• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I want to ski better damn it! How can I?

mondeo

You also need to consider the goals in mind. You desire to have competition level bump technique. Video is HUGE for achieving that goal.

However, there are a lot of incredible bump skiers that don't have the dialed in orthodox style you're going for. They ski them as well as you do, just differently.

I'm not saying video isn't a good idea as it truly is the only way you can "see" where your faults are. I'm just not so sure it's a great investment for a recreational skier getting out 15 times a year.
I don't think what style you're going for makes that much difference in how valuable video is. The benefit is in showing you what you actually look like vs how you think you look like, so you can figure out what needs to be changed to get you where you want to be and break down where the mechanics are going wrong. And I'd say it's helpful in any sport, not just skiing.

It's also not that much of an investment for what you get out of it. Take a couple minutes of video, max, then keep on skiing. And when you have some time at home, or even in the gondola, take a look at it.

SkiFanE

Really likes it there, it's ended up being a good fit. Grades have been pretty good so far although a CS class this semester (that is available as a math option for his major) isn't going well for him so he will likely drop it...no big deal but he will have to make up the credits. He's been really involved with HvZ this semester so that keeps him occupied when he's not studying (we hope).

He lives in Southwest but was smart enough to stay in his dorm when the "riot" happened after the Superbowl.

Lol..I was there for the 1986 post Red Sox/Mets world series..."riot" back then in Southwest. But ya know...kids nowadays just can't handle themselves :razz: HvZ? Wha'ts that?

Cheese

A quote I like: "practice don't make perfect, practice make permanent

+1

Yes, spring is a great time to learn as the snow is soft and slow. If we were on the hill I could demonstrate this far better but I'll give it a try here.

Go to the top of the hill and wait for an expert. Once he passes, watch his line down through the moguls. Notice that it's virtually straight down a center line, his boots basically remain on that line and his skis rapidly change direction centered on that line.

Notice that his shoulders are centered vertically above the line and perpendicular to the line regardless of what his skis are doing.

Now ski off to the side of the mogul run and wait for another expert to come through the moguls. Notice from the side the upper body is straight, weight is forward and the hands are in front for the entire run. Even after he plants his pole in the face of each mogul he brings his hands back together in front of his chest instead of dropping them to his side like skiers do on flat groomed trails.

Now take a look at the mogul field from the side. You should be able to see a similar line as the one you saw from the top but this line goes across the hill at a slightly down hill angle. This is your learning line. Many beginners will start at the top, maybe get one or two bumps right and then spend the rest of the run hanging on for dear life while practicing those bad habits. Instead, your line across the hill should be slow, have 4-5 bumps in a row and then be over. Look up hill to make sure no one is coming then make your run across the hill practicing the body positioning you just witnessed. After the 4-5 bumps put you at the side of the trail, stop, analyze your body position from the last run and think of corrections you can make on the next pass. Again, look for the traverse line in the moguls, look up the hill for a clearing and practice on another set of 4-5 bumps and stop again. Continue this traversing practice as long as your legs remain strong.

Great mogul skiing is all about reaction time and minimizing body movements so that you can keep up. Any rotation of the shoulders will slow down your reaction time. Pole planting needs to come quickly from the wrists instead of slowly from the arms and shoulders. Dropping your hands will cause your weight to fall backwards so keep them out front. I've often suggested people bump their thumbs together after each pole plant to make sure their shoulders are squared and hands are out front.

This was quick and not well written but hopefully it gives you a small amount of guidance before you hit the moguls on your next day out.

Good luck!

loafasaur

The single best way to get better fast is to take a lesson. A group lesson is a good bet because the more advanced groups tend to be smaller.

Spring is a good time to venture into the bumps and trees. It's soft and deep at the right mountain (hint: my nom de board is a good spring choice). Cheese is right on about technique, but if it's steep the "zip line" he advocates, straight down the hill, makes controlling speed an issue. The mogul purists will cringe, but it you can pick a serpintine line (series of S's) and stay reasonably close to the fall line, you can control speed better. The key is to not get pointed sideways. Look down the hill and have a plan where you're going.

Looking down the hill and having a line to ski planned in your head is REAL important for bumps. Look ahead and keep a rhythm going with the bumps.

Concentrate on keeping your body LOW, close to your knees, in bumps. You'll straighten up naturally on the downhill side of each bump. Concentrating on staying low will help you not be stiff. I'm sure you know what happens when you stiffen up in the bumps.

Concentrate on keeping your hands in front of your body, in bumps and everywhere else. This is a great help to keep your weight centered. Don't drag your poles--your weight is back when you do. Take a couple of groomer runs without poles and concentrate on keeping your hands in front. Then try it again with the poles. You'll see.

Trees are a lot like bumps. It's psychology. Look where they aren't, not where they are. Plan your route--it's surprisingly easy when you have a plan.

This ol' lizard's $02.

BenedictGomez

I've often suggested people bump their thumbs together after each pole plant to make sure their shoulders are squared and hands are out front.

That's a great tip, I'll have to try that in bumps and tree-bumps. Occasionally I do find I lose my hands a bit.

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
cert_pro_banner.jpg

Bostonian

Just want to thank everyone for their tips and recommendations :) First thing I am going to do is try those dolphin turns. I hope to be out on the hill Saturday night or tomorrow night. All depending on the wife's approval. I want to hit some soft bumps this spring if possible!

WWF-VT

+1

Yes, spring is a great time to learn as the snow is soft and slow. If we were on the hill I could demonstrate this far better but I'll give it a try here.

Go to the top of the hill and wait for an expert. Once he passes, watch his line down through the moguls. Notice that it's virtually straight down a center line, his boots basically remain on that line and his skis rapidly change direction centered on that line.

Notice that his shoulders are centered vertically above the line and perpendicular to the line regardless of what his skis are doing.

Now ski off to the side of the mogul run and wait for another expert to come through the moguls. Notice from the side the upper body is straight, weight is forward and the hands are in front for the entire run. Even after he plants his pole in the face of each mogul he brings his hands back together in front of his chest instead of dropping them to his side like skiers do on flat groomed trails.

Now take a look at the mogul field from the side. You should be able to see a similar line as the one you saw from the top but this line goes across the hill at a slightly down hill angle. This is your learning line. Many beginners will start at the top, maybe get one or two bumps right and then spend the rest of the run hanging on for dear life while practicing those bad habits. Instead, your line across the hill should be slow, have 4-5 bumps in a row and then be over. Look up hill to make sure no one is coming then make your run across the hill practicing the body positioning you just witnessed. After the 4-5 bumps put you at the side of the trail, stop, analyze your body position from the last run and think of corrections you can make on the next pass. Again, look for the traverse line in the moguls, look up the hill for a clearing and practice on another set of 4-5 bumps and stop again. Continue this traversing practice as long as your legs remain strong.

This was quick and not well written but hopefully it gives you a small amount of guidance before you hit the moguls on your next day out.

Good luck!

Sounds like a great way to watch an "expert" ski but watching is only one piece of getting a beginner to the next level. I suggest you do the same exercise only with an instructor who is skilled and focused on teaching skiing moguls.

LiquidFeet

To the OP: be aware that many folk suggesting skipping lessons and just ski a lot while following others better than you DO MEAN start as a child and ski 20 years and you'll get it, just like they did.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
To the OP: be aware that many folk suggesting skipping lessons and just ski a lot while following others better than you DO MEAN start as a child and ski 20 years and you'll get it, just like they did.

No.

I'm saying that unless you can get out on the slopes on a regular basis, probably at least once a week on average, then the lessons will be wasted money.

Ideally, everyone would ski all the time and take lessons. However, in reality most of us have only a certain amount of time and money to dedicate to skiing. If given a choice of more days on the hill or a few lessons, I think it would be more beneficial to ski more. Just my opinion.

wa-loaf

Not at all.

No.

I'm saying that unless you can get out on the slopes on a regular basis, probably at least once a week on average, then the lessons will be wasted money.

Ideally, everyone would ski all the time and take lessons. However, in reality most of us have only a certain amount of time and money to dedicate to skiing. If given a choice of more days on the hill or a few lessons, I think it would be more beneficial to ski more. Just my opinion.

This

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Not at all. I skied 16 years as a terminal intermediate BEFORE I started focusing and watching others, my base was pathetic before I decided to step it up. I know many skiers that went from snow plow to awesome in six years. It is cool to toss out personal opinion in this thread but your read on others' opinions is just plain wrong.

goldsbar

Agree with ToddW per my prior post. The problem with watching "experts" is that skiing is composed of small movements that translate into big movements. Watching someone will show you the outcome, not the technique that led to that outcome. Many "experts" have plenty of bad habits but manage toget away with them through being solid in other areas and having very good balance.

witch hobble

:dontknow: Invent a time machine (hot tub? phone booth? DeLorean?). Go back and start as a child, preferably with avid skier parents.

Holisitic skiing? I like it. Try to become a better person, a better human, a better citizen of the planet. Then ski ability should flow outward from your perfectly centered inner being. :spin:

Tune 'em. Turn 'em. Drop out! Ski bum somewhere.

mondeo

You people are making this too complicated.

Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn. All there is to it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No.

agreed

You can spend $300 to ski with Dan Egan for a day or get a season pass to a mid-sized area for $400. The latter is the better investment IMO.