• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon question - wind holds

Bumpsis

Question for Cannon regulars:
If the summit winds are projected to be at 30-40 mph, is it safe to assume that the Peabody Quad will also be on wind hold?

I'm sure that with such gusts, the tram and the Cannonball Quad will be out of operation.

I'm thinking about hitting Cannon this coming Friday, but the wind forecast for that day has me a bit worried. If the Peabody isn't running then I'm reduced down to lapping the Zoomer chair. Even though the snow will be good, being limited to just Zoomer is less than attractive.

Angus

wind direction is real important as Puck It says above. Been there with howling winds but all chairs running. If coming from south, stop and ask about wind holds. I've found the guys in parking lot to be very upfront and if it looks tenuous proceed to BW.

polski

Website
twitter.com
I skied Cannon the day after Valentine's Day 2007 whopper and with the possible exception of BW it was the only mountain around without wind holds that day. It seems to do fine in NW winds for reasons I don't fully understand. As I recall it wasn't even particularly breezy on the mountain that day. The 26" of new snow was wind-affected though, with 5-6' whalebacks up top.

SIKSKIER

Cannon is almost never on windhold when most other areas are.The one direction that kills them is the south wind.If a storm comes up and goes west of Cannon there is a good chance of windholds.Like last Friday when it only opened for 1 hour.Franconia Notch rises 1000 ft and it is like a funnel with no where for the wind to go.It gets excellerated like you can't believe.Sounds like my roof is going to come off at Mittersill during a south wind event.
Check out most of the areas today and you'll see all lot of them have windholds while Cannon is fully open.

xwhaler

From Cannon's website

*8:52am update - The Cannonball & Peabody lifts are currently on wind hold. Zoomer, Tuckerbrook, Eagle Cliff, & Brookside are still operating.

SIKSKIER

That's why I don't listen to myself.The earlier report said all lifts would run.If you look at the webcam it doesn't look windy.I'll bet something else is at fault here.Multiple lift breakdowns lately so the wind is a convienent excuse.I'm making a call right now to friends.

xwhaler

Guessing folks are hiking up to the Cannonball....

*9:20am update - The Peabody & Zoomer lifts are currently on wind hold. Tuckerbrook, Eagle Cliff, Brookside, & Cannonball lifts are still operating, although there's no way to get to the Cannonball lift unless you're already there! Weather reports call for diminishing winds as the day goes on and Patrol will continue to monitor the situation. Lifts will reopen as soon as conditions become more favorable. By the way...it's still an outright snowstorm here!

Bumpsis

Tomorrow's winds are forecasted to be W-NW, so it sounds like the lifts can operate under those conditions. For as long as the Peabody chair is running, it opens up a bit more terrain than just Zoomer.
Thanks for the input.

SIKSKIER

Just going to post that update.
*9:20am update - The Peabody & Zoomer lifts are currently on wind hold. Tuckerbrook, Eagle Cliff, Brookside, & Cannonball lifts are still operating, although there's no way to get to the Cannonball lift unless you're already there!

SIKSKIER

Tomorrow's winds are forecasted to be W-NW, so it sounds like the lifts can operate under those conditions. For as long as the Peabody chair is running, it opens up a bit more terrain than just Zoomer.
Thanks for the input.

I don't see a problem at all tommorrow except for maybe the usual issues that plague my favorite mt.Uhhg!

Puck it

Got two runs and that was it. Headed back home. Cannonball opened back up after I left. We should have skinned up to Cannonball.

Cannonball

There is some legit criticism of Cannon flying on this board right now. But the wind holds today were the real deal. It was honking out of the south. Bretton Woods and Loon had major wind holds too.

The bigger question for me right now is are there ANY weather sites that we can rely on to get even remotely in the ballpark for forecasts?? So far this season they have all consistently failed at forecasting accumulations, wind, timing, temps, etc. It's become a total crap shoot.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The bigger question for me right now is are there ANY weather sites that we can rely on to get even remotely in the ballpark for forecasts?? So far this season they have all consistently failed at forecasting accumulations, wind, timing, temps, etc. It's become a total crap shoot.
Winnchill works for www.snowforecast.com They exclusively are focused on higher elevation weather. The forecasts that most people see are for those in the flatlands (where the market is.) These people take Upslope into consideration, a big factor.

That, plus the NWS mountain and recreation forecasts for the higher summits do a pretty good job at sizing things up.

Go to my page, I've got links to all that stuff. I just organized it last night finally. ski.iabsi.com