• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

p_levert

After further analysis, I have concluded that the two ski areas will come from this list:

1. Snow Ridge
2. Song
3. Toggenburg
4. Willard

But I can't figure out which two it will be. I guess I will roll with Willard and Song.

p_levert

Cornhead

Harvey is going to be pissed. A worldwide exclusive denied!

OTOH, Snow Ridge is a nice addition. Not a lot of vert, but a sh*tpile of snow and some nice steep trees.
Perfect, hasn't been a ton of lake snow the last couple seasons. I've been eschewing SR for McCauley, but would love to ski it at least twice this year. Nowhere near the terrain of McCauley, but they do normally get more snow. I like them both.

Thuroughly enjoyed posting TRs from there several years ago when NE was getting squat. A foot is a dusting for them. Only place I ever got stuck on skis.

Last edited:

Zand

its snow ridge, and someplace in wyoming.

skimag spilled beans

Are we talking Targhee, or some random place in the middle of nowhere that you can't get to from Jackson?

Oops...didnt scroll far enough. But turns out its the 2nd choice in my question.

EPB

Good for Snow Ridge. Made it there once when I was studying in the greater area (loosely defined). Think I got a $10 or $15 Friday student ticket. Skied in some 32-34 degree light lake effect. Tons of snow on the ground compared to Syracuse and further south. As mentioned, short vert, but there is some fun stuff on the skier's left of the main area. In this environment, it could definitely be worth it to check out if VT logistics become too cumbersome.

KustyTheKlown

i got an indy pass (and an ikon base, and a magic sundays pass). stoked for the jay, cannon, bolton, and magic days. stoked to check out berkshire east and catamount with very low expectations.

was also thinking about an off the beaten path western trip for the spring if the world situation has substantially improved by march.

fly to boise > ski tamarack (indy) > ski brundage (indy) > ski big sky (ikon) > ski beaver (indy) > fly home from boise

looks like an epic loop thru Idaho Montana and Northern Utah. Would get me to some interesting looking new places I haven't been before, which I imagine will be less crowded than the more typical contenders. and then get 5 days in big sky midweek when its manageable. also have a friend who just relocated to bozeman.

this is my hope for march. i'm not holding my breath. but this is my hope

1605641110690.png

jaytrem

Cool, supposed to be at Antelope Butte in early March. Had to wait years for it to reopen for the Red Lodge->SD->small Wyoming trip.

Zand

i wouldnt "someplace in wyoming" targhee, targhee rules :p
That's why I said "or" haha.

I have Ikon and Indy. Decided against any VT passes based on the quarantine rules. If they loosen them up then I'll have plenty of Ikon and Indy days to use there anyway. I've actually flown three times since July and haven't felt uncomfortable doing it (granted it was with a half full flight each time) so with NH, NY, and MA really being the only states accessible right now i can see myself getting more days out west this year than in the east. Especially with dirt cheap flights.

jaytrem

fly to boise > ski tamarack (indy) > ski brundage (indy) > ski big sky (ikon) > ski beaver (indy) > fly home from boise
Fly on Alaska and you can ski Bogus for free on your arrival day. Might be tricky to plan, but it's a real nice mountain (even if you have to pay).

Killingtime

i got an indy pass (and an ikon base, and a magic sundays pass). stoked for the jay, cannon, bolton, and magic days. stoked to check out berkshire east and catamount with very low expectations.

was also thinking about an off the beaten path western trip for the spring if the world situation has substantially improved by march.

looks like an epic loop thru Idaho Montana and Northern Utah. Would get me to some interesting looking new places I haven't been before, which I imagine will be less crowded than the more typical contenders. and then get 5 days in big sky midweek when its manageable. also have a friend who just relocated to bozeman.

this is my hope for march. i'm not holding my breath. but this is my hope

View attachment 42575
Sounds like a solid plan for the winter. Berkshire East and Catamount were both much better than I expected. Really liked Berkshire East and will go twice with my Indy Pass. Catamount is still a work in progress but also way better than the reviews I heard from friends years ago. If you go with very low expectations you should have a good day, especially at BE.

jaytrem

Let's see...the list of ski areas on or close to that loop....

Bogus
Tamarack
Little Ski Hill (good for night skiing)
Brundage (airbnbs are (or at least were) super cheap in McCall in the winter)
Snowhaven
Cottonwood Butte
Snowbowl
Lost Trail (Indy)
Maverick
Discovery (the best of the bunch)
Bridger
Big Sky
Targhee
Kelly Canyon
Pebble Creek
Beaver
Pomerelle
Magic
Soldier

Could also add Sun Valley and Rotorun with out too much of a detour.

KustyTheKlown

ooo backside of discovery looks cool.

the itinerary i plotted is 11 days of free skiing on passes (13 with lost trail, which looks pretty nifty too).

would love to make this happen. dang covid.

snoseek

I had a wicked good time skiing low angle pow at Beaver a couple years back. There's was some super fun stuff off to the side of the summit.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Harvey is going to be pissed. A worldwide exclusive denied!

OTOH, Snow Ridge is a nice addition. Not a lot of vert, but a sh*tpile of snow and some nice steep trees.

Haha I was pretty cranky for a NY minute. Was picking up my daughter from the lastest covid outbreak in school when I saw the post by @p_levert and couldn't really respond in a timely way. Whatev, it's not like I got covid, to my knowledge. :geek:

For central NY Indy's got some critical mass now.

Curious if this puts any AZers over the line on the Indy. Price goes up Dec 1.

jaytrem

I had a wicked good time skiing low angle pow at Beaver a couple years back. There's was some super fun stuff off to the side of the summit.

The deepest lightest snow I've ever skied was at Beaver. Had to keep my mouth closed or would choke on the powder. Crazy fun!

jaytrem

Hmmm, the fact that's it's 2 in the Northern Rockies is interesting. I believe Marmot and Sunshine still have the same owner (at least partial). Sunshine is already Ikon, but they still do Sunshine/Marmot card with Revelstoke now added and a few small places.

My luck it will be Bridger, which will make it even harder to cancel my MT/SD/WY trip.