• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aspen and Other Western Resort Towns

UVSHTSTRM

I have been out west riding before, but it was during the spring. I have also taken several weather based classes in college. However I have a question in regards to Aspen and other western ski towns. Do the towns get much in the way of snow? A mountain like Aspen gets over 300" a year, but the town itself doesn't. I understand that it wouldn't get the full amount, but I would think it might get 100" or so. I am guessing it doesn't though as Aspen or any other of the major ski towns out west don't show up on the snowiest places lists.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I had to guess, the town of Aspen probably gets 200 inches of snow a year as it's right at the base of the mountain. I'd think a 50% increase in snowfall at the summit over the base for a 3000 vert mountain is a reasonable estimate.

as to why such places as Aspen don't show up on the snowiest places lists? I'd assume most of them have population qualifiers.

Mapnut

Maybe they just don't have precipitation gauges that report to the National Weather Service.

4aprice

Aspen's elevation is about 8000 ft so yes they get plenty of snow and is one of the prettiest places in a snowstorm. One usually sees quite a bit of difference from Aspen as you drive down the valley to Glenwood Springs. Most of the Colorado resorts are pretty high up. Where you really see a difference of course is driving up the canyons in Utah from 4000 ft to 8000 ft. You can even see the difference between Park City and the canyon areas. Why they are not listed as one of the snowiest places, I have no idea.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

mister moose

I don't know about Aspen, but Breckenridge (the town) gets a boatload. The town and the base of peak 9 is 9,600 feet. Crested Butte gets a lot as well.

gores95

If I had to guess, the town of Aspen probably gets 200 inches of snow a year as it's right at the base of the mountain. I'd think a 50% increase in snowfall at the summit over the base for a 3000 vert mountain is a reasonable estimate.

as to why such places as Aspen don't show up on the snowiest places lists? I'd assume most of them have population qualifiers.

Bingo. Ski towns are not as populous as Buffalo and larger cities so the Aspens, Brecks, Steamboats of the USA don't show on these lists.

UVSHTSTRM

Bingo. Ski towns are not as populous as Buffalo and larger cities so the Aspens, Brecks, Steamboats of the USA don't show on these lists.

Not necessarily true. Depending on what list you look at Caribou, Me is on many lists as is, I think it's called Blue Canyon, Ca, neither has a significant population.

vdk03

I don't know about Aspen, but Breckenridge (the town) gets a boatload. The town and the base of peak 9 is 9,600 feet. Crested Butte gets a lot as well.

It has to do with the elevation, I live in alma @ about 10,700 feet and we were getting some pretty good snow (about 5 inches). Left to go to the Breckenridge and as we drove down Hoosier Pass their was less and less, at the bottom of the gondola in town there was just a dusting. Then at the top of the CO Super Chair their was the snow again. I think it is the same with most of the resort towns out here.

mister moose

It has to do with the elevation, I live in alma @ about 10,700 feet and we were getting some pretty good snow (about 5 inches). Left to go to the Breckenridge and as we drove down Hoosier Pass their was less and less, at the bottom of the gondola in town there was just a dusting. Then at the top of the CO Super Chair their was the snow again. I think it is the same with most of the resort towns out here.

No kidding, Alma. I used to drive through there a lot. There used to be a fun place called Silver Heels Cafe in the center of town that had better than average food and looked like a movie set for a western bar brawl. Has Alma grown much due to Breck's expansion? What about Fairplay?

vdk03

No kidding, Alma. I used to drive through there a lot. There used to be a fun place called Silver Heels Cafe in the center of town that had better than average food and looked like a movie set for a western bar brawl. Has Alma grown much due to Breck's expansion? What about Fairplay?

Just moved here about two weeks ago, so growth wise I can't really comment. It is still a tiny little town, with only a general store (Almart), post office, a bar and saloon oh and a hydroponics shop/dispensary. One thing I have noticed is that quite a few of the locals that work in Breck live in either Alma or Fairplay, it is quite a bit cheaper then living in town. I don't know when you were last out here but I'm pretty sure there haven't been a lot of new homes going up or anything. Breckenridge still has new homes going up though.