• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone been to Wildcat lately?

abc

I'll be in the Whites this coming weekend and have Sunday free. Wondering if it's worth spending it at the Cat.

abc

Why not?

Lift ticket aren't cheap. Wildcat is still charging regular price. So I want to know its condition is good. Like are most runs and lifts still open? Their website wasn't saying any specific on such.

EPB

Wildcat is still charging regular price. So I want to know its condition is good. Like are most runs and lifts still open?

I was there on Saturday. The place was close to 100% open, but it looks like they're going to lose the majority of their natural trails, well, at least the natural trails on the lower mountain (i.e. everything that isn't groomed on their last report). Everything was skiable with reasonable coverage. It took some planning / navigation on the natural runs, but it was by no means impossible to ski down without running over a bunch of junk.

Tickets were $55 on the weekend, which is down ~20% from full rates. I don't know if they'll lower it to $40 now that they're closed all week, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd take a look at the report on Saturday, but expect all the trails with snowmaking to have good cover and maybe some limited bump runs available on the mid to upper mountain.

Puck it

Why not?

Lift ticket aren't cheap. Wildcat is still charging regular price. So I want to know its condition is good. Like are most runs and lifts still open? Their website wasn't saying any specific on such.
If

If you ski it. They will keep it open.

abc

I was there on Saturday. The place was close to 100% open, but it looks like they're going to lose the majority of their natural trails, well, at least the natural trails on the lower mountain (i.e. everything that isn't groomed on their last report). Everything was skiable with reasonable coverage. It took some planning / navigation on the natural runs, but it was by no means impossible to ski down without running over a bunch of junk.

Tickets were $55 on the weekend, which is down ~20% from full rates. I don't know if they'll lower it to $40 now that they're closed all week, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd take a look at the report on Saturday, but expect all the trails with snowmaking to have good cover and maybe some limited bump runs available on the mid to upper mountain.
Thanks for the report.

I'll check in on Saturday and make a decision then.

Cornhead

You can ski Tucks for free. :wink: Have you been to Wildcat before? I've been twice, first time on a clear day, second time last Spring, Mt Washington shrouded in fog. I was a bit disappointed. I think the view of George in your face all day is a big part of the appeal for me. I was a little bummed this year skiing Cannon for the first time on a cloudy/foggy day. I knew I was missing out on some spectacular views. I stayed at the Kinsman Inn at the foot of Mittersill, and couldn't see the mountain at all from there. I would suggest hitting them on a clear, or non-foggy, day if you can. Of course this time of year, your lucky to ski it at all. I don't think I'm ready to put my skis away yet, Gore was incredible Sunday. I see at the least a trip to Killington in my future before I'm done. I was glad I hadn't taken the snows of my car Sunday. It was slick, an inch or two of cement that the traffic had compacted into a packed slush glaze on rt 30 near Speculator in the Daks.

abc

You can ski Tucks for free. :wink:
I thought of that. But I'm in such terrible shape fitness-wise this year, I don't think I would make it in good spirit. I'd rather not to make the day into a death march.

Of course this time of year, your lucky to ski it at all.
I WILL ski this Sunday. It's only a matter of which mountain. Wildcat is the closest but quite a few other candidates are also within striking distance.

I think the view of George in your face all day is a big part of the appeal for me.
I would suggest hitting them on a clear, or non-foggy, day if you can.
That's a good point! I'll let weather be my guide.

EPB

I WILL ski this Sunday. It's only a matter of which mountain. Wildcat is the closest but quite a few other candidates are also within striking distance.

It was just brought to my attention today that Sunday River is offering free skiing on Sunday. It appears that operation might be limited to the Barker Mountain area, so it might well be a mad house though. SR is ~ 1 hour from the Mount Washington Valley.

abc

It was just brought to my attention today that Sunday River is offering free skiing on Sunday. It appears that operation might be limited to the Barker Mountain area, so it might well be a mad house though. SR is ~ 1 hour from the Mount Washington Valley.
That's interesting information. Looks like it's an annual event for them?

If the weather is clear, Wildcat it will be. But if the weather is iffy, I might consider SR.

EPB

That's interesting information. Looks like it's an annual event for them?

If the weather is clear, Wildcat it will be. But if the weather is iffy, I might consider SR.

I believe it is... The lack of crowds at Wildcat on SR's closing weekend has prompted the Cat to not push it another weekend in years past. Needless to say, that's obviously good for your potential trip to Wildcat if that's where you choose to go.