• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Michael Phelps and Barack Obama have something in common

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
FTFA said:
"So the guy smokes pot," Cohen said. "For once I'd like someone to say, 'Yeah, I smoke pot, it's harmless and I enjoy it.'" Instead, he said, Phelps is lying by pretending he'll never do it again.

I agree, he's the only one that made any sense in that whole thing. F'ing douches, pot is less harmful than alcohol.

ctenidae

"Fast forward to 2006, when Barack Obama said just as famously: "I inhaled frequently. That was the point.""

Politics or not, you have to like that honesty.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
"Fast forward to 2006, when Barack Obama said just as famously: "I inhaled frequently. That was the point.""

Politics or not, you have to like that honesty.

Do not.

300px-Argument_Clinic.png

ccskier

Who cares, give the kid a break. Pretty much everyone has before, yes I inhaled a few times, big deal. Personally I think that grass is much better than booze, booze causes you to do stupid things.

Warp Daddy

Who cares, give the kid a break. Pretty much everyone has before, yes I inhaled a few times, big deal. Personally I think that grass is much better than booze, booze causes you to do stupid things.

Mr Phelps is NOT a kid and has a responsibility as a role model -

-IMHO he's frankly Just another dumb ass jock who contributes little or no real consequence to the betterment of man and should not be given any latitude especially since he has had prior "issues " from which he should have learned something .

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Personally I'm guessing pot is about the best thing he could take for his damned ADHD.

/not a doctor
//don't play one on TV either

Grassi21

Mr Phelps is NOT a kid and has a responsibility as a role model -

-IMHO he's frankly Just another dumb ass jock who contributes little or no real consequence to the betterment of man and should not be given any latitude especially since he has had prior "issues " from which he should have learned something .

Pretty harsh assessment of a person you have never met...

mondeo

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," Phelps said in the statement released by one of his agents. "I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

Sounds honest to me. He made a mistake. He put himself in a situation where he could be photographed using pot. He'll probably be more careful with his toking in the future.

"A million guys can dunk a basketball in jail; should they be role models?"

Warp Daddy

Pretty harsh assessment of a person you have never met...

His Behavior speaks for itself.
it's time for MR Phelps to act like a RESPONSIBLE adult not an adolecent train wreck . He signed contracts with clauses citing expectations for both behavior and performance mega $$ -- sorry that's business. Moreover He FAILED to learn from his priors .

As the saying goes business is business and well you know the rest

time to move on and quit making excuses or enabling behavior

Jisch

I have two teenaged kids, and yes I was a teenager once as well. I know the pressures they are under and the temptations they see on a day to day (more like weekend to weekend) basis.

From an adult's perspective who has been there, done that, I see this as no big deal.

As a parent trying to raise my kids with the right moral concepts (not to mention keeping them out of trouble with the law and otherwise) this sucks. MP should know he's a role model and him smoking pot just gives kids everywhere another "its not that bad" and "everyone does it" excuse. While that attitude is fine here on the 'net or in social circles, its not so cool when you've got that blemish on your record for the rest of your life. I hate to see my kid's future limited in any way by a stupid decision they make now.

Funny how my perception has changed, I hadn't really thought about it until I heard this story on the radio yesterday. Hit me up in 5 years, I'll probably have a different position entirely.

John

(edit - I just googled and found the picture - to my eyes it doesn't look like that's the first time Mr Phelps has held such a device in his hands.

Last edited:

ctenidae

it's time for MR Phelps to act like a RESPONSIBLE adult not an adolecent train wreck . He signed contracts with clauses citing expectations for both behavior and performance mega $$ -- sorry that's business. Moreover He FAILED to learn from his priors .

And if his sponsors don't like it, they can pull their contracts. Done.

Phelps should not be held up as a role model, at all. Unless, of course, as Randy Cohen puts it, your kid is a fish. He's an amazing athlete (apparently in spite of pulling a few tubes every now and again), and has accomlpished something amazing in the Olympics. I think people aspiring to be him are setting their goals far too low- they should be aiming to beat him. That's at least worthwhile.

tjf67

If he looses his contract for doing something stupid then chalk it up as "lesson Learned". Rather expensive on but such is life. I could give a rats ass what the guy does. If smoking dope really offends people I say " get a life looser". My first thought was nothing other than WOW that a pretty cool looking bong. Very clean as well.

ctenidae

I wonder if he put a beatdown on the guy who took and distributed that picture. I'd be 6 kinds of pissed- that sort of thing just isn't cool.

Grassi21

disclaimer - warp i am not directing this at you... this is more of a comment on society and what i believe and seeen as a HS coach.

parents need to stop passing the role model buck to athletes and celebs. good parents can educate and talk to their kids about all that is good and bad in this world. in the end the kid needs to take what he learns at home and make his/her own decisions... and deal with the reprecussions. let mike phelps lead his life the way he chooses. who are we to judge anyone els?

dmc

Phelps is a great swimmer but he seems a bit dense...

I guess if you want your kid to aspire to be a dumb jock.. then... cool...

But there's better "role models" out there... If thats what you feel a kid needs...

Jisch

Just to be clear, I am not looking for my kids to aspire to be a dumb jock. That said kids look to dumb jocks, dumb rappers and other people as "ways to be...". I think rather than them looking at MP as someone they want to become, they hold him as an example of someone who has had incredible accomplishments in his life. The fact that he smokes pot as well, is an unfortunate message in my opinion. Perhaps I'm being naive, but I would rather not have to answer that question and MP behavior means I have to.

People are people and they make "mistakes", its important that the kids understand this as well. Kids can be incredibly smart and mature in making decisions, they can also be incredibly stupid and peer pressure is amazing. I'm learning so much from my kids...

John

ctenidae

People are people and they make "mistakes", its important that the kids understand this as well. Kids can be incredibly smart and mature in making decisions, they can also be incredibly stupid and peer pressure is amazing. I'm learning so much from my kids...

John

I think you've got your lesson and answer right there. Nice one.