• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Per Channel 5: Wachusett Opening Friday

Newpylong

Hopefully the coverage is better up top and extremely limited tickets. I would never attempt to open on what I see on the webcams.

Last edited:

Jully

Hopefully the coverage is better up top and extremely limited tickets. I would never attempt to open on what I see on the webcams.
Definitely thin around the base! Normally I love a sketchy early open, but the fact that this is November 20th is just depressing.

cdskier

I was looking at the webcams this afternoon after I saw the posts here that they were opening...still no idea how they're managing it. Looks like it would be insanely thin cover at least towards the bottom.

Zand

Base cams looked similar to opening day in 2017. Narrow cat tracks at the bottom but the trails were in good shape.

tumbler

I heard Mass adding two more states today. Doubt it will be Hawaii, so will leave one NE state to not have to Q to enter Mass.

kingslug

Guess I'll have to put them on this list for day trips..never been there but if its like Plattekill then its worth the trip.

speden

Quite a power move by Wachusett to be one of the first to open. Glad to see they didn't hold back and opened as soon as possible.

drjeff

Quite a power move by Wachusett to be THE first to open. Glad to see they didn't hold back and opened as soon as possible.
Fixed it for you ;)

Just saw on their social media feeds that as of a few minutes ago, their 1st chair of the season went up.

Zand

Guess I'll have to put them on this list for day trips..never been there but if its like Plattekill then its worth the trip.
Plattekill? Hahahahaha

Think Hunter but half the size.

On my first lift ride of the year!

drjeff

Killington loaded 10 minutes till 9, before Wachusett. Not that it really matters.
Going to be splitting hairs on this one with the marketing departments I'm sure.

About 8:45 I saw the post on Wachusett's feeds with the requisite "first chair" banner, and that post had already been up for 5 minutes.

This may turn out into the marketing department battle about who had customers sliding downhill on the snow first, rather than just sitting on the chair heading up, and with the length of the HSQ's a Wachusett, they might win based on that nuance! ;)

Now can we all just talk about say longest steepest widest vs longest, steepest, widest and the accuracy of say the Jay ruler ;););)

For today at least, we have a ski season in the Northeast! Given everything going on in the world right now, that is a great thing!

Glenn

I looked at that pic: "Wasn't it in the 50's Friday? Why are they wearing gators/masks?" Oh, it's 2020....