• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lift holds for Cold

Juntaclause

I’ve got a trip to Stowe planned for Friday and Saturday of this weekend, been in the books for 5 months, can’t refund the condo, etc. So of course it’s going to be cripplingly cold during the window we are supposed to ski.

Does anyone know at what temps they’ll hold lifts? I know the concern is having to evacuate a lift and riders sitting exposed for hours.

Smellytele

I’ve got a trip to Stowe planned for Friday and Saturday of this weekend, been in the books for 5 months, can’t refund the condo, etc. So of course it’s going to be cripplingly cold during the window we are supposed to ski.

Does anyone know at what temps they’ll hold lifts? I know the concern is having to evacuate a lift and riders sitting exposed for hours.
Take the gondola and new bubble lift

jaytrem

Good question. I've skied in much colder than that, but I think places tend to shut down more often for cold these days. Good news is the crowds are often very light on days like that, so you can get lots of runs even with breaks.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good question. I've skied in much colder than that, but I think places tend to shut down more often for cold these days. Good news is the crowds are often very light on days like that, so you can get lots of runs even with breaks.

Yeah, I feel it's really only been the past 10 years or so that mountains closed because of the cold.

I remember skiing at Stowe once in the 90s at -20 or so. Think the wind chill up top was -60. They had gotten two feet of blower. Probably the driest I ever skied in New England. I lasted one run. So cold it burned. Had to run into the lodge and run my fingers under water. I was probably moments away from frostbite. I was a college student and didn't have the best gear. Still don't think I could tolerate that now with my warmest stuff.

I'd bet a lot places close all together this Saturday.

I'm certainly not going to bother this Saturday. It'll feel especially brutal with how warm this winter has been.

drjeff

Resorts do tend to take not just guest safety in the cold these days, but also staff safety as well into account as they are making their operational decisions

Kingslug20

It was last year or the one before..48 below windchill..broke the record according to local news..everything ran all day...just stop in the octagon every few runs..and take the gondi..
You'll be fine..
Lots of layers!

bigbob

I found my goggles would fog up at -20 air temp. Frequent lodge breaks after every 2 runs to defrost.

jaytrem

Coldest day I ever skied was at Mount Snow. I think it was -30 something. I wore a wetsuit under my ski clothes which worked pretty well. It was cold enough that the skis didn't slide too well. I can still picture my friend with his snowboard pointed straight down and not moving a bit. Once you had some momentum it was okay. Bumps were interesting since they would grab you skis and force you forward, like an invisible force.

Adding to Jeff's staff comment. On another bitter cold day I was one of the few people out. A friend was running the Challenger lift and didn't 'want to come out to bump the chair. He would just slow it down for me from inside the shack. I figure he was going to let it clobber me the first time he waved me out, but was pleasantly surprised when the chair slowed down.

Ahh good times!!!

drjeff

Looks like I will get to use some of my rarely used "arctic blue" wax for Saturday. Pretty sure I bought this block of it back in the 90's, and there's still over 1/2 of it left! 🤣🤣

Juntaclause

Resorts do tend to take not just guest safety in the cold these days, but also staff safety as well into account as they are making their operational decisions
This makes sense. Not sure how vail resorts will respond since they have people outside checking passes. Can’t imagine that’ll be a popular job Friday and Saturday.

Mum skier

I found my goggles would fog up at -20 air temp. Frequent lodge breaks after every 2 runs to defrost.
I also find goggles fogging is the limiting factor on extreme cold days. No matter how I tried placing mask, balaclava etc I was limited to 2 runs before a defog stop. And it’s quite unnerving not being able to see as you ski!

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Don't know but I certainly can't imagine skiing in weather below zero Faranheit unless I was in an Olympic event or trying to outdistance a rampaging Yeti. My motive to ski is fun recreation. Below zero, sitting by a fire with an Irish coffee sounds more fun.

Smellytele

The issue for me right now is not being used to below zero.
I skied with my wife and kids a few years back at Burke, -20 but no wind at all and blue bird skies. Was it cold? yes but it was tolerable with no wind and sunshine.

Tonyr

I was there the season right before Vail bought the resort. On MLK day it was around -30 with the windchill, the only lift they had open on the entire mountain was the Meadows quad over on Spruce. We skied 3 runs just to do it but it wasn't fun. After each run we would have to go inside to warm up before the next one. If it's windy it really gets you especially on the lift rides. Friday looks like it will be the coldest day and the one to skip. Sunday the temperatures will be back in the 20's. Are you able to ski on Sunday?

kendo

Lifts were running on one of the coldest days last year (1/11/22) with a -13 temp and -33 windchill at opening bell.

I waited until noon then skied Spruce.

Double full face masks helped a lot. Lifties were checking everyone for anything exposed.

Granite1

One of the most dangerous factors is getting stuck on a lift that breaks down. Especially If your up high exposed to the wind. It could take an hour or more to get you down. You could die from hyperthermia by then.