• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

chuckstah

That would be pretty shocking if true, and would basically render Vermont's "lowest COVID19 positivity" rate in America completely null & void in my opinion. Not saying you're wrong, just saying it's hard for me to believe, and I think if that were the case somebody in the Vermont media like a VTDigger would have been all over this, or somebody who understands statistics & the various tests available in healthcare would have gone to the media to call BS on Vermont's low COVID19 infection data. Net/net, in the event you are correct, I assure you Vermont has had many, many, many, many more COVID19 cases than they are reporting to the public.
It is indeed true. Here in NH counts are much higher, but include all tests. VT is sandbagging the numbers.

VTKilarney

That would be pretty shocking if true, and would basically render Vermont's "lowest COVID19 positivity" rate in America completely null & void in my opinion. Not saying you're wrong, just saying it's hard for me to believe, and I think if that were the case somebody in the Vermont media like a VTDigger would have been all over this, or somebody who understands statistics & the various tests available in healthcare would have gone to the media to call BS on Vermont's low COVID19 infection data. Net/net, in the event you are correct, I assure you Vermont has had many, many, many, many more COVID19 cases than they are reporting to the public.
These articles confirm it.

I can also say from first hand experience that there is no contact tracing after a positive antigen test.

skiur

If a few days is 2 or 3 that's a hard no.

Won't be able to open top to bottom until at least the end of next week when colder air arrives.

If they wanted to they could be open by Wednesday. I doubt they want too.

cdskier

Why is it shocking? NJ doesn't include rapid test results in their numbers either. No idea what the logic behind that is...but there's a bunch of states that don't include the antigen results in official numbers. I don't agree with that inconsistency, but it definitely isn't just VT that's essentially under-reporting by excluding the rapid tests from numbers.

machski

If they wanted to they could be open by Wednesday. I doubt they want too.
Why do people keep saying "of they wanted to open they could but won't?". They have been very clear what they need to open this season terrain wise, which is a hell of a lot more than a normal Killington fall open. It has nothing to do with them not wanting to open, it is that they have to do it right or bring the State of Vermont down on them and shut it down.

Everywhere is the same. SR had originally wanted to open ASAP with TTB and just Locke Triple in play. That changed to needing multiple lifts and trails (plus a little randsomwear attack taking out their pass/ticketing systems) due to the virus.

In the end, many areas wanted to be open by now even with the larger terrain needed. Mother nature has decided to not play nice. Wait, we'll get there hopefully before it all gets locked down again.

skiur

Why do people keep saying "of they wanted to open they could but won't?". They have been very clear what they need to open this season terrain wise, which is a hell of a lot more than a normal Killington fall open. It has nothing to do with them not wanting to open, it is that they have to do it right or bring the State of Vermont down on them and shut it down.

Everywhere is the same. SR had originally wanted to open ASAP with TTB and just Locke Triple in play. That changed to needing multiple lifts and trails (plus a little randsomwear attack taking out their pass/ticketing systems) due to the virus.

In the end, many areas wanted to be open by now even with the larger terrain needed. Mother nature has decided to not play nice. Wait, we'll get there hopefully before it all gets locked down again.

I'm not talking about the stairway, people forget that K used to always be the first to open ttb. They have blown on GN from top to bunny buster down for two days and opened. Would not be a problem to add upper mouse run to that and then spin K1, north ridge quad, and snowdon triple which would be enough lifts for pandemic skiing. I understand why they aren't opening Wednesday, but with the current forecast and the need to spread out due to covid, they still could.

ski&soccermom

Does anyone know if Gov. Scott is part of Cuomo’s summit this weekend? I read a half dozen articles and some say he is, and others say he isn’t... I think linking VT to MA, CT, NY, NJ is key for so many of us...

BenedictGomez

NJ doesn't include rapid test results in their numbers either. No idea what the logic behind that is...but there's a bunch of states that don't include the antigen results in official numbers. I don't agree with that inconsistency, but it definitely isn't just VT that's essentially under-reporting by excluding the rapid tests from numbers.

Any state that isnt including all forms of testing in their numbers is undercounting COVID19 cases to a certain degree, some more than others depending upon which test(s) they choose to exclude. I have a big problem with those not including affirmative IgM & IgG figures as well. That makes absolutely no sense & IMO could result in the largest number of undercounted cases.

kingslug

I'm going to skip opening week and see what happens..not interested in the insanity I think will go on. People have been very cooped up for a while. Might as well wait for more terrain to open up..if it does open up. Going to investigate hike to skiing areas.

Shredmonkey254

Guns are on at Okemo this morning.
Looking at all the webcams this morning, It’s interesting that the Epic areas are/have been blowing snow (mt.snow, okemo, stowe) while the Icon areas have not done anything yet (stratton, sugarbush). Seems like a corporate decision and wondering if it’s weather related or COVID related.

cdskier

Looking at all the webcams this morning, It’s interesting that the Epic areas are/have been blowing snow (mt.snow, okemo, stowe) while the Icon areas have not done anything yet (stratton, sugarbush). Seems like a corporate decision and wondering if it’s weather related or COVID related.
Sugarbush doesn't really have a good webcam view showing the top of the mountain. Down low on the trails you can actually see from the webcams they simply didn't have good temps anytime I looked (or the window was very small where they were decent). There's a possibility they were making snow up high on Jester. That's really the only place they had cold enough temps. We'll see what happens tonight.

FWIW, they were making snow already this year on the lower mountain trails, but it all melted now. So it isn't like they didn't try and did nothing yet.