• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

Slidebrook87

It's all nothing new. Except that before you'll ski you'll get a "sign here please" saying you quarantined.

Most resorts already were collecting contact tracing info- name, age, phone number, email, address.

Someone should do a mock-up report of this pandemic if it had happened 20 years ago. I couldn't even imagine. I feel like today this virus makes things a PITA, back then without all the online logistics and internet and everything things would've been hellova lot different.

^ this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatham

https://accd.vermont.gov/sites/accdnew/files/documents/Vermont%20Ski%20Resort%20COVID-19%20Winter%20Operations%20Guidance%20-%202020-11-03.pdf

Here are the full guidelines.

Not really too surprised. I guess the attestation and loss ski privledges is stronger than expected. But I also thought out of state workers would be outright banned unless a green county or quarantine.

I am disappointed that the cross-state travel rules haven't been made more practical and focused on "exposure" vs. a "quarantine". Or positivity rate vs. number of active cases. I guess there is still hope.

As a side note, I love to snowshoe......

icecoast1

Here is a nice summary of the ski area rules issued today by Vermont.

3. Ski areas must reduce the number of out-of-state staff.

That one will be interesting thrown on top of no foreign workers. The mountains better hope the locals want to be a ski bum for a winter

abc

My wife an I have snowshoes. Truth is, snowshoeing sucks.
I'm going to have to try it. (I have a pendent to try things that are hard)

- Skiing down the hill was easy, but no, I had to kick and glide on xc skis.
- Once I got a hang of gliding on each kick and can get around rolling terrain alright, I have to take up telemark, skinning UP hills.
- Where there's no mountain and xc skiing is too easy (lower Hudson valley), I need to learn to skate ski just to "make work" for myself!
- Now someone said snowshoe sucks? I'd better give it a try... no glide even on downhills, that sounds just like my kind of fun! ;)

I actually have a pair of snowshoe from someone who got too much gear. But between a lot of trips out west and skate skiing near home, I never had time to actually use it. Perhaps this is the winter it gets some use as I'm about to decide NOT to buy a pass (hence no downhill skiing)

NYDB

They'll be scoring empty powder days in VT while everyone else is quarantined

More stimulus is on its way no matter who wins tonight

JimG.

Staff member
Without insider info, it's impossible to know what the answer to the "to run, or not to run" question is. That said, I'd caution anyone cheering on quarantines that limit out of state visitors to be careful what they wish for both in terms of 2020/2021 operating budgets and increasing the likelihood that not all the VT ski areas make it though the season alive.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

This!

VTer's wishing for locals only skiing may need to buy touring gear to ski at all.

machski

yes I agree with you BG. That's how I read it. so honestly that should be pretty easy. If you have a pass or bought a ticket online, they have your info.

no big deal...
Yes, but dig deeper. A list of daily skiers/riders and their contact information is not enough for the State of Vermont. The resorts will also have to collect said data AGAIN for all patrons utilizing lodges and dining facilities on mountain separate from the ticket use lists. Talk about a bureaucratic nightmare!!

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Yes, but dig deeper. A list of daily skiers/riders and their contact information is not enough for the State of Vermont. The resorts will also have to collect said data AGAIN for all patrons utilizing lodges and dining facilities on mountain separate from the ticket use lists. Talk about a bureaucratic nightmare!!

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Scan your ticket/pass when you enter and exit said lodge.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

So will scanning my pass at the lift be enough for the State of VT registration or do you envision physical paper work that must be filled out?
My hunch, just like with a season pass where you sign a liability release once before the season begins, that they'll be a one time "I agree to follow the travel rules of VT" disclaimer

Sent from my SM-G986U using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Ok..so you fill out forms..sign things ..scan things..How will they know who broke the rules? How do you enforce this?

The reality is, unless VT suddenly develops and implements a plan where they stop EVERY vehicle at EVERY border crossing in the entire state, and then do follow up checks, basically daily, for the entire quarantine period, with where all of those vehicles say that they're going, they can't. And I highly doubt that VT has both the available manpower and/or available funding to implement such draconian measures, and if they did, chances are there's more than a few judges that would rule against such actions by the state.

tumbler

I think that there will be a lot of full time occupied second homes this winter with kids doing remote school and parents WFH.

Slidebrook87

I think that there will be a lot of full time occupied second homes this winter with kids doing remote school and parents WFH.

I agree, but I also think most of the people that skied on weekends last year will continue to do so. Some won’t, but the guidelines really don’t mean shit unless it involves shutting down the borders or closing ski resorts altogether which as mentioned, is not a feasible option. Ikon and Epic passes have seen record sales and a lot of people want to ski. My feeling is that Vermont is just trying to deter as much people from coming as possible by putting out new rules that could turn away some. They know they ultimately have no control over it, nor do the resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk