• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who has gotten their 2013-2014 Season passes?

bobbutts

I grabbed Pat's Peak midweek for my daughter and me and got several days on them in March already. Last year I got my best value from the Killington spring pass, so I will probably do that again. I think the rest will be using discounts or just walk up.

Edd

It gets tougher every year to make this decision but I'm going with:

Midweek Boyne pass (Loon, SR, Loaf)
Bold and the Beautiful (Cannon, BW midweek)
Vertical Value card (Cat, Attitash half price every day). It's $79 or so for the card and you get a free lift ticket out of the gate.

We may get hammered with snow this year but, if we don't, I can count on SR and Loon for a better product. I figured to justify the $599 for the Cat/Attitash/Crotched Classic pass, I'd have to go about 17 times vs. the Vertical Value card. I can do that easily but it gets weird if the weather sucks.

Next year I'm going back to deciding in April. After the prices go up a ways the choice gets harder.

I should re-post this in the first world problems thread.

Last edited:

Vortex

Missed this thread. Bought them in April and paid in full. I did the payment plan for a few years. Easier to bite he Bullet and pay it off. I will get my sons over Columbus day weekend. College pass. I Can do that with Boyne Points. Basically a free pass.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Got my Snowbird "Premium" Tram Pass two weeks ago. As said in other threads, I get 9 free days at other resorts (Deer Valley, PCMR, and Alta) and unlimited half-price tickets at Jackson Hole, Squaw/Alpine Meadows, Whistler, etc.

We had issues with them last season but I have to give credit when credit is due--they fixed the issue this year and took care of us and we have all these new benefits to boot.

ScottySkis

Got my Snowbird "Premium" Tram Pass two weeks ago. As said in other threads, I get 9 free days at other resorts (Deer Valley, PCMR, and Alta) and unlimited half-price tickets at Jackson Hole, Squaw/Alpine Meadows, Whistler, etc.

We had issues with them last season but I have to give credit when credit is due--they fixed the issue this year and took care of us and we have all these new benefits to boot.
That is amazing pass, their giving a lot to season pass holders this year.

dlague

If something like that existed in NE I would be all over it! The NY Gold Pass is pretty cool but too far for us! We are day trippers (as in driving) therefore we follow any deal within 2 hours from our house which accounts for about 35-40 resorts in VT, NH, ME and MA!

wtcobb

Need to officially make myself a NH resident next week, then buying the White Mountain Super Pass. Already have a Sugarbush For20s (get it Scotty?) pass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AlpineZone mobile app

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
haven't purchased my pass yet (Epic Pass).. not sure what i'm waiting for. peak 6 is well underway & with a "set" date to open of Dec 22. Probably will go with the Epic Local again and save $100 but maybe go for the full Epic and use my free days in Verbier, Switzerland! Just have to figure out how to afford to get there.. :snow:

ScottySkis

If something like that existed in NE I would be all over it! The NY Gold Pass is pretty cool but too far for us! We are day trippers (as in driving) therefore we follow any deal within 2 hours from our house which accounts for about 35-40 resorts in VT, NH, ME and MA!

If I still live in NY for 2014- 2015 season I most likely buy the gold pass.

mister moose

I never understood the concept of a seasons pass. You are limited to one resort all season - yes it is a fixed cost but.... In my family we are five skiers/snowboarders and the cost of season passes for all of us is crazy. Yet, I have been able to keep our single person per visit cost below $23 for the past 5 seasons with last season being the best thus far at under 14. We skied at 18 different resorts and experienced a wide variety of terrain, views, and conditions that can not be experienced at a single resort.

Yes I have to beg borrow and steal to find comps, friends with deals and visit resorts on certain dates but ... it is a challenge I am up to!

I'd be interested to hear how you get the price so low... are you saying you find a lot of comps through friends that work at resorts?

I've had season passes 3 times in my life - as a kid when afternoons at the local hill was like (almost) free day care, as a college student working at a resort, and as an adult when the merging of social life and dedicated skiing started to evolve. I did the weekend trips, ski clubs, and deal chasing thing a lot.

One surprise I never, ever expected is how I never get bored at the same mountain (Killington). It started out because of the size and snow quality, but became even more so as I got to know people. Also you enjoy the mountain more when you know it well and ski it often. You know where the conditions you like are, and you know how the mountain reacts to changes in the weather, snow, or crowds. If you want to ski alone you can find solitude, and if you want to ski with friends there is always someone you know just around the corner. This would never work for me at a smaller hill.

Sure, I like variety, and will ski other areas. But the bulk is at home.

Feels like home to me, feels like home to me, feels like I'm all the way back where I come from.

dmc

I never understood the concept of a seasons pass.

It's really easy... Buy one and show up whenever the F you want to ski...
And if you don't want to go to where your pass is... Go somewhere else...

..simple...

thetrailboss

Staff member
There is something to be said about frequenting one place versus going around to different areas. I also never got bored but learned the hill and knew where to go to find the goods and avoid crowds. That's worth a lot to me.

mister moose

There is something to be said about frequenting one place versus going around to different areas. I also never got bored but learned the hill and knew where to go to find the goods and avoid crowds. That's worth a lot to me.

Another thing - when you have a pass, you tend to risk marginal days much more. There are days if I was buying a ticket I would never go out, but with the pass, you give it a try. Many of those days it turns out to be way better than expected, or the forecast bad weather doesn't move in, and it turns out to be a great day. That's a great day you'd likely have missed without the pass. You can also leave early on a Friday and catch a few runs before closing, or ski the first two hours on Sunday and leave. You can show up, decide it sucks, and go home with no guilt.

And - the best skiers on the hill aren't doing it on day tickets as a general rule. They are that good because they put in the time - and the best way to put in a lot of time is buy a pass. If you want to improve your skiing, buy a pass and use it so much the lifties know you by name.

ScottySkis

Need to officially make myself a NH resident next week, then buying the White Mountain Super Pass. Already have a Sugarbush For20s (get it Scotty?) pass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AlpineZone mobile app
Awesome pass nothing beats 420.:):thumbup:

Edd

Another thing - when you have a pass, you tend to risk marginal days much more. There are days if I was buying a ticket I would never go out, but with the pass, you give it a try. Many of those days it turns out to be way better than expected, or the forecast bad weather doesn't move in, and it turns out to be a great day. That's a great day you'd likely have missed without the pass. You can also leave early on a Friday and catch a few runs before closing, or ski the first two hours on Sunday and leave. You can show up, decide it sucks, and go home with no guilt.

And - the best skiers on the hill aren't doing it on day tickets as a general rule. They are that good because they put in the time - and the best way to put in a lot of time is buy a pass. If you want to improve your skiing, buy a pass and use it so much the lifties know you by name.

Good post.

dlague

Good post.

I have to disagree! We skied 38 days last season which was every weekend (except one - not weather related) and never let weather deter us - skiing 18 different resorts. We skied with a per skier visit cost of $14. That experience and variety is tough to beat with a pass! We do this year after year! I would get bored skiing the same resort over and over again! So for us season passes - no thank you.

To each there own.

steamboat1

I agree with mister moose. If there is one place in the NE to have a pass it's K. Even though I've had one for years & enjoyed it even more during the ASC days I still get around, even back then. Still don't get tired of K. Usually I get 25-30 days on the pass & 15 -20 days skiing other areas with discount coupons & other deals. Even last year being limited to only 14 days skiing due to injury I skied 4 different resorts & still got my K pass down to under $50 a day. Actually paid less at the other resorts with the deals.

MadPadraic

I've got my Epic, but still nothing for the East Coast. I've only been to one of the big four in VT, and I'm thinking of spending a weekend at each, which would make a season pass silly. On the other hand, the Cannon+other lesser places pass is pretty compelling. Also, with at least 1 winter trip to Washington state planned, a Boyne pass would come in handy for Crystal, which is my lifetime highest percentage mountain on per day awesomeness.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Another thing - when you have a pass, you tend to risk marginal days much more. There are days if I was buying a ticket I would never go out, but with the pass, you give it a try.

absolutely. I know I'm much more likely to get on the hill when my day's already paid for and I don't have to question the value in buying a ticket.

If there is one place in the NE to have a pass it's K.

Why is Killington the "one" place in the NE to have a pass?