• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

machski

It was a brisk cold windy day today, and the crowds were sparse. I think the weather and being a Thursday all contributed to it. As I skied around, I could see snow guns on American Express, which we skied under, White Heat, Airglow and Black Hole. I just gotta say I am impressed with the snowmaking efforts of the River. Even in a bad snow season, they give you a good ski season. When other local ski areas are just getting open, they have been open for a month and a half already and have, in some cases, more terrain open than the smaller areas have terrain.

The skiing was pretty good today, lots of soft snow around, but there were a few areas that were not so soft (Jibe). After the rains a couple weeks ago, they are pretty well recovered and rounding into mid season form.

Be aware that the North Peak and Locke triple lifts are relegated to weekends only. They are having staffing issues, no immigrant workers this year, for obvious reasons. I have no way of knowing if or how the financial situation is impacted, I am just glad they are able to make a go of it and stay open.
Jibe likely was firm as it was just pushed out, should get better. Yup, saw they posted on FB for lift operators. Wonder if we will see Oz ever spin this season? Little White Cap spins this weekend supposedly. Crowds could be a bit bigger midweek on Tues/Wed all season, SR is offering tickets those non holiday days for as low as $59 if bought well in advance and not rising above $69 until 3 days out. That is a good value, especially this season.

machski

Jibe did ski better today. The crowds were a bit bigger, Friday is the new Saturday with folks starting their weekend early. I saw little White Cap was groomed out, Assumption anyways, I can't imagine they didn't do the whole of it, but no lift operators to run the Little White Cap chair. The skiing just keeps getting better.
Little White Cap opened Saturday first thing. Moonstruck/Green Cheese/Starlight all open. Assumption will wait til WH is ready. Lots of snow on that, could have been skiable Sunday but patrol was concerned the snowpack was a bit wet at points and that it could slide. Airglow skied great on Saturday, Sunday was ok but some of the wetter whales firmed up overnight. Suppose to get pushed out Sunday night, Upper never opened so hopefully that grooms out nice. Paradigm and Black Hole are finished as well, they will likely cure another day before they get pushed out. Grand Rapids was getting more snow Sunday, a bit wet so doubt they will groom that tonight. Might be a good first or second run tomorrow! Making snow like crazy still, plenty new runs coming later this week.

Newpylong

Some info for the River folks:

Snowmaking has been on White Heat, Wildfire, Rocking Chair, 3D, Upper Downdraft, Lost Process, Cowardly Lion.

White Heat should be shutdown today and Salvation should come on.

Vortex should also come online today. Top Gun is being setup.

They are going thinner than usual trying not to skip any trails.

machski

Some info for the River folks:

Snowmaking has been on White Heat, Wildfire, Rocking Chair, 3D, Upper Downdraft, Lost Process, Cowardly Lion.

White Heat should be shutdown today and Salvation should come on.

Vortex should also come online today. Top Gun is being setup.

They are going thinner than usual trying not to skip any trails.
Not sure on the thinner than usual part. The whale sizes on White Heat and 3D are larger than many of us can ever remember.

Newpylong

Not sure on the thinner than usual part. The whale sizes on White Heat and 3D are larger than many of us can ever remember.
Of course it is a general statement and snow depth varies by location year by year based on needs and snowmaking windows. Some will have more, some will have less.

But you can be sure of it considering that is from the person (close friend of mine) who decides what to put where and when and for how long there.

Last edited:

Newpylong

My aforementioned contact said they've already run 1,100 hours so far. That is a lot... we typically only ran 500 for the entire year (at a small area). I told him I think they've likely pumped more gallons than anyone else in the East. Really only a dozen or so trails left from what I saw. He said they're working in Wildfire, Southpaw, Cowardly Lion and Lost Princess now. Top Gun next, not sure after that.

machski

My aforementioned contact said they've already run 1,100 hours so far. That is a lot... we typically only ran 500 for the entire year (at a small area). I told him I think they've likely pumped more gallons than anyone else in the East. Really only a dozen or so trails left from what I saw. He said they're working in Wildfire, Southpaw, Cowardly Lion and Lost Princess now. Top Gun next, not sure after that.
They will need to keep it going, Saturday is not looking positive at this point.

machski

I found Lost Princess. After skiing down it, the best skier in our group said it needs to soften up just a bit, a little more sun on it. I told him it'd be a little warmer in 10 minutes!
Yeah, I got to it around noon and it definitely firmed/locked up a bit overnight. Was affraid it might do that. Not sure how long you stayed out, but Vortex opened below Lights Out later in the day and skied nice, don't think they got it quite finished, but fun. Southpaw opened too and skied great. Salvation did too but didn't make it back over there. They are definitely pushing hard, love it. Noticed guns and hose pulled and set on Eureka, so looks like Oz will be completely blown in this season. Figure Shockwave is up too after the storm, which is perfect timing. Temps suppose to be more average next week.

Newpylong

I was told next up or to come back online next week is: Top gun, vortex, eureka, shockwave, south paw. And that's likely it. I know that leaves Agony and Quantum doesn't it? What else...

downdraft

Yes, not sure why no Agony? Normally that would be ahead of Top Gun. But, no sign of any set-up there. Awesome that they are blowing Oz trails.

machski

Yes, not sure why no Agony? Normally that would be ahead of Top Gun. But, no sign of any set-up there. Awesome that they are blowing Oz trails.
They always ice up Barker Quad when they blow Agony, so that is why Top Gun has been ahead of Agony. They may hit Agony a bit now that we have some decent natural cover down first, more to "stretch" the natural. We'll see, it skis good on natural assuming the upper rock ledge gets covered.

Quantum melts fast because of its exposure, still a bit surprised they didn't/won't hit that this year. Fun trail and the only one that Quantum actually serves to lap. You woud think they would want that option this year rather than Quantum just a reliever/back up lift.

The only other missing trails would be Backside, Polaris, Upper and Lower Chondi Line, Spectator and Exit Left. Nothing substantial.

Newpylong

I asked about snowmaking on Quantum and they said it sucks because of it's exposure it gets wind scoured. Unknown if they'll do it. I remember they didn't do it a bunch of years in a row.

machski

I asked about snowmaking on Quantum and they said it sucks because of it's exposure it gets wind scoured. Unknown if they'll do it. I remember they didn't do it a bunch of years in a row.
True, but the last two years they have made it. Of course, both of those years were better natural snow years to this point in the season to give them a better hand.

They've done great this season given the late start and crappy December. Can't fault them if they leave off Quantum and Agony.

machski

Pipe is toast on Backside/Polaris so that won't run this year. Trail is kinda redundant anyway isn't it?
Yes, backside does allow access to Quantum from Chondi or via Downdraft over. Polaris is whatever it is. Had they continued to use upper Dream as a park like they did for a time, the route to Quantum then Polaris off North summit might have been a nice alternative. Now that they don't do that anymore, I don't think folks miss Polaris if they even know it exists.

Oh yeah, Ski Back too. Not that they mad emuch last year, just used the one hydrant at the current dead end probably to check the line/valves. Don't think any of the new 3 homes along it are finished yet to care. Looks like where the line dead ends will continue up one of the new Merrill Hill runs when cut from the plans. The flat part of what they cut up to Aurora road doesn't look to be used for actual trails, not sure why they cut it.

They got an inch and a half last night, and wow!!! Buttery smooth skiing until it skied off today. We did a couple runs on Lost Princess and Vortex, that helped with some of the hard packed moguls.

Otherwise it was a great day there. My buddy asked what we did to deserve this? I replied, everything, and we didn't get caught!

Really a great day skiing.
Heading up to SR on Friday and staying at Jordan Hotel for a couple of nights. Looks like cold(er) weather progressing through the weekend, but winds consistently increasing each day.

Where would you recommend skiing so that wind holds are minimized on Sat/Sun?