• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and snowboarding hills that are closing for the season

Scottyskis2

Ski season is coming to a close here at West Point, and we'd like to thank everyone at Victor Constant Ski Area for everything they did to make it possible this year! We look forward to seeing you all next season, hopefully with more natural snow 😄

skiur

Never knew there was a lift at west point, is it open to the public or only for military?

Scottyskis2

Snowbird Utah close early bs they always stay open to late spring and summer all the time.
""It’s your lucky day! 🍀
We are extending our season to Sunday, April 23rd!
Having kicked off the season with the earliest opening on record, we will hold 156 ski days on the calendar, making this the longest season in the resort's history in over 80 years of service!"

pinion

Even Deer Valley extended their season. I'm sure the Wasatch mountains hate doing it due to extra insurance payments, but with record breaking snow the SLC area skiers would revolt if they closed at their regular schedules.

Zermatt

Even Deer Valley extended their season. I'm sure the Wasatch mountains hate doing it due to extra insurance payments, but with record breaking snow the SLC area skiers would revolt if they closed at their regular schedules.
I didn’t think they had a choice as it was governed by forest service leases.

NYDB

Snowbird Utah close early bs they always stay open to late spring and summer all the time.
""It’s your lucky day! 🍀
Having kicked off the season with the earliest opening on record, we will hold 156 ski days on the calendar, making this the longest season in the resort's history in over 80 years of service!"
I think you have snowbasin / snowbird confusion.

Snowbird historically gets to at least May and this year will be open until at least until Memorial Day I would think.

they are currently selling tickets through 4/30

Last edited:

Scottyskis2

I think you have snowbasin / snowbird confusion.

Snowbird historically gets to at least May and this year will be open until at least until Memorial Day I would think.

they are currently selling tickets through 4/30
Got that from Snowbird Facebook page and I double checked because I know that true what you post to I read yesterday

jaytrem

Never knew there was a lift at west point, is it open to the public or only for military?
Open to the public only on certain days. Went a few years ago. Small and not steep. Kids were young at the time, so was still fun.

connersw

Got that from Snowbird Facebook page and I double checked because I know that true what you post to I read yesterday

Just scrolled through the last month of their posts, and I'm not seeing that posted. Their website calendar has Woodward and Plazapalooza scheduled till mid-May like usual.

The 156 day record in the last 80-years doesn't make sense either. When I lived there, I skied July 4th weekend ~2010ish. Tried to look up the exact year and found this video from 2019 where they mention 191 days being the 3rd longest:

thetrailboss

Staff member
""It’s your lucky day! 🍀
Yeah, that is SnowBASIN that said that. Snowbird, in years past, has gone as long as they can (except the last two seasons when they closed WAY too early). It remains yet to be seen what they do this year. Lack of snow is NOT an excuse this year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just scrolled through the last month of their posts, and I'm not seeing that posted. Their website calendar has Woodward and Plazapalooza scheduled till mid-May like usual.

The 156 day record in the last 80-years doesn't make sense either. When I lived there, I skied July 4th weekend ~2010ish. Tried to look up the exact year and found this video from 2019 where they mention 191 days being the 3rd longest:
I skied there on July 4, 2011. They also made July 4, 2019 but it was NOT as epic as 2011.

NYDB

Yeah, that is SnowBASIN that said that. Snowbird, in years past, has gone as long as they can (except the last two seasons when they closed WAY too early). It remains yet to be seen what they do this year. Lack of snow is NOT an excuse this year.
what terrain would they keep open usually last week of April/1st week of May?

do they typically shut a lift or area down? or will they still run every lift until their daily operations cease?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Facebook still a reliable source of misinformation.

"Hey now, that is not nice!"

107024232-1646284983025-gettyimages-1177863316-cnyztpe007037_20191024_pepfn0a001.jpeg

thetrailboss

Staff member
what terrain would they keep open usually last week of April/1st week of May?

do they typically shut a lift or area down? or will they still run every lift until their daily operations cease?
So Pre-2020 they would typically stop Baldy Express about Easter. Baby Thunder around that time as well. Peruvian, Gad 2, and GadZoom close next. They whittle it down to Tram, MBX, and Little Cloud. I say Pre-2020 because their Mountain Ops guys who specialized in late-season ops all left. So in 2021 they closed in Early May with the excuse that there was "not enough snow" (there was). Same in 2022. As much as I hope (and normally expect) a very long season, the last few years they have choked (or saved money).

RH29

Ski Sundown, Mohawk Mtn, and Thunder Ridge are all looking to go at least another week. Yawgoo closed last week. Blue Hills hasn't said anything about closing and was open today. Nashoba closed today, Ward/Bradford appear to be closed.