• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rate Pico glades by difficulty

urungus

Heading to Pico tomorrow, looking for help ranking Pico’s official woods trails by difficulty. Todays trail report lists most of them as open. Figured I would start with Pike Glade - Middle since it is the only one rated a blue square. After that not sure. Saw some footage of Doozie and the entrance looked a bit tricky.

Doozie
Outlaw
Poma Woods
Sunset Woods
Birch Woods
KA Glade - Upper
Pike Glade - Upper
Pike Glade - Middle

edit: Summit Glades Birch Glades have tree islands but aren’t official woods trails.

Also, the KA trail named after Karl Acker, is it ”Kah” or “Kay Eh“

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'd have to look at a map to help you (can't remember all by name). But if you're worried about difficulty absolutely do no go skiers left of Upper Giant Killer. You'll be on the Poma Line which is the definitive place in the East I've been most freaked out. With the current snowpack I'm sure it's been skied but not realistic for mortals lol.

xlr8r

I would put Birch Woods and Poma Woods as the easiest, then Sunset Woods and Middle Pike Glades, then Doozie and Outlaw which both can be entered late or exited early. I have not done Upper KA or Upper Pike Glades they looked unnecessarily tight at the entrances. In general the woods at Pico are on the easier side of the scale, the way I like it. KA is Kay Ay, and honestly it is my favorite trail in New England, great classic narrow trail with twists and turns . Summit Glades and Birch Glades are trails with tree islands, but you can enter the woods in the tree islands in some places if you want. A slope and Triple slope are also full of tree islands. Summit Glades is a can't miss as it starts relatively steep but ends in a beautiful quiet Birch grove.

Last edited:

zyk

I'd have to look at a map to help you (can't remember all by name). But if you're worried about difficulty absolutely do no go skiers left of Upper Giant Killer. You'll be on the Poma Line which is the definitive place in the East I've been most freaked out. With the current snowpack I'm sure it's been skied but not realistic for mortals lol.
Used to ride that poma when I was a kid. Both fascinating and terrifying at the same time. Had a friend fall off once... He refused to ride it again.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Heading to Pico tomorrow, looking for help ranking Pico’s official woods trails by difficulty. Todays trail report lists most of them as open. Figured I would start with Pike Glade - Middle since it is the only one rated a blue square. After that not sure. Saw some footage of Doozie and the entrance looked a bit tricky.

Doozie
Outlaw
Poma Woods
Sunset Woods
Birch Woods
KA Glade - Upper
Pike Glade - Upper
Pike Glade - Middle

edit: Summit Glades Birch Glades have tree islands but aren’t official woods trails.

Also, the KA trail named after Karl Acker, is it ”Kah” or “Kay Eh“
IIRC K-A. Kay eh.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Used to ride that poma when I was a kid. Both fascinating and terrifying at the same time. Had a friend fall off once... He refused to ride it again.

Used to love lapping UGK off that Poma. It might be my most missed lift in New England

urungus

Thanks for the advice everyone, had a great day at Pico today, had forgotten how awesome it is. Pretty much everything ungroomed. Outpost area deserted. Here’s a few photos (forgot to take a shot in the woods)

49er:
5E7A7DDE-AF0F-44B0-BBAB-95CC7FB48E26.jpeg

Summit Glades:
E922854D-A45B-4371-A9D1-996177F25343.jpeg

Sidewinder:
9C87BD3C-DEB0-4E6B-8E8D-DD8E2BBE13CE.jpeg

cdskier

Thanks for the advice everyone, had a great day at Pico today, had forgotten how awesome it is.
I really need to make it a point to get back there this year...I was always a big fan of Pico back when I used to do trips to K.