• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Older Senior wants to get back into skiing

Dickc

I don't really see, (no pun intended) how an adaptive skiing program for the blind would help much. He can see where he is going yes or no? You can ski with him right?

If he really wants to ski again then take him on a nice day and stick to easy greens and see how it goes.

Stick uphill of him so you can run interference as Cyclops, above, suggests.
Having coached adaptive in the past, he would usually go out with two coaches. One would lead at a slow pace, and a second would follow. Lead coach sets the pace and picks the trail,, trailing coach watches the skier and hollers if something goes wrong. Did this with an Alzheimers man one day, and my trail position was to constantly remind him to follow the red jacket so he would not get lost. We kept him right on track, and he had a great time. So did I.

SteezyRob

I don't really see, (no pun intended) how an adaptive skiing program for the blind would help much. He can see where he is going yes or no? You can ski with him right?

If he really wants to ski again then take him on a nice day and stick to easy greens and see how it goes.

Stick uphill of him so you can run interference as Cyclops, above, suggests.
there's a guy at sugarbush who shreds ripcord all day and is blind. shred used loosely, but still cool to see.

PAabe

There are many cross country ski clubs of older skiers who have graduated to cross country. Not quite the same but it is a lot easier and safer especially if you are not trying to go fast. Even if you're at a walking pace you still get to glide through the woods in the snow, chat with the other skiers and hang out in the lodge. XC skiers are usually pretty friendly. My dad stopped downhill skiing and he switched from racing xc skis to wider light backcountry width skis with metal edges and NNN-BC boots that are more stable.

There used to be a comic tacked up in the Gore lodge of the stages of life. Sledding>downhill skiing>cross country skiing>snowshoeing.

If he can still shred downhill more power to him

Can he still move around confidently? How would he fare if he fell or was run into? I would be picky about conditions and crowds and stick to greens at low speed. A fall at 90 can be a bad thing but doing interesting things is important too

Last edited:

crank

I don't think you folks understood me. I have seen plenty of blind skiers out skiing but this guy is not blind. He can see. So I am simply saying why would he need an adaptive ski program. He wouldn't is the answer.

abc

Second the cross country suggestion.

I had a friend who’s also in her 90’s. Used to downhill ski. But got seriously annoyed by the crowd wizzing by at close quarter (Got hit once, ended up in hospital). She transitioned to cross country skiing. Enjoyed it enormously. Continued skiing for some years before finally transition to walkers. (Basically, she skied while she could still walk).

Try downhill on a sunny day in a quiet resort, on easy trails. If he’s fine with it. By all means get back to it. But do try cross country skiing at least once. He may like it even more.

BodeMiller1

Take him to Cannon butt, what every one else says. Do it on a nice day. He can get a free lift ticket being over 65. He'll love Tuckerbrook and when he gets his legs back - have at it. He'll be impressed with the upgrades. At 90 times around the sun no harm in taking him up to the top for views and food.

Good Luck

edit: Cross Country is for over 100.

2Planker

Take him to Cannon butt, what every one else says. Do it on a nice day. He can get a free lift ticket being over 65. He'll love Tuckerbrook and when he gets his legs back - have at it. He'll be impressed with the upgrades. At 90 times around the sun no harm in taking him up to the top for views and food.

Good Luck

edit: Cross Country is for over 100.
Huh ?? I'm over 65. Does Cannon give out day tix to people over 65 ?? How many ??
Just asking

2Planker

You done good
Good guy for sure. It was great to see him move up the SR ranks in the 90's.
A true "On Snow" guy who knew how to get things done.
A big loss for SR, but great to see him get the much deserved credit.

A lot of 90's SR patrollers (Chip Seamans, Tim Bruce, Jim Bilotta, Pete Koch, Brian Jones...) all went on to GM other resorts

snoseek

Good guy for sure. It was great to see him move up the SR ranks in the 90's.
A true "On Snow" guy who knew how to get things done.
A big loss for SR, but great to see him get the much deserved credit.

A lot of 90's SR patrollers (Chip Seamans, Tim Bruce, Jim Bilotta, Pete Koch, Brian Jones...) all went on to GM other resorts
Yeah man 90s Sunday river set the standard for ski resort ops imo. I was a regular during that period and an employee for a couple years not long after. They still got it but other areas do as well now.

2Planker

Yeah man 90s Sunday river set the standard for ski resort ops imo. I was a regular during that period and an employee for a couple years not long after. They still got it but other areas do as well now.
I think we mighta been neighbors ??
Willard Rd., off Paradise ?