• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cheap race ski recommendations

Greg

Staff member
Yeah, I know. :roll: Everybody calm down. :lol:

Might be interested in picking up something fun for groomer/hard pack days. Looking to do it on the cheap. It's my understanding that a true slalom ski is somewhere around a 13m turn radius and a GS ski is closer to 21m. I've also heard that "cheater" skis are popular and they have a turn radius of about 17m. I normally like to take somewhat faster turns, at least that's how I normally ski, but admittedly, this is usually a sloppy skidded snappy mogul kind of turn. Still, if I were to acquire a strictly groomer ski, I think I'd prefer a slightly shorter turn radius. The feel of continually rebounding out of a turn and into the next is more exciting to me than going ludicrous speed. I might be interested in hitting up some NASTAR from time to time too. Also, regarding ski length, I'm 6'1", 170 lbs., and am comfortable on ski lengths in the mid-170s. Given a particular turn radius, what's a good length?

So, anyway, given that, any recommendations? I know Volkls are known for being great on groomed. In fact, one thing I miss about my AC3s was that feel of a powerful rebound out of the turn. Most skis I've had since, while excelling in other areas, are a little dead in comparison. And I know - demo, demo, demo, but so far, most of the skis I've acquired have been based on other skier recommendations/reviews and I haven't really been let down yet so I'm willing to proceed sans demo.

I guess it's time to get my carve on... ;)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Has Hell frozen over???? :blink:

;) Good luck! I had fun on my groomer ski last season. Probably should have kept it but it helped fund my fat ski (...that Brian will be quick to tell you is less logical and thus far, unused).

Grassi21

I have a pair of K2 Cabrawlers you can take off my hands...

bvibert

Staff member
Bite me, Brian. The spandex is next. :puke:

I'm laughing with you buddy, but not if you get one of those spandex getups. ;)

I'm laughing because I've had a similar experience this season. I feel so dirty... :lol:

BeanoNYC

This is great. I'd come and route you on for a NASTAR race. Why don't you look to pick up an old pair of 5 or 6 stars?

Greg

Staff member
Why don't you look to pick up an old pair of 5 or 6 stars?

Was thinking that. Those seemed to be a go-to race ski a few years back.

Brian is just copying me. :razz:

Gonna have to tag along with WoodCore on some more trips and have him teach me how to ski. :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Brian is just copying me. :razz:
You are the trend-setter, after all... You get mogul skis; they all get mogul skis. You get Dalbello Kryptons; they all get Dalbello Kryptons. You get Wateas; they all get Wateas. I see a pattern here... ;)

Greg

Staff member
You are the trend-setter, after all... You get mogul skis; they all get mogul skis. You get Dalbello Kryptons; they all get Dalbello Kryptons. You get Wateas; they all get Wateas. I see a pattern here... ;)

No.....mondeo is the guy we all strive to be. Believe it. :razz:

gmcunni

Can't wait to see the trip reports for the AlpineZone team racing on Tuesday nights next season @ sundown.