• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

iPhone controller for skiing or riding

jaywbigred

I searched and couldn't find a forum post on this.

I wear a helmet that has built-in speakers (Smith Variant Brim) and use my iPhone 4GS (with Siri) for both music and to (rarely) take calls while skiing.

I bought the helmet almost two years ago, and since then I have been able to do this with one simple chord from Skull Candy that ran from the phone to the helmet (with male input/jacks on both ends). The chord had a clip about half way up that I clipped to the outside of my jacket. The volume control, stop button and answer call button were all easily used with my gloved hand.

The wire recently conked out on me. Skully Candy makes a version of this wire still, but the controls are so small that you have to take your glove off (my wife has the new version and hates it). Other companies seem to make versions, but so far I have only found ones that are either not glove friendly, do not look suitable to cold weather, or the controls are part of an existing ear bud.

Does anyone have an suggestions? I am really wedded to the idea of a wired solution. I do not want to go to bluetooth nor do I want to bear the expense of new headphones for the helmet if I can help it.

jaywbigred

Yeah, I've heard bad things about battery life and sound quality. One friend also said that bad weather (cold, snow, etc...i.e. ski conditions) effects his functionality. Don't know how true that is).

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, I've heard bad things about battery life and sound quality. One friend also said that bad weather (cold, snow, etc...i.e. ski conditions) effects his functionality. Don't know how true that is).

Newer phones like the Samsung galaxy and iPhone 5 have Bluetooth Low Power (Bluetooth 4.0) which has a much smaller impact on battery but I think they need compatible accessories also.