• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What Is Your Worst Skiing Habit?

MadMadWorld

For me it's a few things:

From a technical standpoint, I always seem to fall on to the habit of being in the backseat when skiing a fast/icy bump line. Most of the time I don't even realize what I am doing until I get launched in the air ackwardly because I was too far back.

My other bad habit is taking off my ski boots at lunch. I dont know why I can't just unbuckle them like everyone else. And it's always such an inconvenience to get them back on.

I know everyone has something so share!

Smasandian

Being a chicken shit while turning to the right. I always try to tell myself to not depend on one side but I always do.

Horrible thing for me.

emmaurice2

I have a habit of not pacing myself to last a whole day of skiing. This is less of a problem when I ski with friends.

Going to the backseat is one of the bad habits I'm really working on breaking this season.

C-Rex

It's a snowboarding habit but whatever, I want to participate. :cool:

I get over confident and try to pop too hard of a jump or roller. I end up with a slow forward rotation in the air that usually ends with someone asking me if I'm alright.

I also have the habit of taking one more run when I'm tired and should call it quits. Nothing like telling your legs to do something and they just blatantly ignore you. Especially in the woods when I really can't afford the delay.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I def go backwards on bumps, particularly steep bumps. I hate that. Speed goes up and I cant seem to check it enough in the moguls, I accelerate, start to fall backwards on my heels, and next thing you know I'm running perpendicular to the slope flying over bumps almost yard saleing it in an attempt to regain my composure. Whoops!

soulseller

After 3 days back on skis (i'm a boarder) backseat is by far my biggest problem, 5-6 runs and my quads are on fire. I need to take a lesson.

BenedictGomez

being in the backseat when skiing a fast/icy bump line.

That one. But only on steep bumps.

I dont know what I can do to "force" myself forward, or why I do it in the first place.

I think it's because on steeps I feel like hands forward psychologically makes me feel like a ski jumper pointing forward (even though I know it's nothing like that), like I'll lose it and tumble face-first or something. As someone said, I should probably take a lesson.

MadMadWorld

It's a snowboarding habit but whatever, I want to participate. :cool:

I get over confident and try to pop too hard of a jump or roller. I end up with a slow forward rotation in the air that usually ends with someone asking me if I'm alright.

I also have the habit of taking one more run when I'm tired and should call it quits. Nothing like telling your legs to do something and they just blatantly ignore you. Especially in the woods when I really can't afford the delay.
Boarders are welcome too. I can remember this same problem. When I was a kid nothing was scarier than being in the air, facing in the wrong direction and not being able to correct it. All you could do was brace for impact haha

2knees

Being a chicken shit while turning to the right. I always try to tell myself to not depend on one side but I always do.

Horrible thing for me.

Were you involved in nascar at some point in your life?

steamboat1

Proper use of your ski poles would do a lot to help those that feel they ski in the back seat.

My only bad habit is being hung over most of the time when I ski.

MadMadWorld

I dont know what I can do to "force" myself forward, or why I do it in the first place.

I think it's because on steeps I feel like hands forward psychologically makes me feel like a ski jumper pointing forward (even though I know it's nothing like that), like I'll lose it and tumble face-first or something. As someone said, I should probably take a lesson.
The hands forward thing never worked for me. I would just put my hands forward but still sitting in the backseat. When I had a student that had an issue with being too far back, I always used the "gas pedal" method. As your coming over the top of the mogul, press your toes down into the front of your boot like your stepping on the gas. You want your tips to be moving downward so you have better control in between each mogul. Doing this is also helps you begin to get better forward flexion, balance, etc. IMO, this is the most important thing to learn when it comes to moguls. I by no means am a world class bump skier but I think I at least have a good understanding of the technical side of things.

SkiFanE

Yes..you have to be more forward than feels natural. Practice in not so steep bumps, it's not what feels natural at first, but you quickly realize you have much more control when your front edges are on snow. Tough part this time of year is the bumps that are soft, with crust between them...b/c on nice soft bumps my stance is not as forward as it is when there is ice/crud, and you need to do serious edging...I end up not being a carver but a skidder...tough to go between soft and crust...man we need snow!

Also heard a great tip to lift up your toes to touch the top of your ski boot...can't remember what this does exactly (sorry) but it does help keep you in the proper position..when I feel I can't get my sh!t together on a run, I'll put this to use and it usually gets me back to form.

bigbog

For a while there I wasn't keeping the hips aligned, and level with the slope, at all....still isn't a 100% done deal, but getting close. ...And still have to talk to myself, on occasion, to move forward transitioning into the next turn:lol: ...but again, getting better.

Last edited: