• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Indy Ski Pass

jaytrem

For the first time my Indy Pass was used as an RFID card. The honor goes to Little Switzerland in WI. That being said, I wasn't scanned a single time, so who knows it it would have actually worked.

snoseek

Powmow totally jumped the shark. It was such a nice little gem to escape the cottonwood crush when it snowed. It doesnt hold the kind of terrain I'm willing to pay big money for and the place has wind/sun exposure issues.

KustyTheKlown

not renewing. have used it twice this season, and the real draw of it was magic and jay but i can just go to those places and pay my $80 when i feel like it. and by not having indy i am more inclined to go back to MRG and smuggs, which i neglected since becoming an indy pass user. its been more of a hassle than not this year to try and make the thing make sense. enjoy it for those who are renewing. i no longer enjoy it or feel like it adds value for my skiing.

KustyTheKlown

Powmow totally jumped the shark. It was such a nice little gem to escape the cottonwood crush when it snowed. It doesnt hold the kind of terrain I'm willing to pay big money for and the place has wind/sun exposure issues.

powder mountain is actively not good. its massive but flat and lacking in vertical and pitch and has a horribly slow and old lift infrastructure

deadheadskier

Staff member
not renewing. have used it twice this season, and the real draw of it was magic and jay but i can just go to those places and pay my $80 when i feel like it. and by not having indy i am more inclined to go back to MRG and smuggs, which i neglected since becoming an indy pass user. its been more of a hassle than not this year to try and make the thing make sense. enjoy it for those who are renewing. i no longer enjoy it or feel like it adds value for my skiing.

If I were a NYC based skier, Indy would not be on my radar. As a NH based skier it's either it or Epic that makes the most sense for day tripping. Indy wins out for my preferences. We are able to use it 12-15 days a season, which is a steal at $379

KustyTheKlown

in the past few years it made sense by getting 2x magic jay cannon, and 1x bolton waterville, and i even used it at powmow last year and at 49N the year before. i meant to use it at sunshine colorado this year but my travel got messed up and i wasnt going to do sunshine over a day at aspen. i don't anticipate any western use next year. the snow has been so bad that looks like magic is gonna be a zero. no cannon or wv for me this year, at least not yet. i went to jay once (may go back). when i was in maine, sugarloaf was in better shape than saddleback. i went to bolton in the rain just to use the damn pass. its just been too much work in this crappy season to make the thing pay off.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I admire your motivation to even go to NH or ME from NJ. That said I'm glad there are very few Joeys like you with the same enthusiasm to come over here. Haha

jaytrem

I'm back in. Got 12 days so far and this is the last time can get my twins the kids pass. I'll reevaluate next year when the price goes up for them. Odds are it will still be worth it since they'll also age out of some other deals.

abc

went to bolton in the rain just to use the damn pass. its just been too much work in this crappy season to make the thing pay off.
Years ago, before the multi-mountain “passes”, I happened upon a “freebie” lift ticket book when I bought a Decente Jacket. I had fun using the tickets on the book to ski “for free” that season.

The following season, I thought it was a good idea to do the same. So I bought their pants! :ROFLMAO: Well, the weather was bad that year. But I wanted to “use up” the tickets so I ended up skiing in the rain, on slush and on refrozen slush! Well, I was lucky I finished the season with all my bones and ligaments intact. And all the driving to spread out mountains was no longer a novelty either. I probably paid a lot more in hotels than I would have in lift tickets closer to home (or just staying home when the condition were atrocious).

That thought me the lesson to not buy any pre-paid lift tickets that requires overnight stays. Even more so those pre-paid ticket packs masquerading as “pass”!

If I were a NYC based skier, Indy would not be on my radar.
The problem isn’t just the distance. The problem is it isn’t a real “pass”. It’s more a pre-paid n-number of lift tickets for x amount of dollar. If it were a real pass with unlimited use, one could use it for half a day, or 2 hours, or even one run just to check out the condition without “burning” the day count. While EPIC/IKON bought with it all sort of problems, their pass holders have that freedom that comes with a real pass.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Limited days aren't a "problem", it's an economic reality for being so cheap. Same thing as buying an iKon Base or Limited Epic product.

I'd personally pay more for more days on Indy, but that's apparently not what the resort partners want to do because it could impact their individual resort pass sales.

If I only wanted to ski 15-20 times a season, I'd still be fine with Indy. Because I ski more like 40; Indy is a supplement to other products for me. I have Gunstock for the short days (like today) as my unlimited option. Works well being only an hour from home.

Edd

Looks like $1399 for next years pass at Powmow IF you buy by March 4th (tomorrow). It appears they have a midweek pass but I’m not seeing a price on it, maybe not on sale yet.

abc

Limited days aren't a "problem", it's an economic reality for being so cheap. Same thing as buying an iKon Base or Limited Epic product.

I'd personally pay more for more days on Indy, but that's apparently not what the resort partners want to do because it could impact their individual resort pass sales.

If I only wanted to ski 15-20 times a season, I'd still be fine with Indy. Because I ski more like 40; Indy is a supplement to other products for me. I have Gunstock for the short days (like today) as my unlimited option. Works well being only an hour from home.
I think that’s the main difference. The resort partners don’t want the Indy to become anybody’s season pass!

Whilst the IKON/EPIC are primarily targeting to be THE season pass for majority of its buyers. Those who milk it for the number of days at different resort are probably the minority. Moreover, those aren’t the people who created the crowding condition in mountains with limited days.

(For me, Copper was my “home (away from home) mountain”. I did that when I first hooked on the RMSP. When that got replaced by IKON, I just continued on with IKON. I wasn’t exactly thrilled by the substantial jump in price. But the opportunity to ski outside of Colorado was compelling enough for me to go along. But for quite a few years, I was still camping at Copper for the majority of my skiing).

Zand

I have no idea what to do for a pass next year. Another season is kinda down the shitter for me for the 3rd year in a row this year. I haven't used my Indy Pass at all. Hoping to do Jay this weekend but once again a hard freeze is about to set in. Likely not gonna get my money's worth out of that. I've used Ikon 4 times this year, might barely break even by the end of the season on that. Between life events and work being kinda shit, I don't have the patience to drive 3 hours to ski groomers only or frozen solid natural snow. If it's gonna be warm I wish the sun would be more consistent, but I guess it's early for that yet.

One of these winters we will get back into business with average snowfall so I can actually use Indy on good days at places like Magic and Cannon and make it worth it. That said it's tough not to renew a pass that's only $289.

Hillwalker95

powder mountain is actively not good. its massive but flat and lacking in vertical and pitch and has a horribly slow and old lift infrastructure
Some steep terrain around Paradise. And Hidden Lake is a fast lift with interesting terrain. It's slowly going private so in a few years will be off bounds to public