• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another Death at Cannon

MidnightJester

To stay on topic, I had a theory the other day. Could these have been suicides? Like if I make ok and if I don't then that's what I want?

Pretty crazy thought but the level of unpreparedness is just unfathomable.
I thought that about them possibly. More for the girl and that is only because she supposedly was a experienced hiker. I think her desire to complete a 40 something different 4000ft summits before being 20-something yrs old is what over rode some type of weather thoughts.

jimmywilson69

I hope neither was suicide because of the danger search and rescue was put in. But at the same time someone who has done nearly all of the 4000 fters should know better

MidnightJester

Was wondering in winter if anyone knows if the Mountain top Huts even if closed leave a light on in a window or roofline?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Was wondering in winter if anyone knows if the Mountain top Huts even if closed leave a light on in a window or roofline?
Highly unlikely. The last time I was up at any of them they had gas lighting and/or solar panels. They do not have electricity.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

It seems everyone hiking looks at their phone apps for navigating lately. Could it be that the phone battery died in the cold?

thetrailboss

Staff member
To stay on topic, I had a theory the other day. Could these have been suicides? Like if I make ok and if I don't then that's what I want?

Pretty crazy thought but the level of unpreparedness is just unfathomable.
No. The November one was purely bad decisionmaking and YOLO mentality. Specifically, she "had" to hike those peaks by her 20th Birthday. That didn't work out so well. It would have made zero difference if she waited until after turning 20 to do them.

The most recent one, from what I have heard, was just purely inexperience and terribly underquipped.

In September I "joined" the 4,000 Footer FB group and have been thoroughly disgusted with a lot of what I have seen in terms of folks not at all being prepared for the elements and making some bad decisions, but living to blog/post about it. People really do not appreciate the risks and dangers that mother nature throughs at the Whites on a regular basis. I am just being brutally honest. I would have figured that these incidents and others would clue people in to making better decisions but the posts and internet are only encouraging people to do the opposite.

MidnightJester

Highly unlikely. The last time I was up at any of them they had gas lighting and/or solar panels. They do not have electricity.
It’s not Motel 6. They definitely do not leave any lights on.
Well that answers that lol. No finding a light on a mountainside hut to break into to self survive/rescue. Guess pre-tracking of map or apps for shelters is a benefit if you can then navigate your way there somehow.

Last edited:

Smellytele

I know the lakes of the clouds hut has an emergency shelter under it that you could get into but last time I was in it was 15 years ago on a winter presi traverse and it was just to get out of the 70 mile winds for a few minutes

ThatGuy

Funny story about idiots being unprepared in the Whites. ~30 years ago my dad tried to hike the up the Cog Rail in November. Turned into a blizzard and he tried to break into the weather station at the top only to be luckily let in by whomever was there.

Another time we were doing a night hike up Washington from the Ammunoosuc Ravine trail only to be socked in with fog so bad we couldn’t see 10’ ahead. Luckily we knew where the AMC hut was at Lake of the Clouds and were let in for the night. Also hit a moose driving home that night.

Climbing up Avalanche Peak in Yellowstone my girlfriend and I passed many a tourist with Crocs/Tennis shoes and no trekking poles contemplating their life choices.

Always carry extra layers, lights and food but you never know what will happen in the mountains so its good to take a fatalistic approach.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well that answers that lol. No finding a light on a mountainside hut to break into to self survive/rescue. Guess pre-tracking of map or apps for shelters is a benefit if you can then navigate your way there somehow.
They pretty much shutter them in October and put up signs advising that they are closed and cannot be used for shelter, even in emergencies.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Always carry extra layers, lights and food but you never know what will happen in the mountains so its good to take a fatalistic approach.
Absolutely. The "light hiking" movement has really caused problems. I see so many people with a single water bottle, small fanny pack, and running shoes.

djd66

Just to be clear, the drowning happened at Franconia Falls, which is in the Pemigewasset Wilderness, not at Cannon.
completely agree,... why the hell does he even post this shit?

BodeMiller1

It's the same area, as the crow flys what 20 - 30 miles. It's educational, people from other parts of New England don't realize how dangerous our innocent looking streams can be...

I've had a couple of close calls at Livermore Falls Plymouth, NH. Just lucky my number wasn't up. Also, lucky I can swim like a fish.

BodeMiller1

This is huge news covered by: The Boston Globe, Union Leader and others. You can complain about where I'm posting it, but it's new worthy to outdoor enthusiasts. I get that you two guys are too old to care about the wreak lessness of water. :giggle:

Proper ski board etiquette would be to challenge me to a ski - off.