• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mountain

canobie#1

I was thinking about going to Crotched on a friday night soon. How is the place? And is it 100% night skiing?

Tin

Awesome, loved it so much last year we actually bought season passes. It's pretty good at night once they let under the Rocket, Jupiter, UFO, and the Valley Chair side bump up. They are 100% open at night, it is so bright I've actually skied a few glades at night (awesome stuff). Steeper stuff than surrounding areas (other than Whaleback) have to offer.

canobie#1

Awesome! I am looking forward to it! What's the best trail? For some reason UFO and Equinox are attracting me.

Tin

Depends on what you like. Doubt there will be much in the way of (if any) bumps due to the recent weather.

jack97

I was there last week, ufo/equinox was groomed flat, it most likely needed it. The bumps trails had ice or frozen tracks. Only decent bumps was the top quarter of valley lift where it had some soft man made cover.

yeggous

Lots of us here love the place. They have excellent snowmaking capacity. They refresh surfaces after every liquid precip event. Glades vary from tight trees to wide enough to drive a groomer through. The lift is fast but breaks down a lot.

Compared to Wachusett it has less vertical and less grooming but is steeper, has better snowmaking, no crowds, and has glades. Is comparable to Pats Peak in vertical but a much faster lift.

Lodge is utilitarian but works well. Food could be better but has improved over the last 2 years.

Tin

Lots of us here love the place. They have excellent snowmaking capacity. They refresh surfaces after every liquid precip event. Glades vary from tight trees to wide enough to drive a groomer through. The lift is fast but breaks down a lot.

Compared to Wachusett it has less vertical and less grooming but is steeper, has better snowmaking, no crowds, and has glades. Is comparable to Pats Peak in vertical but a much faster lift.

Lodge is utilitarian but works well. Food could be better but has improved over the last 2 years.

My SkiTrax app last year had WaWa at just over 950' and Crotched at 940' of vert. Not much difference. Think it's pitch is deceiving, I would have thought Sundown had more vertical than Whaleback until I looked it up.

Last edited:

yeggous

The WaWa vertical sounds about right. You sure about Crotched? I logged about 880 using Alpine Replay.

Tin

That gives me a reason to go this weekend. I know mine was over 900', it seems accurate and had Killington at just under 1600' from K1 and doesn't show Tuna Speeds. Prior to the Rocket it is listed at 775' and 823' on TrueVert so you could be correct.

Tin

I was wrong, GFs showed 870', mine was 890'. Somewhere in the upper 800s.

The Rocket doesn't go to the true summit of 2066' which appears to be in between the current area and old ski area on the side. I had 1970' for elevation but I doubt that is accurate not. What do you guys use for reliable apps?

Smellytele

I was wrong, GFs showed 870', mine was 890'. Somewhere in the upper 800s.

The Rocket doesn't go to the true summit of 2066' which appears to be in between the current area and old ski area on the side. I had 1970' for elevation but I doubt that is accurate not. What do you guys use for reliable apps?

It really comes down to I don't care what they say it is and what it actually is. The place is too small to worry about 20,30 or 60 feet or even 100'.

yeggous

I was talking to some staff last weekend. Their pond water supply has gone to the top of the list of problems in need of attention. They are talking about looking into pumping from that swamp that you drive past right before you get there coming up from Francestown. They admitted that all the liquid precip this year was actually a blessing for them since it refilled their pond enough to allow they to cover the mountain.

Am I the only one who has noticed repeated breakdowns in the Rocket express quad? That things seems to break every time that I am there. I guess that is why happens when you buy a 15 year old lift, move it 100+ miles, and don't have any lift mechanics with experience with detachable lifts.

Tin

I've named it The Curse of Ascutney. Been down a few times when I've been there
The worst was their big 14" storm this year when Deadheadskier and I got stuck on it for a solid 20 minutes and they then closed it for the day. It is always stopping or slowing down too.

yeggous

I've named it The Curse of Ascutney. Been down a few times when I've been there
The worst was their big 14" storm this year when Deadheadskier and I got stuck on it for a solid 20 minutes and they then closed it for the day. It is always stopping or slowing down too.

I'm going to start using this term in conversation. You have any idea whether it is a result of inexperience mechanics, poor maintenance, age, or other?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd say a combination of all three, but many of the stoppage issues seem to be due to inexperienced lift operators.

As an example; I was there about a week ago and the lift inexplicable stopped right as I was the next person to board the lift.. Both the guy bumping the chair and the attendant in the booth couldn't figure out how to get it back going. I stood there for five minutes or so contemplating if it was a good idea to still ride it given the experience I had earlier in the season when I was stuck up there for 20 minutes. Eventually someone showed up, went into the booth and got it going immediately.

bdfreetuna

That gives me a reason to go this weekend. I know mine was over 900', it seems accurate and had Killington at just under 1600' from K1 and doesn't show Tuna Speeds. Prior to the Rocket it is listed at 775' and 823' on TrueVert so you could be correct.

You have to go Tunaspeed(TM) if you want it to show Tunaspeed(TM).

Tin

^ LOL, awesome. My record is 52 mph which I did at Crotched by not turning once going down Pluto's. Those powder skis were chattering like a ______ .