• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Destination Ski trips and the high associated costs for Flights, Hotels, Transport & Mountain ticket comparison & Suggestions.

Kingslug20

Next season..rent air bb for a month in utah..prolly in jan...then come back and all is well..

Reactions: abc

abc

Next season..rent air bb for a month in utah..prolly in jan...then come back and all is well..
That’s what I had been doing for quite some years, pre-pandemic. Not a month. But something like 2-3 weeks.

Come back to the east by late Jan, all is well.

Since the pandemic, I’ve switched to going out west mid-season. Had to endure some frustration dealing with the roller coaster early season in the east. But since I’m not trying to set any day records, I can handle NOT SKIING for a short few weeks. I optimize for better snow in the core season.

But totally! To maximize “number of days”, spending the early season out west works best.

xlr8r

I've got a trip booked to SLC to ski Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton on my Ikon Base at the end of February. Hotel is a Hyatt booked on points, Flights are not direct, but booked between a combination of points and United vouchers. My only big cash expense is the rental car at just under $500 for 5 days for a small AWD SUV. Credit card points help out so much with travel for me. The other key for me, considering this is a solo trip is to book free cancelation things like hotels and rental cars as soon as you have the idea in your head of possibly going on the trip. You can always adjust or cancel if your plans change or the price drops. For this trip the rental was originally going to be $700 when I booked it months ago, but I checked again in early December and found a much lower price, both with Alamo. If I booked now with Alamo, the rental wound be close to $1000.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

crank

Our 7-night 6-day trip to Jackson hole for 2 will cost us about that per person not including food and beverage.

We booked refundable lodging and our costs have come down as we check for rooms almost daily. We are staying at the same property but our room rate went down by $1,000 for the week! Cheaper accomodations became available (The Antler) but we decided to stick with a little more luxury. We are booked at Homewood Suites. Can still change if we want to.

KustyTheKlown

yes. this writer pretty much made deliberate choices to jack up her price. she lives in denver and has a car and had a hotel on the bus route but she chose to take the train. she rented all her shit from the mountain. she ate at stupid places. she booked lodging at the last minute. very stupid all around.

that's cool that your jackson hotel has gone down in price. I've been checking regularly but i seem to have secured the best possible prices at my lodgings. in august.

2planks2coasts

Go to Europe instead. Great miles and cash airfares to Europe right now. $50-60/day lift tix or IKON/Epic resorts. $4 on mountain beers, $10 artisan pizzas. Lodging is reasonable too.

2planks2coasts

It's much rarer, but Japan can sometimes be cheaper than flying out west. Shortly before Covid saw a $438rt from Philly to Sapporo. Cheaper than US/Canada west that same week. Booked a $50/day bus/lift/rental package at Kiroro for two days then flew back.

ThatGuy

Id love to ski Japan, looks sick. Especially the trees. Then I can hop into the hot springs with the monkeys.
DE6D3144-66B8-434B-A469-2D653851AB5A.jpeg

KustyTheKlown

i just shuffled all my reservations for my upcoming trip so that i move from one destination to the next in the afternoon/evenings instead of the early mornings, and i upgraded from a best western in ogden to a 1 bedroom condo with a proper kitchen 10 minutes from powmow for $100 more. considering upgrading to a similar condo situation at sun valley for anpther extra $100.

Edd

i just shuffled all my reservations for my upcoming trip so that i move from one destination to the next in the afternoon/evenings instead of the early mornings, and i upgraded from a best western in ogden to a 1 bedroom condo with a proper kitchen 10 minutes from powmow for $100 more. considering upgrading to a similar condo situation at sun valley for anpther extra $100.
Just got back from PowMow. It was incredible, no notes.

abc

Unfortunately the experience is actually like this:
Well, that’s unfortunate. I guess another victim of popularity?

I went back in the 90‘s. It was much more like the first picture. I was one of 2 humans there. I sat down on a rock by the pool. A monkey came up and attempt to groom me. A bit alarming. But quite a unique experience.

urungus

Well, that’s unfortunate. I guess another victim of popularity?

I went back in the 90‘s. It was much more like the first picture. I was one of 2 humans there. I sat down on a rock by the pool. A monkey came up and attempt to groom me. A bit alarming. But quite a unique experience.
Nice to hear you went before it got overrun, I missed my chance …