• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter's Mt Status and Snow reports

catskillman

seriously ? There was not a person there that could not know what was going on. You could smell it at the 6 pack. and the music drew attention to it.

Not a Vail target crowd so maybe the rumors that they want to sell are true. But Hunter can't possibly #1 on that list of mtns they want to divest. Intel says Wildcat is #1.

PAabe

What why would Vail ever want to divest Hunter? It is day trip-able from NJ and NYC and the most major resort by pretty much any measure south of Mt Snow. Isn't the whole point of epic to gobble up feeder hills near big markets and sell the pass for the destination mountains - and Hunter pretty much falls into both of those categories. Ikon and ORDA both have a Catskills mountain and Indy has Catamount and Jack Frost certainly does not have the capacity for all the epic pass holders in the tri state area

da-bum

Went on Fri the 2nd. I guess I didn't get the memo that it was a holiday since the mountain was packed (for April) with family and their little kids. Not use to skiing where there are a bunch of people grouped together on the slopes this year, given that I have been skiing the North much of this year due to the long lift lines at the Flyer.

There was so many parts of the trail where it gets pretty narrow due to extremely large bare spots that they don't bother covering up, and somehow it seems to be a gather place for people. But snow condition was good, everything froze up.

And it seems Hunter closed one day early. I guess nobody was going to show up on a rainy day.

catskillman

Went on Fri the 2nd. I guess I didn't get the memo that it was a holiday since the mountain was packed (for April) with family and their little kids. Not use to skiing where there are a bunch of people grouped together on the slopes this year, given that I have been skiing the North much of this year due to the long lift lines at the Flyer.

There was so many parts of the trail where it gets pretty narrow due to extremely large bare spots that they don't bother covering up, and somehow it seems to be a gather place for people. But snow condition was good, everything froze up.

And it seems Hunter closed one day early. I guess nobody was going to show up on a rainy day.
As of 6:09 pm we have not got a drop of rain in Hunter today. !!! All outdoor dining was full all afternoon in town......

dblskifanatic

What why would Vail ever want to divest Hunter? It is day trip-able from NJ and NYC and the most major resort by pretty much any measure south of Mt Snow. Isn't the whole point of epic to gobble up feeder hills near big markets and sell the pass for the destination mountains - and Hunter pretty much falls into both of those categories. Ikon and ORDA both have a Catskills mountain and Indy has Catamount and Jack Frost certainly does not have the capacity for all the epic pass holders in the tri state area

I agree Hunter does not look like a place they would want to divest. To your point they want to create western travel The number of skier visits at Hunter far out weigh skier visits at Wildcat.