• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12/22 - Wachusett - Crowded Midweek Day

mlkrgr

Resort or Ski Area
Wachusett
Date
Dec 22, 2020
Snow Conditions
  1. Packed Powder
I decided to hop in my car and go over to Wachusett thinking the crowds would be light given it's still a non holiday weekday. Well, I was wrong as the main lot was nearly at capacity, and ended up finding a spot in row 12 at 11:15 am. I was out between 11:30 am and 5 pm today. Lift lines at the Polar Express were 10-15 minutes long (almost as long as when I went Sunday night) given they were only letting up one party at a time, or two singles, except for about 30 minutes worth of reprieve when day ticket sessions were turning over. Given the lines during these times are nearly ski on and the sharp drop in wait times right when single day tickets cut off at 12:30 pm & 4 pm, they have to be doing very brisk business at $62 a 3.5 hour session (or $59 for the 3 hour night session).
The owners were out full force asking everyone to keep their masks up... and even told my friend to put his mask up in between sips of his beer, but I understand them as word was they had people from the state there making sure they were following the protocol. Similarly, they had another employee patrolling the lift line for awhile and another employee patrolling the area past the RFID gate.
Ended up stopping at Bullock lodge to have a cup of hot cider and an apple cider donut. The inside is closed this year, but they have a "ski thru" style of service is quite a great idea... meaning you order at one window and you pick up at another... and it is possible without clipping out of your skis or snowboard should you so desire (granted they should flip the entrance/exit on the pick up window side to facilitate that flow lol!
Conifer was very well buffed out today and really had no ice at all! I was enjoying lapping it a lot. 10th Mountain was really great too in the center but was very scratched off on the groomed part on skiers left while the moguls were getting firmer & now have patches of ice on them. Not quite the typical Wachusett style moguls, but they are getting there and I have seen better ones on previous visits this year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yep; you heard that right! I haven't seen them work as hard as they have in years past.
I know that they are pretty hands on with the place, but that surprised me.

And remind me, are all the trails lit up for night skiing?

mlkrgr

I know that they are pretty hands on with the place, but that surprised me.

And remind me, are all the trails lit up for night skiing?
Only the trails that are open & with lights on them. So 10th, Conifer, Challenger, Look Mom, Hitchcock, and Ralphs are what opens at night. Smith Walton is still not open yet but is typically lit for night skiing