• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poor Customer Service

hammer

I always carry cash....hate plastic, hate it...my wife gets pissed because of what I walk around with, but you never know when you'll wanna buy something.
I'm just the opposite, put everything on the plastic...usually the DW takes care of cash transactions (mostly handing out $$ to the kiddos).

campgottagopee

I'm just the opposite, put everything on the plastic...usually the DW takes care of cash transactions (mostly handing out $$ to the kiddos).

I know, most of my friends do the same as you---I just can't stand paying the bill when it comes.

dmc

me too... Except the kid thing...

i don't like carrying cash..

SKIQUATTRO

my $1.50 coffee goes on the plastic, can run nifty reports off amex and tie it into your personal budgeting to see exactly where you are spending your money...it can be shocking....also, we rack up the skymiles.....

thetrailboss

Staff member
my $1.50 coffee goes on the plastic, can run nifty reports off amex and tie it into your personal budgeting to see exactly where you are spending your money...it can be shocking....also, we rack up the skymiles.....

See, now that is something I don't like (no offense to you personally) because the merchant has to pay the fee for the credit card and in many cases if the purchase is too small the merchant loses money.

SKIQUATTRO

we take CC for my biz (abeit the transactions are much larger) and we get dinged for massive merchant processing fees, its cost of doing business...people are more likely to purchase more goods if a store provides CC over cash only.....if i only had a few bucks on me i might only get the coffee, now with the CC i might grab a sandwich too....in the end, the store does better with CC even if they lose $$ on a few transactions

hammer

See, now that is something I don't like (no offense to you personally) because the merchant has to pay the fee for the credit card and in many cases if the purchase is too small the merchant loses money.
If it's really a loss then they can put a minimum on CC transactions and I wouldn't have a problem with that. If they don't, however, I'm not going to feel bad about using a CC for a $5 purchase.

dmc

If it's really a loss then they can put a minimum on CC transactions and I wouldn't have a problem with that. If they don't, however, I'm not going to feel bad about using a CC for a $5 purchase.

Right... I guess they could put a sign up saying no CCs for purchases under $5...
But I don't think the CC companies would like that too much...

Warp Daddy

I just saw a new book this afternoon in the library called Retirementology . In it their research indicated that when folks use plastic over cash there is a 30 % increase in their discretionary ( impulse) spending .

Not sure i buy that high but i'm sure there is significantly more spending on discretionary level

mlctvt

No matter what Friendly's restaurant i go to the service is sub par.

Friendly's does suck, I can't belive they are still in business.

Their new motto should be
Friendly's, we're anything but....

bvibert

Staff member
Right... I guess they could put a sign up saying no CCs for purchases under $5...
But I don't think the CC companies would like that too much...

I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to do that, but some places do anyway.

mlctvt

My wife and I do this too, it's very convenient and there’s no need to carry cash at all.
Everything we buy is on our credit card which we get 1.5% cash back. We pay it off in full every month so we've never paid a penny in interest over the last 20+ years.

I avoid the gas stations that charge extra for credit cards.

SKIQUATTRO

a store/biz cannot (by the CC Merchant agreement) set a limit on the dollar amount they accept, they have to accept all transactions...although most do put up signs as they dont want to pay the fee, but legally, they have to accept the CC.

jrmagic

I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to do that, but some places do anyway.

There are a fair number of places by me that do it. Who says they aren't supposed to the CC companies? if so I think that's pretty effed up of them. While it sucks if you are the consumer and you like usnig a card for everything, a merchant shouldn't have to lose money on a transaction.

dmc

Same here Camp , i pay as i go ----------------------------- I 'm into building HNW with good financial discipline .

You could use a debit card... then you only spend what you have and don't have to pay it back..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
pay peanuts and you get monkeys.......

its sad, but its a new generation of slack parenting (no discipline or manners) you can be a parent and your kids friend at the same time, most parents just want to be their friend and let manners, discipline and lessons of a strong work ethic go out the window...

its a generation of non respect and kids who dont care....but as Camp said, it stems from the top, that being mgmt and parents...

It's rather odd. I have found that the general level of respect and courtesy have declined across all age groups in the northeast. I often find myself in crowded situations and pushed by teens, soccer moms and old ladies without so much as a comment of consideration. Alternately, will just stand and stare, expecting you to clear the way without a spoken word.

What is particularly odd is that those who are my late parents age do the same thing now -they used to be the same ones to make eye contact, smile and hold the door open. I suppose they got run over too many times. We are all potential axe murderers now...

Warp Daddy

You could use a debit card... then you only spend what you have and don't have to pay it back..

Got one , used it on sabbatical leave, then kept it -- still prefer cash -- probably a generational thing D - 'sides which i like the feel of it :D:D