• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington making snow again

SIKSKIER

The snowmaking assault on Superstar continues with 'round the clock blanketing of The Beast's favorite spring haunt. Slide on over to the Superstar Express Quad for hot laps under cold smoke all day Tuesday.
They also groomed Outer limits cuz those bumps were frozen solid.

Farleyman

Heading to the beast this weekend! Can't wait haven't been up there all season.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

Is that the run Killington tries to keep open into the spring after the other runs are devoid of snow? Ive never been there.

Yeah it's a big wide black diamond and they absolutely hammer it with snow. Usually Killington has Superstar and Bittersweet (the trail next to it) and maybe 1 other proximate trail open for a few weeks longer than most anything else.

Tin

They should rename Superstar "The Glacier". Claiming October to June would be pretty awesome. Solimano is on a mission from God. He is a good skier too. Saw him in November catching air on Skyelark and yelling like a kid on Christmas.

snoseek

Well, it looks like ill possibly be closing my ski season on the east coast sometime in May, awesome!

steamboat1

Yeah it's a big wide black diamond and they absolutely hammer it with snow. Usually Killington has Superstar and Bittersweet (the trail next to it) and maybe 1 other proximate trail open for a few weeks longer than most anything else.

Superstar, upper/lower Skyelark & lower Bittersweet are usually the last men standing. They blew snow on Skye Hawk this year so it may be around awhile this year too. All the rented compressors are lined up & being trucked out of Bear this week. They have there own compressors for the trails off Superstar chair. The glacier is growing (huge) but for some reason I think they're just getting started. They had to tunnel a path over to Launch Pad & Great Eastern from the top of the Superstar chair. That's how huge the mountain of snow on top is.

By the way they were blowing on upper lower Supe & lower middle Supe (does that make sense?) all week with a few guns going on the head wall also. All guns were off today.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Does that base seem to compare to last year?

The head wall seems to be deeper than last year. The flat just above the lower steep drop looks about the same. The whole trail in general seems to have less but it is deep. Like I said above I don't think they're done yet. I'd expect both Skye Lark (top to bottom), lower Bitter & Superstar (top to bottom) to get pounded good one more time before they're finished with snow making for the year. But what do I know?

steamboat1

Thanks all. When do they go down to just those few trails?

Bear is closing April 14, Ramshead is likely to close the same day. They may keep Snowshed open. After that they'll keep Snowdon & K-1 going for as long as the snow holds up, possibly into May. The Needles area & Bear will stay open down to the Snowshed cross over which they open for late season. After that you're down to only the Superstar chair & the trails off of it. If I were to guess I'd say after the 1st weekend in May, weather permitting of course.

Gilligan

Bear is closing April 14, Ramshead is likely to close the same day. They may keep Snowshed open. After that they'll keep Snowdon & K-1 going for as long as the snow holds up, possibly into May. The Needles area & Bear will stay open down to the Snowshed cross over which they open for late season. After that you're down to only the Superstar chair & the trails off of it. If I were to guess I'd say after the 1st weekend in May, weather permitting of course.
I know April 14 was the last day for Bear last year. Where did you see that it was the same schedule this year?