• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Christmas Week Forecasts

petergriffen

read the new Jay,Vt NOAA weather forecast

Saturday: Cloudy, with a high near 29. South wind between 11 and 15 mph.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow and sleet before 9pm, then a chance of rain, snow and sleet between 9pm and 10pm, then a chance of snow, freezing rain and sleet between 10pm and midnight, then a chance of freezing rain between midnight and 2am, then a chance of rain between 2am and 3am, then a chance of freezing rain and sleet between 3am and 4am, then rain likely possibly mixed with sleet after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: Freezing rain likely before 8am, then rain showers likely between 8am and 3pm, then rain and snow showers likely after 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Sunday Night: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

JimG.

Staff member
All I know is this. Last year, it was warm but for weeks and weeks they promised that a cold, snowy shot was just around the corner. This year it is cold and fantastically snowy, but they keep warning us that we're due for a warm-up. I know which of these scenarios I prefer.

Besides, we've got so much snow now that a warm-up, if it comes, won't kill us, just slow things down for a few days.

Word Bro!

Think snow!

Greg

Staff member
Saturday Night: A chance of snow and sleet before 9pm, then a chance of rain, snow and sleet between 9pm and 10pm, then a chance of snow, freezing rain and sleet between 10pm and midnight, then a chance of freezing rain between midnight and 2am, then a chance of rain between 2am and 3am, then a chance of freezing rain and sleet between 3am and 4am, then rain likely possibly mixed with sleet after 4am. Cloudy, with a low around 24. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

WTF? :blink: NOAA has been doing these whacky hour-by-hour forecasts a lot this season. Kinda silly to try to pin it down that much. Basically means they don't have a clue what will happen when so they try and throw it all in there... :roll:

drjeff

WTF? :blink: NOAA has been doing these whacky hour-by-hour forecasts a lot this season. Kinda silly to try to pin it down that much. Basically means they don't have a clue what will happen when so they try and throw it all in there... :roll:

NOAA could have just said between 9PM and 4AM there's a 60% chance of the some slurpee like precipitation happening ;)

ajl50

After this storm it looks like a quiet few days then the next system will approach on thurs/friday. Again who knows about this track but models are again taking up into the lakes placing us in the warm sector.
I hope this doesn't come true but luckily in this active weather pattern very few forecasts hold true eight days out.

It looks like rain on Sunday all the way up to the Canadian border..than a quick cold front to freeze everything solid..enjoy the next few days and then sharpen those edges,,,typical eastern ski conditions are returning for the Holidays,,:puke:

Angus

this was posted at http://www.mattnoyes.net/new_england_weather/

Ahead of this system, southerly winds will strengthen Saturday night, bringing milder air across New England on Sunday. As clouds thicken with increasing moisture Sunday morning, rain will move in from west to east and a period of steady rain is expected with a mild southerly wind Sunday afternoon, with raindrops the likely precipitation type all the way into Northern New England. Nonetheless, most of our snowpack can handle the hit from the snow, and for most this will not jeopardize the chance for a White Christmas nor the ski conditions for the holiday week. A brief shot of cool air is expected to follow before another moderation the middle to end of next week.

Farther down the line, a stormy pattern looks as though it may try to return to New England starting at the end of next week - perhaps as a warmer and somewhat wet storm - then continuing into the following week with increasing wintry precipitation.

Matt

loafer89

I am trying to decide if I should make a run for Sunday River tonight for one day of skiing tomorrow before the rain hits. It's an awful lot of driving for one day out on the mountain.

Option b is a day trip to Ragged or Tenney, never been to either one.

hammer

Any updates on the timing of the NCP? I'd like to head out tomorrow to beat the wet weather but I'd rather not make the trip for just a few hours of skiing...

Greg

Staff member
Looks like another storm with a similar track to this one will strike New England next weekend.:cry:

This event sucks, big time. But next weekend is a million years away as far as I'm concerned.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Actually, I delamed some atomic Powder Pluses. The first step in reversing the camber. The rain is as expected. Collective bad karma for the ski areas hoeing out to flat landers while blacking out the true and faithful Ullr worshipers. Happens evey year...THEY come, and it rains. Don't worry, when they leave, it will snow again.

snoseek

That's why I said "if." If you don't use lifts you see VERY few flatlanders and have nothing to worry about.

I use lifts, just don't really care for all the problems that come with a high lift to acerage ratio.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
If you use lift service, don't slam the Flatlanders. Those millions weren't spent to serve a few locals midweek.

I actually think JD was being facetious and joking. I am sure every resort in the east is working OT to make the mountains as family friendly as possible. For all of us, our kids our out of school, for many of us, it may be our only vacation time. Everyone deserves the best they can get. Just over xmas dinner tonight the family was figuring out which day we should go - it's not a matter of waiting - there is a narrow opportunity for us to be together as a family.

For the Ullr worshipers who choose to be fussy, their midweek days will come. While I love powder, the years have taught me to seize every opportunity, big and small, families, vacations, holidays, powder days, frozen and on and on. Sometimes, just being out of doors is the best part. I'm sure you all recall the days of hiking in a downpour, we never complained, tried to make light of it and enjoy the out of doors nonetheless.

Flatlanders and hill folk alike will probably have a better than usual week, because many will stay away, making it easier on us, but harder ($) on the resorts.

Interesting, Stowe is speaking of packed powder, I guess they got several inches last night.

Get out and have fun. that's all that counts! :flag: