• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worst Trail Maps

Savemeasammy

In Squaw's defense, they don't really have many trails! In order to have trails, you need trees ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Exactly. It would be a huge cluster f the name of every area or chute on the mountain.

Well, that is what they did a couple seasons back...

I went to Squaw the season after that map and it was a different perspective that is a bit easier to understand. The version you posted is somewhat accurate, it's just a lousy perspective that distorts things.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Not sure if this is the same painting Squaw has been using since 40 years ago, but it's very close:

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=galimg19276

I always thought this painting of Sugarloaf from the early 70s was pretty bad. The trails look like string.
http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=galimg23286

Map, I think the Squaw one you posted is actually pretty good....definitely better than the OP's. The one you posted at least gives you some feeling for the 3D aspect of the resort's layout that the OP's just doesn't provide.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not sure if this is the same painting Squaw has been using since 40 years ago, but it's very close:

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=galimg19276

I always thought this painting of Sugarloaf from the early 70s was pretty bad. The trails look like string.
http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=galimg23286

Agree on the Sugarloaf comment.

It does look like the same Squaw image...the problem being that Granite Chief and Shirley Lake areas are larger than they appear here.

MadMadWorld

Agree on the Sugarloaf comment.

It does look like the same Squaw image...the problem being that Granite Chief and Shirley Lake areas are larger than they appear here.

Yea they did a terrible job with that. I think both maps do a great job of depicting the Pallisades though!

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Great thread idea! Most ski areas in the United States seem to have pretty solid trail maps, but one thing I find frustrating is when there isn't any high quality (printable) version available. All the Aspen ski areas are culprits.

ScottySkis

I don't like it when they don't show their glades. I also need lift stats on the map (length, vertical, and ride time). It's a bonus if weather-permitting moguls are marked.

Marked glades yes should be shown, but unmarked ones shouldn't be shown.

snowmonster

Perhaps I'm too used to the Niehues style of map making. But, I always thought that this version of the Whistler Blackcomb map was useless:

whistler-blackcomb-trailmap-20091-1024x556.jpg

Also, size-wise, I think the Mont Saint Anne trail map is almost useless -- especially to people above a certain age group. It's not that it's laid out badly. But, their standard fold-out, pocket map has the map on half the sheet with the other half showing trail stats. You end up with a very small map with even tinier letters. A physical challenge when you're trying to read a map in the dusk and the Quebec winds are blowing!

Puck it

Perhaps I'm too used to the Niehues style of map making. But, I always thought that this version of the Whistler Blackcomb map was useless:

View attachment 8901

Also, size-wise, I think the Mont Saint Anne trail map is almost useless -- especially to people above a certain age group. It's not that it's laid out badly. But, their standard fold-out, pocket map has the map on half the sheet with the other half showing trail stats. You end up with a very small map with even tinier letters. A physical challenge when you're trying to read a map in the dusk and the Quebec winds are blowing!

It looks like a butterfly to me!!!!!