• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Damage from the thaw

BenedictGomez

Once the temps get down the guns should fire back up again generating New England powder.:fangun:

Starting this afternoon, temps should be at or near freezing for much of the next week or so, and if ever there were a reason to go balls-to-the-wall on snowmaking, I'd have to imagine it would be a 3-day holiday weekend. That said, if it's as bad as some are saying, I'm not sure how much can be done with 4 days of snowmaking (assuming they kick the guns on at lift close today and run them pretty much until friday morning).

fbrissette

Starting this afternoon, temps should be at or near freezing for much of the next week or so, and if ever there were a reason to go balls-to-the-wall on snowmaking, I'd have to imagine it would be a 3-day holiday weekend. That said, if it's as bad as some are saying, I'm not sure how much can be done with 4 days of snowmaking (assuming they kick the guns on at lift close today and run them pretty much until friday morning).

Even if they make snow 24/7, it will be ice skiing on big highways. Not much fun.

Puck it

They just keep growing!!!!

Cannon.jpg

Glenn

Well, the good news is cooler air should be in place tonight. And with a holiday weekend coming up, most areas will be full out on snowmaking. Water supplies should be good with all the melt. Ugh!

We need another good storm or 6.

Puck it

Looks like a lot of high winds in fro the forecast for the Whites coming up ove the next five days. The word is "damaging". Not great for snowmaking when you are blowing snow everywhere but the trail.

snoseek

Can anyone give me an idea of how much snow lays in the woods in Southern NH, say Bear Brook state park?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
With so little natural snow terrain any where, I suspect this coming holiday weekend is going to be a total shit show. Not enough terrain to spread around holiday crowds. Good grief. We may follow up one of the best Christmas weeks in recent history with one of the work MLK weekends! Mansfield stake is back below average and will probably be significantly below average by tomorrow.

BenedictGomez

I suspect this coming holiday weekend is going to be a total shit show. Not enough terrain to spread around holiday crowds. Good grief. We may follow up one of the best Christmas weeks in recent history with one of the work MLK weekends!

Don't forget probably 5 to 15 degree temps, with God only knows what kind of windchill numbers.

skisheep

Whiteface down to 46 trails from 80 just a few days ago, pretty much everything that was open on natural is now gone, and Wilmington Trail is also closed which is not good considering that they just spent the entire last week making snow on it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
MRG is closed meanwhile Sugarbush is still reporting 111/111. What a crock of chit.

Anyone up for a run down Castle Rock tomorrow.
LOL. They even admit they are down to half as much in their report while keeping the numbers/stats reporting fully open:

The sun is out and the snow is soft! After our third snowiest December on record, and with over 140 inches of snowfall season to date, we are in the midst of a January thaw – but thanks to all that previous snowfall, we are able to keep 67 trails open today.

What a crock of chit indeed. They report 98/111 on Snocountry but 111/111 on their own site. MRG can't even open. Where is the BS emoticon when you need one?

fbrissette

MRG is closed meanwhile Sugarbush is still reporting 111/111. What a crock of chit.

Anyone up for a run down Castle Rock tomorrow.

Their detailed snow report says that they has 67 trails opened today (Monday) but that they would plan to open up with 111 tomorrow with the possibility of closing a few. Never seen a report that made so little sense.

bdfreetuna

I wouldn't put it past Sugarbush to leave trails open which have bare areas... *which is usually a good thing

still that seems a little fishy

KevinF

Stowe was reporting 107 trails open this morning when the first updated their snow-report page, but it's currently reporting 74. Basically, anything that was open on natural snow is now closed.

If it's as cold as the temps being reported in this thread, that'll keep a lot of people off the slopes. 2012 MLK weekend was one of the best weekends at Stowe all year (big snowstorm on Friday night); it was also stupidly cold (negative double digits Fahrenheit at the top of the Fourrunner Quad). I never waited very long.

bootladder

The Cannon man made trails were actually quite nice on Sunday, but Zoomer and Rocket should not have been open. I saw a Family of 3 who definitely should have not been on Zoomer, the kid was probably about 6 or 7. Took two of my chair rides before they got down. I was stupid enough to try Rocket and had to bail over to Gary's.

Glad to finally ski Bypass, but had to be a bit careful on the head wall, where there was a huge bare patch.

Very sad driving home today and viewing what is left of the front 5.