• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Whiteface Slides are OPEN!

skisheep

Whiteface slides opened today! Shovel, Beacon and Probe required for entry. Pictures on Facebook look pretty sweet, however, for those who want to head up there, keep in mind that just because they are open today DOES NOT mean that they will be open tomorrow, or any other day for that matter!

-skisheep

BenedictGomez

I thought the beacon, probe, and shovel are only required sometimes on The Slides? (i.e. it's their discretion when it is or isnt)

Smellytele

Was about to mention for those thinking about heading up, beacon, probe, shovel, and knowledge of how to use them are required to access the Slides when they are open mid-winter.

I do know how to use one but have always rented one or got one from a guide. Do they have any to rent in the Whiteface area? Can't see buying one for the one time every year or so I may need one. When I used to climb a lot I almost bought one but never did.

MadMadWorld

I do know how to use one but have always rented one or got one from a guide. Do they have any to rent in the Whiteface area? Can't see buying one for the one time every year or so I may need one. When I used to climb a lot I almost bought one but never did.

I got a gently used one for under $200. I might recommend checking out other forums *gasp* like TGR to find one. That's how I got mine.

Cornhead

I will be there Thursday. I stopped at my local shop after work, the owner suggested I look up one of his ex employees who works at the ORDA store in Lake Placid. He said he has gear he would loan me. Might try to look him up, be fun to try the slides, they've been open several times when I've been there, but I've yet to ski them. They could very well be closed by Thursday, the rest if the mountain should be good regardless, 90% open.

skisheep

Now open NO AVALANCHE GEAR REQUIRED! Decent chance though that if they open tomorrow they will require avalanche gear due to weekend crowds as a way to keep gapers out so who knows.

-skisheep

Last edited:

C-Rex

Now open NO AVALANCHE GEAR REQUIRED! Decent change though that if they open tomorrow they will require avalanche gear due to weekend crowds as a way to keep gapers out so who knows.

-skisheep

It would be a good idea for them to require the equipment to keep schmucks out. Sure it would hurt those of us who are not morons but don't have gear, but it would force people to take it seriously.

AdironRider

It would be a good idea for them to require the equipment to keep schmucks out. Sure it would hurt those of us who are not morons but don't have gear, but it would force people to take it seriously.

Why?

Honestly, the slides, while epic for East coast, are relatively tame in the grand scheme of things. I think its more hurtful than beneficial to keep them excluded to only gear wearing patrons when they are perfectly safe. Again, these are not really active slide paths, but more average terrain for a Western resort's alpine offerings, which are open regularly without avi equipment being required every day.

Huck_It_Baby

Why?

Honestly, the slides, while epic for East coast, are relatively tame in the grand scheme of things. I think its more hurtful than beneficial to keep them excluded to only gear wearing patrons when they are perfectly safe. Again, these are not really active slide paths, but more average terrain for a Western resort's alpine offerings, which are open regularly without avi equipment being required every day.

I agree. Whiteface should ease up a bit in my opinion. I would go there frequently if they had a more liberal policy on the slides requiring gear and how often they are considered open.

I hope this thaw doesn't hurt them too badly.

BenedictGomez

The Slides are OPEN, here's the deets

-Slide 1 Closed
-Slide 2 & 2B see ski patrol
-Slide 3 & 4 EXPERT ONLY, buddy system
They're not requiring Avalanche gear (aka if you have this you probably wont break your leg gear) so conditions must be pretty good I imagine.

I will be there on Sunday, which means they will close Saturday afternoon (Slides have never been open when I've been at Whiteface), so get out and enjoy them if you can.

watkin

I still have a whiteface anytime voucher if anyone wants it.. PM if interested.

Cornhead

I think you should be able to rent the required gear in Lake Placid, 9 miles from WF.