• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

icecoast1

Even with emergency powers, closing interstate travel would have to pass a pretty damn high bar for constitutional muster.
Yup, that would almost certainly end up getting blocked by the supreme court, if it even made it that far

sull1102

I think this will be the MO in VT to potentially shut down the areas. When they show up and the parking lot is filled with out of state plates, that will probably be enough for them to shut it down. I don't think Scott cares whether the ski areas operate or not.

Can a state totally ban people from coming in from another state(s)?
That's concerning, but true it seems. A state cannot totally ban people from coming in from other states per laws going back to the beginning of the good 'ol US of A. ON the note about Baker, I do find it interesting that for now we aren't seeing massive business losses and bankruptcies. Many of these resorts were FAR from financially stable in February of 2020 so I can only imagine how jacked up the books are now that they lost all summer business and likely to lose their shirts this year as well. I think the industry will look quite different next season, or at least we'll have plenty of NELSAP rumors to talk about next summer.

Slidebrook87

When they show up and the parking lot is filled with out of state plates, that will probably be enough for them to shut it down.
I think this will be the MO in VT to potentially shut down the areas. When they show up and the parking lot is filled with out of state plates, that will probably be enough for them to shut it down. I don't think Scott cares whether the ski areas operate or not.

Can a state totally ban people from coming in from another state(s)?
How can a health inspector see something as broad as an out of state plate and use it as a reason to shut a ski area down? After all it isn’t the ski area’s fault for having out of state visitors, and frankly they need them to stay alive this winter. On every VT ski areas website they mention the travel guidelines. At Killington more than half of the plates were out of state and I assume it is similar throughout Vermont. Now mask compliance is another story. If people are not wearing masks and the policy is not being enforced, then if it is a repeat violation then maybe that could make sense.

JimG.

Staff member
To your aside I agree. Neon on tap, Cooked for wife, son and all the dogs. Will probably make this a new tradition.
Same here, my favorite holiday of all spent at home with wife and 3 sons. It's been our tradition for the last 10 years, I just got tired of traveling instead of enjoying.

drjeff

How can a health inspector see something as broad as an out of state plate and use it as a reason to shut a ski area down? After all it isn’t the ski area’s fault for having out of state visitors, and frankly they need them to stay alive this winter. On every VT ski areas website they mention the travel guidelines. At Killington more than half of the plates were out of state and I assume it is similar throughout Vermont. Now mask compliance is another story. If people are not wearing masks and the policy is not being enforced, then if it is a repeat violation then maybe that could make sense.
If people aren't wearing masks, and the resort is taking numerous steps to see that people are following the guidelines, then that could be an entirely different issue, and one where within reason, the public health department may let it slide rather than take a harsh knee jerk response

njdiver85

Very good operation at Mount Snow yesterday. Anyone not wearing a mask or wearing one improperly was flagged very quickly.

Regarding the VT travel ban, I will note that the real problem that I see are the bars and restaurants in VT - their parking lots have been filled at night - with locals!

machski

Yes, I thought SR did a good job with spacing lift lines and mask monitoring. Part of that may be due to crowds being light from the liquid precip towards the bases, snow up top. Snow level did seem to be dropping when we decided to quit around noon. Too damp and googles were fogging up thanks to the damness and masks on lift.

tnt1234

SO everyone who has been skiing, what is your mask method? Cloth mask under the chin while skiing, up while riding the lift? Balaclava all day?

Slidebrook87

SO everyone who has been skiing, what is your mask method? Cloth mask under the chin while skiing, up while riding the lift? Balaclava all day?
Pretty much all day for me. Above nose in lines and on lifts, below nose while skiing.

skef

I bought a few balaclava-style masks from airbandmask.com; it's not clear if they're still selling them. Wear one all day. It does get damp... Better than a balaclava because: (1) ear loops and (2) rigid nose clip.

Yesterday at WaWa at one point I was in line stuck between two unmasked parties. Not cool.

abc

Yesterday at WaWa at one point I was in line stuck between two unmasked parties. Not cool.
But aren't you a good 6' away from each?

Alternatively, you could let the unmasked party behind you go ahead of you, and leave extra distance behind them?

KustyTheKlown

my girlfriend just made the smart decision that we are not going to drive to Nashville to see her mom for Christmas after i am in Vermont for 10 days

i knew she would arrive at this decision, so i didn't really sweat it or try to influence it. avoided a minefield by letting this run its natural course.

my vermont trip is pretty low risk. i am going alone and cooking for myself. but i'd feel really bad about getting her mom sick. and then the Nashville trip itself was the kind of trip you arent supposed to take. halfway across the country to visit multiple households of old relatives.

this lets me ski again after xmas which is also cool. and i don't have to drive to and from nashville.

Reactions: Edd

tnt1234

my girlfriend just made the smart decision that we are not going to drive to Nashville to see her mom for Christmas after i am in Vermont for 10 days

i knew she would arrive at this decision, so i didn't really sweat it or try to influence it. avoided a minefield by letting this run its natural course.

my vermont trip is pretty low risk. i am going alone and cooking for myself. but i'd feel really bad about getting her mom sick. and then the Nashville trip itself was the kind of trip you arent supposed to take. halfway across the country to visit multiple households of old relatives.

this lets me ski again after xmas which is also cool. and i don't have to drive to and from nashville.
Seems like the right decision.

We of course bailed on Thanksgiving. We usually host, and didn't. Also scraped X-mas and Chanukah.

It sucks, but hey, don't want to get anyone sick, or get sick really, so....and we do want to ski....so feels right to limit some risks if we are gonna take some others....

Reactions: Edd

1dog

Its now 10-11 days after T day. Based on 72. hours after exposure you can test positive ( Drs. say wait 72 hours after potential exposure to be most accurate test results) VT had 79 deaths - 15% of NH deaths - Mad River Valley has had no testing positive.

I believe this is as of this morning 10:30.

Puck it

How is that double mask mandate in MA working. First one 5/6. Second one 11/5. HMMM. Seems to be surging despite the mandate. I feel a lock down coming.

1607362548027.png

1607362699549.png

njdiver85

Seems to be surging despite the mandate.
Not going to argue regarding mask usage. However, it is completely misleading to use these graphs to try and make your point. You are showing positive tests, yet level of testing was virtually non-existent early on. The actual number of cases in April/May are quite possibly 8-10 times the amount in the graph based on various estimates. Yes . . . hospitalizations are up now, so there is a bit of a surge, but it is not as dramatic as these "graphs" portray. And the current hospitalizations are generally less severe than in April/May. All this would point to mask usage being a benefit, since it is likely tamping down the current situation relative to how things REALLY were early on.