• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pole planting drills

Savemeasammy

My six year old has been progressing nicely this season. He is starting to develop a parallel turn - especially on the lower angle stuff, and he can do a nice "hockey stop". I introduced the poles earlier this season, but I haven't really made much headway as far as their proper use. I try to show him what I feel is a proper technique for using/planting them, but it isn't working so far. Does anyone know of any drills that might be useful for young skiers?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

steamboat1

Can't help you out with drills, sorry. I just wanted to say that it always amazes me at how many skiers don't know how to properly use their ski poles. Many people who ski fairly well have no idea how properly plant their poles while skiing. When properly used they help out tremendously with balance & rhythm.

bigbog

Savemeasammy..quite a few videos online....some look/sound pretty good...imagine there are some of questionable accuracy..
Steamboat1 (= anyone) ...The punch(follow)-through type...when one's balance is good...as opposed to a blocking poleplant....to change one's momentum...ie slow it down..? <- I need to look online, have never heard it explained..

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Give him a target to aim at. It's hard for young kids to do multiple things at once so visual targets make it easier. Letting him do a NASTAR course is a great place to start. Doing a pole swing/touch as he comes around each gate. Most mountains do freebies once a week. Terrain park rollers are good too.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Savemeasammy..quite a few videos online....some look/sound pretty good...imagine there are some of questionable accuracy..
Steamboat1 (= anyone) ...The punch(follow)-through type...when one's balance is good...as opposed to a blocking poleplant....to change one's momentum...ie slow it down..? <- I need to look online, have never heard it explained..
This video explains it pretty good. Keeping both hands forward & your shoulders (upper body) facing down the hill are important. Like I said many skiers I see don't do this. Oh I did see your 1st post. I'm recouping from 3 good days up in VT. Still feeling a bit under the weather, have been for a week now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyz9HVIH22o

MadMadWorld

This video explains it pretty good. Keeping both hands forward & your shoulders (upper body) facing down the hill are important. Like I said many skiers I see don't do this. Oh I did see your 1st post. I'm recouping from 3 good days up in VT. Still feeling a bit under the weather, have been for a week now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyz9HVIH22o

Good luck trying to teach a 6 yr old that. They will look at you like you have 10 heads.

drjeff

My kids instructors as they were learning to use their poles (roughly at age 5 as I recall) used to tell them to try and "poke the snow snake" so it won't grab your ski as you turn (you can insert your favorite "snow animal" reference) and they also used to do plenty of pole drills and practice in some low angle, small bumps, where a pole plant helps.

It was actually kind of entertaining to be on a lift or trail when they went buy as you'd hear multiple kids saying something like "get the snow snake!!" as they went by!

Just keep it simple and fun and it will come

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

MadMadWorld

My kids instructors as they were learning to use their poles (roughly at age 5 as I recall) used to tell them to try and "poke the snow snake" so it won't grab your ski as you turn (you can insert your favorite "snow animal" reference) and they also used to do plenty of pole drills and practice in some low angle, small bumps, where a pole plant helps.

It was actually kind of entertaining to be on a lift or trail when they went buy as you'd hear multiple kids saying something like "get the snow snake!!" as they went by!

Just keep it simple and fun and it will come

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Exactly.

steamboat1

Although this has nothing to do with my topic, I learned to ski without brakes on my skis. I had straps wrapped around my legs instead.

Can you imagine today's skiers having to bend over to push down the lever on the front of the ski to lock in a cable binding? I don't even think they'd be able to place the cable behind the heel of the boot. I miss those little clip on run away straps. At least if your ski came off while riding the chair you'd still have your ski when you got to the top. I remember that happening a couple of times.

steamboat1

Just going for a laugh that's all. I don't think you learned to ski in the 40s and 50s.

No bear traps, had regular toe pieces, but did ski with cable bindings, run away straps & wooden ski's with screw on metal edges. Also had double laced leather boots which are sitting on the mantel above the fireplace in our ski club to this day (in the old metal boot tree). I started skiing in 1960. Sorry I came off harsh, us old guys can get grumpy.

BenedictGomez

it always amazes me at how many skiers don't know how to properly use their ski poles. Many people who ski fairly well have no idea how properly plant their poles while skiing.

Agree 100%. To throw a number out there, I would guess less than 10% of skiers on the mountain even use poll plants.

MadMadWorld

No bear traps, had regular toe pieces, but did ski with cable bindings, run away straps & wooden ski's with screw on metal edges. Also had double laced leather boots which are sitting on the mantel above the fireplace in our ski club to this day (in the old metal boot tree). I started skiing in 1960. Sorry I came off harsh, us old guys can get grumpy.

No worries, you wouldn't be the first to mistake humor for being an ass. That's cool that you have some of your original equipment still.

bdfreetuna

Agree 100%. To throw a number out there, I would guess less than 10% of skiers on the mountain even use poll plants.

Do you mean 10% use pole plants consistently or 10% use pole plants in certain terrain and conditions?

I'm one of the latter, my pole technique is pretty good but I really only work the poles on steeper terrain or any terrain that is icy.

Some pearls of wisdom in this thread about how to make this interesting for kids. Poke the snake! =)