• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiers are a sick breed

Cannonball

And I include myself and all of you in that statement.

This morning I left cold snowy New England for Hawaii. And I was really bummed about it. This is a work trip, not a chosen vacation. 90% of people would love the chance to escape to the tropics in February. But all I could think of was missing out on the best conditions of the season . And it only got worse. My connection was through Utah! People getting off the plane with their ski boots, heading for a half day of Wasatch fluff.

This board is one of the places I could say this and know that people will relate.

Wavewheeler

+1 I can TOTALLY relate. My friends all want to go to Florida and complain endlessly about the cold and snow. Here I am leaving to go to where there is MORE cold and snow so I can play in it! Out in the fresh air, beautiful scenery, getting lots of exercise and being active is so good for the soul! Everyone looked so happy today! It was awesome. :thumbup: Ever see a depressed skier? There's a reason for that! :)

The last thing I want to do is go to Florida and sit on the beach. No thanks. I'm doing exactly what I want to do..I just wish I could do more of it! Maybe if people stopped bitching about having "stay inside all winter" and actually got OUT and enjoyed it they'd stop complaining and wanting to go someplace "warm". Puleezz....:rolleyes:

BenedictGomez

Agreed; I'd want no part of a tropical island right now. It's bad enough I do Christmas in Florida every year, and it always seems like I miss a big snowstorm.

snowmonster

Just before Christmas, I was vacationing at the beach in Miniloc, Palawan in the Philippines. It's the kind of tropical island even people who grew up on a tropical beach dream about. I was paddling around on a stand-up paddleboard on a perfect sunny afternoon when a woman on the shore said I made it look easy. I said my stability came from my skier thighs. Turns out she was a skier too -- from Telluride, CO. Imagine spending the next hour having cocktails and talking about amazing snowy runs in the Colorado and New Hampshire backcountry while staring at this:

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1391761777.732350.jpg

It's a dog's life but someone has to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

JDMRoma

I feel your pain....Id be going out of my mind if I had to go somewhere that didnt have snow right now.

But think of it this way.......the conditions will be excellent when you get back...the glades should have plenty of good coverage.

I skied Cannon yesterday, very nice day.....not as much fun as the morning we all skied together though !

You will have to make up for the lost time once you get back !

Smellytele

My wife keeps hint at wanting to take a island vaca and I keep avoiding it by saying things like I would hate to be trapped on a island where there is nothing to do. I dislike laying on beaches but i do like drinking. Luckily she hasn't demanded it yet. At least she says she never wants to go on a cruise...

Warp Daddy

Florida to me is God!s waiting room :) , i want no part of that iam way to young at heart to accept that as my fate . My dad moved there ,great home on a championship golf course . Wed go to the pool and listen to who died last nite , who lost a body part to the knife etc etc .

We went to a fancy golf dinner dance and the master of ceremonies keeled over dead at the mike :sadwalk:Nope i wanna burn out not rust out dammit :dunce: been to the islands several times bored the hell out of me after 2 days . Got sick of the hey mon no problemo approach to situations that were lets say promises Undelivered by the resort in question.

Nah ..... Im going skiing this am and play with my ski posse in a fresh 10 inches

Krikaya

When the whiners complain about how cold and snowy it is, I always tell them to "Move to Florida". And then politely, under my breath "...and please disappear in a sinkhole"

Or I tell them about the time I was biking in the Cypress Swamp in Florida in January in a t-shirt and shorts and encountered an 8 foot python. It was as thick as my thigh and it raised up 2 feet in the air and hissed at me. I nearly shat myself.

Never understood the cruise ship mentality or why people spend a small fortune to fly to some exotic location for a couple of days to just...sit. But I'm glad all the lard-asses fly south. Imagine the lift lines if they all decided to take up skiing.

wa-loaf

My mother in law posted this yesterday on facebook:

1623598_10151982698596317_821530679_n.jpg

My answer was, yes I'm very happy now.

MadMadWorld

Is it wrong that I hate my boss for having a golf streak? I desperately want him not to be able to play golf because there is too much snow on the ground.

jrmagic

My wife keeps hint at wanting to take a island vaca and I keep avoiding it by saying things like I would hate to be trapped on a island where there is nothing to do. I dislike laying on beaches but i do like drinking. Luckily she hasn't demanded it yet. At least she says she never wants to go on a cruise...

So send her off to an Island vacation and go skiing for a few days:)

abc

And I include myself and all of you in that statement.

This morning I left cold snowy New England for Hawaii. And I was really bummed about it. This is a work trip, not a chosen vacation. 90% of people would love the chance to escape to the tropics in February. But all I could think of was missing out on the best conditions of the season . And it only got worse. My connection was through Utah! People getting off the plane with their ski boots, heading for a half day of Wasatch fluff.

This board is one of the places I could say this and know that people will relate.
Very well diagnosed! We're indeed a SICK BREED

And the species are thriving. :D

bdfreetuna

I hear you. I have to go to Los Angeles for work in a month. Also a couple other trips which are in prime spring skiing season.

Still trying to get out of California but I probably have to go.

I was also a little peeved about going to Mexico for Christmas this past year, but I got over it ;)

abc

I hear you. I have to go to Los Angeles for work in a month. Also a couple other trips which are in prime spring skiing season.

Still trying to get out of California but I probably have to go.
Jeez! You could zip over to Mammoth on the weekends!!

What line of work do you do? Can I go in your place? :)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I was just at the package store and the clerk is talking to the person in front of me and saying, Aren't you just so sick of winter? And there were probably five or six people nearby and they all start complaining about cold and snow and winter.

Then there's me who chimes in, I love the snow, hope we get a lot more next week!

That said, Hawaii is an awesome and beautiful place too, I have been there twice (honeymoon & with the USAF), and i wouldn't be shedding too many tears for some days out there.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

I must be an abomination. I like cruises too.

Of all vacations, I prefer skiing ... but Hawaii is a close 2nd. The cruise was fun because I could do a lot of things, I didn' treally sit around on the cruise. Started off running in the morning on the deck, then an hour or two of laying around, then some show, then at the port of calls they had different activities .. kayaking, swimming, etc.

I can't really "lay on the beach" either for more than an hour, or maybe two, tops.