• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Uphill Resort Skinning… a warning

deadheadskier

Staff member
So the "trail" is more like a path through the woods, only that it's within the resort property. But the resort really doesn't do anything for its upkeep (maybe just clear it of down trees)?

I'm not sure. I remember seeing the photos of it being cleared. Not sure if it was done with Saddleback labor or volunteers. Also not sure who or how it is maintained.

drjeff

Unfortunately it seems that the issue at times is just simply people either not taking the time to find out a resorts uphill policy/uphill route, and then if they do that, then following the downhill policy (if applicable during certain times of the day).

Just speaking from what I see at Mount Snow on a weekly basis, you are more likely to see folks going uphill (skinning, snowshoeing, plain old hiking) on trails that aren't the dedicated uphill route than you are most weekend days.

Ultimately that is going to cause some issues from purely a liability standpoint that will supercede either the ignorance or sometimes possibly sense of entitlement that those not following the guidelines are creating for those who are following the guidelines

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Would like to see skinning banned or very limited on downhill resort trails. Folks going against traffice are a huge liability and in many cases its Theft of Service.
It was a free for all here for a while and it became very problematic. Any uphill program at a ski area should be managed to keep it from affecting regular operations.

Flagstaff is a major spot for trail runners and they love uphill skiing in the winter. Before there were designated routes we could have a hundred plus of em doing multiple laps on our area. Some pass holders became pretty upset after some powder days where the mountain was heavily tracked up before first chair unloaded. It’s a valid argument imho, you buy a season pass expecting certain experiences. Eventually it became managed so they have designated routes to go uphill and one or two groomed ski runs to descend.

jimmywilson69

So I'll weigh in on this as my local hill allows uphill outside of operating hours. Its a fun way to get a little exercise in before work. Its actually about the climb as opposed to the ski. I can skin to the top in 17-20 minutes and then its 1 minute on the way down. I'd like to do multiple climbs, but haven't had the time for that yet. I know I'm not getting a "backcountry" experience and I'm not expecting one either. I agree that if a ski area is going to allow it DURING operating hours. Then there needs to be a bunch of rules in place and it would likely make sense to have the uphill route in the woods so there isn't a collision.

A Basin charges for an uphill pass. Killington requires one, but its free and probably more of a way to get you to sign the waiver.

raisingarizona

So I'll weigh in on this as my local hill allows uphill outside of operating hours. Its a fun way to get a little exercise in before work. Its actually about the climb as opposed to the ski. I can skin to the top in 17-20 minutes and then its 1 minute on the way down. I'd like to do multiple climbs, but haven't had the time for that yet. I know I'm not getting a "backcountry" experience and I'm not expecting one either. I agree that if a ski area is going to allow it DURING operating hours. Then there needs to be a bunch of rules in place and it would likely make sense to have the uphill route in the woods so there isn't a collision.

A Basin charges for an uphill pass. Killington requires one, but its free and probably more of a way to get you to sign the waiver.
Our uphill hours aren’t during operating hours but there are specific guidelines and rules so they aren’t affecting snowmaking and grooming ops.

kbroderick

FWIW, I don't find uphill traffic particularly more or less challenging to avoid on the way down versus other traffic. It does create a bit of surprise effect in places, but very rarely is someone actually going uphill fast enough to materially affect closing speed vs. a stationary skier.

Do uphill skiers sometimes choose crappy positioning relative to crests and corners? Yes, but so do plenty of lift-riding skiers and riders.

I do think dedicated uphill routes are generally a good idea, as is defining a preferred side of the trail if the route goes up a major trail, but the idea that uphill traffic creates hazards that are substantially greater in magnitude or different in quality versus stopped skiers and riders doesn't hold in my estimation. YMMV, of course.

Speaking up uphill skinning (non-resort, in this case) -- has anyone been to the Brandon Gap since COVID hit? I haven't been there since Feb 2020 and I imagine it would be insanely crowded now, especially on a weekend.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Speaking up uphill skinning (non-resort, in this case) -- has anyone been to the Brandon Gap since COVID hit? I haven't been there since Feb 2020 and I imagine it would be insanely crowded now, especially on a weekend.
I wonder if that is the same case for Lincoln Gap.

cdskier

I wonder if that is the same case for Lincoln Gap.
I would imagine they are two very different animals. Brandon Gap has ample parking and established backcountry trails (http://www.ridgelineoutdoorcollective.org/brandon-gap/) . The area is supposedly well maintained and trails are marked, etc. Brandon Gap has really exploded in popularity even the past couple years prior to COVID (I don't know what it was like last year as I stayed in the MRV all winter and this year there really hasn't been enough snow up until now to put that area really into play but at least the winter prior to COVID there were numerous times that the lots along Rt 73 near the trailheads would be absolutely packed when I drove by on my way home from SB).

Lincoln Gap has much more limited access due to the road being closed. I can't really see that having anywhere near the amount of people that Brandon Gap does.

Edd

Such cheap BS to hike uphill on a groomed trail when you know damn well there’s a charge to pay. Screw those people.