.

And as someone who owns more books on Colonial American history than most people own books, I hesitate to believe "squaw" was ever widely used as an anti-Indian pejorative. Nevertheless, conceding that it may have been 170 or 200 years ago doesnt change the fact that it certainly isnt today.

Once again,as is common in 2020, this largely self-righteous & phony, attention-seeking virtue-signalling.

Damn

AZs owner of the largest book quiver and foremost expert on Colonial American History.

The BG legend grows

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

He is usually spot on with all his post, even if "you" don't agree with his facts and or opinions.

And I dont care if people dont agree with me; disagreement's great. You learn that way; but prove it.

As usual, there's no substance to his post(s) relevant to the topic, just frivolous nasty comments. By a "mod". lol

BenedictGomez

Has anyone ever seen him ski?

Ski? How do you know I'm not a Russian bot?
That's the other thing you do in 2020 if you disagree with anyone on "teh internetz", just say it's a Russian bot.

Once winter comes his focus switches to how dangerous it is to drive in any accumulation.

Given I'm the guy who buys hoards of single day tickets, ski vouchers, and BOGOs, pre-season so he can last minute point his vehicle into the teeth of the best storms of the season, you obviously have me confused with someone else.

Also, there are at least 5 or 6 people here who've seen first-hand what a terrible skier I am!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Has anyone ever seen him ski?
Your creepy obsession with me grows.

I live rent free in DHS' head (though I dont want the limited acreage of the real estate).
Lol Hardly

I and many others just think it's hilarious and quite frankly, socially juvenile that you literally can't have a single discussion these days without some Richard waving statement that you're the foremost expert on whatever the subject is at hand.

This is by no means political, but your posts read like Trump tweets. "Nobody knows about blank blank blank more than I do. Nobody." You're tremendously smart, rich, handsome and athletic BG. Tremendously!

You really can have a conversation without stating how smart you are and get your point across without looking like a 14 year old boy. Try it sometime [emoji2]

BenedictGomez

Lol Hardly

I and many others just think it's hilarious and quite frankly, socially juvenile that you literally can't have a single discussion these days without some Richard waving statement that you're the foremost expert on whatever the subject is at hand.

This is by no means political, but your posts read like Trump tweets. "Nobody knows about blank blank blank more than I do. Nobody." You're tremendously smart, rich, handsome and athletic BG. Tremendously!

You really can have a conversation without stating how smart you are and get your point across without looking like a 14 year old boy. Try it sometime [emoji2]

Copy/Paste

As usual, there's no substance to his post(s) relevant to the topic, just frivolous nasty comments. By a "mod". lol

No substance. No facts regarding the subject. Once again, just feces throwing. By a "mod".

Dickc

Lol Hardly

Hey,hey, hey, please do not use my name in vain!!!!!! :p

ceo

See, Bellayre and Elk's trails are named after (presumably) local Native tribes, which in my entirely white opinion is just fine. The area that really needs to change its trail names on this basis is Nashoba, where they're mostly named after long-outdated stereotypical "Indian" words like "wardance", "papoose" etc. (although not "squaw", to their credit).

kbroderick

See, Bellayre and Elk's trails are named after (presumably) local Native tribes, which in my entirely white opinion is just fine. The area that really needs to change its trail names on this basis is Nashoba, where they're mostly named after long-outdated stereotypical "Indian" words like "wardance", "papoose" etc. (although not "squaw", to their credit).

Okemo also has a "Chief" and a "Wardance", perhaps others. I don't see that as particularly problematic unless there's a specific, pejorative connotation associated with the word. But that's also an entirely white opinion, so I'd defer to the long-abused groups whose terms we're appropriating if they disagree.

kbroderick

Anyone who claims "squaw" is contemporarily used colloquially as a common anti-indian slur is completely full of s**t.

And as someone who owns more books on Colonial American history than most people own books, I hesitate to believe "squaw" was ever widely used as an anti-Indian pejorative. Nevertheless, conceding that it may have been 170 or 200 years ago doesnt change the fact that it certainly isnt today.

It was widely used as a term to describe native women during a time period when they were largely seen as subhuman and treated as such, correct? That, IMO, is enough to warrant deferring to native groups if they say, "the history of this word makes it offensive / dehumanizing / etc, please don't use it."

And I recall being told of it being used as an anti-native slur while living in Montana, where anti-native sentiment is a very, very real and current thing, as it is in the Dakotas. If you want further proof of those attitudes, go find an article in any major Dakota paper about any native protest action, and read the comments.

BenedictGomez

So now actual physical items which exist in the real world (papoose) and actual historical rituals (wardance) which existed in culture are both racist too! Simply amazing! I guess all beginner trails named Chipmunk, Possum, Coyote, need to go next.

And you really needn't inform us that you're "white", your tortuously desperate attempt at virtue-signalling told the tale.

BenedictGomez

It was widely used as a term to describe native women during a time period when they were largely seen as subhuman and treated as such, correct?

In 1870? When exactly are you claiming this was in "wide usage" in the English language as a racist term?

I've read tons of contemporary writings from the 18th century to mid-19th century on American history & have read more times than I can count Indians referred to in terrible ways, "monsters", "beasts", "savages", "creatures", "animals", numerous Latin words that I had to look up because I cant speak Latin, and others. Horrible stuff. But I cant recall hearing squaw, which is derived from an actual Indian word used as a racist insult, let alone commonly. So it aint common.

And I cant seem to find much of anything claiming "squaw" is a racist term other than in very recent years. Which makes sense given Squaw Valley is nearly 75 years old, and all of a sudden this is instantly a massive Civil Rights issue (sarcasm) that was apparently hiding in plain sight for the better part of a century. In far-left, uber liberal California no less!!! As if a racist name would have been allowed for 75 minutes in California let alone 75 years.

No, the Occam's Razor answer is that this is yet another example of a nouveau faux-woke, faux outrage issue born from (surely white) Social Justice Warrior academia. C'est 2020.

Last edited:

gittist

Is there anything that's not offensive to someone? Let's do away with all city, town, and street names and go to numbers. Okemo will become Ski Slope 1 at 05149 VT. the Washington Redskins will be Football team 1 at 20001, DC. But we probably need to get rid of state names too, I'm sure a few of them are offensive to someone.

oh, never mind Okemo. We can't use Ski, that's offensive to the Polish. Slope is out also due to the offensiveness of slopehead, as well as the number one because it's elitist.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

we probably need to get rid of state names too, I'm sure a few of them are offensive to someone.

As I mentioned before, New York State & New York City are named in honor of the Duke of York, who chartered the area in the 17th century.

That Duke was also, numerically, one of, if not the largest slave trader in the history of the world. And I mean that, literally, not hyperbolically.

Where's all the clamoring from the (surely white) Social Justice Warriors that the state name must be changed? Crickets. I'll let others talk among themselves about how that's possible. I think I know.