• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cheap race ski recommendations

wa-loaf

Have not skied them, but hear Fischer Progessor 9+ are great.

I would buy them if I had the dough and had not purchased 3 pairs of other skis in the past 3 years. On my radar for 2011 though :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/08-09-Fischer-P...QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSkiing?hash=item518f943648

That's not a bad price, but I got mine from Suburban Sports for $499. Greg should check with them.

Sweet ski, I've only been on the once so far. Will race with them this Thursday, but the dual radius is pretty cool. Slalom cut (13M) in front really engages the ski and makes for a nice quick turn, the GS (18m) cut lets you get out of the turn easier. You do have to be a little more conscious of where you are weighting the ski.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That's not a bad price, but I got mine from Suburban Sports for $499. Greg should check with them.

Sweet ski, I've only been on the once so far. Will race with them this Thursday, but the dual radius is pretty cool. Slalom cut (13M) in front really engages the ski and makes for a nice quick turn, the GS (18m) cut lets you get out of the turn easier. You do have to be a little more conscious of where you are weighting the ski.

They only have 160s left:
http://www.suburbansport.com/fis820938.html

ETA: 170s on Epic, though:
http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/88373/2009-fischer-progressor-9-170cm-w-bindings-new

Last edited:

roark

Also consider Elan Ripsticks (used, no longer in production). I love mine for carving/NASTAR.

Used race skis can often be found cheap on other forums, but typically have a plate that requires specific bindings (eg. rossi w/ fks plate). Typically one would keep the bindings and just buy a new ski, so there is a shortage of used bindings available.

Racers often grind the bases and file edges religiously (the skis are shot due to 'maintenace' rather than actual use). Be sure enough material is left on a used pair.

wa-loaf

Also consider Elan Ripsticks (used, no longer in production). I love mine for carving/NASTAR.

Seconded, used mine for NASTAR for 3 years. Hard to find though. Mine are now just my all-mtn skis. Trying to keep the Progressors just for racing.

BeanoNYC

I didn't know you have the Wateas Greg...how do you like them? Tried my friends last year, the few runs I did on them convinced me to picks some up. I'll be posting about it in the "out for delivery" thread next week.

Greg

Staff member
I didn't know you have the Wateas Greg...how do you like them? Tried my friends last year, the few runs I did on them convinced me to picks some up. I'll be posting about it in the "out for delivery" thread next week.

I like them just fine. Haven't really used them for what they are intended yet though. I do know they suck in bumps, but I have mogul skis for that. Definitely a hard charging ski. Should be fun on powder and cruddy open terrain.

BeanoNYC

I like them just fine. Haven't really used them for what they are intended yet though. I do know they suck in bumps, but I have mogul skis for that. Definitely a hard charging ski. Should be fun on powder and cruddy open terrain.

What's the width?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
ERJxxxx has the 78's so we're covered. Someone needs to get the 101's. :lol:
Brian ALMOST got those. That's what started really making the wheels turn. I was looking at the Koopmans at Suburban Sport and the dude brought out the 101s to show how long of a ski he'd go with for powder... The light started shining in B's eyes then... but he wasn't sure that was the width he really wanted. Big, burly skis, that's for sure!

wa-loaf

I'm sure Greg appreciates that this has turned into another Watea thread. ;-)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Greg, I know nothing about race skis. Check level nine sports. :D

(Did that sufficiently bring it back on topic? ;))

BTW...Brian's probably mad at you now. Your post is making me miss my carver-ish skis. :p

bvibert

Staff member
ERJxxxx has the 78's so we're covered. Someone needs to get the 101's. :lol:

Brian ALMOST got those. That's what started really making the wheels turn. I was looking at the Koopmans at Suburban Sport and the dude brought out the 101s to show how long of a ski he'd go with for powder... The light started shining in B's eyes then... but he wasn't sure that was the width he really wanted. Big, burly skis, that's for sure!

It was the length that had me concerned. I think the width would have done just fine, but 192 cm seemed like a bit much for these parts...

MR. evil

One of my pre season goals this year was to work on learning how to actually carve turns.......way before Greg brought it up :)
Until gunny gets bumped up I plan on spending a good amount of time on Gunny working on just that. I even plan on hitting the NASTAR course several times this season.

WoodCore

Gonna have to tag along with WoodCore on some more trips and have him teach me how to ski. :lol:

Seriously, If you guys are interested in working on carving It would be my pleasure to stop over at Sundown a few nights this season to help point you in the right direction as long as you guys buy the beer! :snow:

hrstrat57

My current weapon of choice....170 i supershape sw

ain't cheap tho....check with dawgcatching....you can PM him on Epic or recco you PM dawg he will break it down for you and come up with specific recco like he did for me with the i supershape.

I would 2nd choice 165 Volkl Racetiger SL

Friend of mine has Fischer RC racing 170, loved those too...I can ask him the particular model....think he got them from dawg too but not sure.....