• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for a patch to ski on June 1st

chuckstah

Hi All, I am looking for a decent sized patch to ski this Sunday, June 1st to make it 9 straight months of skiing (so far). Based in S. NH. Tux is an obvious choice, as is lower SS at Kmart. Is there anything else in the area worth considering? I would rather save Tux for July as that will most likely be the only option. I may not be working this summer for the first time in almost 30 years and am going to try to ski 12 months straight for the first time in my life. If I can get June and July locally a trip to Oregon at the end of August into September would clinch 12 straight months. September is the only month I have not skied yet! Thanks for any suggestions.

Brad J

Thats a great goal, I did 11months in New England in 82 or 83, missed September. good luck finding some turns

drjeff

I'd say that the last remnants of the last jump on Inferno over at Carinthia at Mount Snow would easily still have a patch left, even after they plowed it out last week for their annual Memorial Day Weekend "Peace Pipe Jam" BUT Tough Mudder is at Mount Snow this weekend, that patch of snow I'm quite sure will be part of the course, and access to it will be at best challenging, if not down right impossible :(

Stratton might very well have some remnants of some of their terrain park hits left still

shpride

Anyone know if Jiminy or Butternut still have any patches left? I am working out in the Berkshires next week so if there is something left, not matter how small, I would like to hike to it. I'm guessing doubtful but I do know there was some left on Jiminy as of last week. I was just wondering if it stuck around.

MadMadWorld

I'd say that the last remnants of the last jump on Inferno over at Carinthia at Mount Snow would easily still have a patch left, even after they plowed it out last week for their annual Memorial Day Weekend "Peace Pipe Jam" BUT Tough Mudder is at Mount Snow this weekend, that patch of snow I'm quite sure will be part of the course, and access to it will be at best challenging, if not down right impossible :(

Stratton might very well have some remnants of some of their terrain park hits left still

Intel from some in the competition (who is most definitely not me) received a photo of all the snow piled up into one area and is indeed part of the course. My guess is that whatever is left will be a nasty muddy mess by the end of the weekend

drjeff

Intel from some in the competition (who is most definitely not me) received a photo of all the snow piled up into one area and is indeed part of the course. My guess is that whatever is left will be a nasty muddy mess by the end of the weekend

Having done a TM at Mount Snow twice in the past, once when they hadn't plowed out the big piles they build on Inferno for their Memorial Day rail jam and one where they had, the snow and what's left of it, if the 1st competitor based on the course map reaches it about 9:15 or so tomorrow AM, it will be looking more like mud than snow by early afternoon and REALLY nasty come Sunday afternoon after all 15,000 or so Mudders negotiate it. They'll likely still be some frozen "snow-like" stuff left come Sunday evening there, but it will likely have at least a 50% dirt/mud to snow ratio and be very chopped up and goo like in places and almost hard rut like in others (the 1st TM at Mount Snow 3 years ago, the large snowpile for the last hit on Inferno was actually an obstacle where snowcats had basically cut away the back side of the pile creating about a 10 foot high vertical wall of snow that you had to climb up and then slide down the back, and after a bunch of competitors had slid down the back, it basically turned into a series of 1 to 2 foot deep "butt-luge" tracks :) ) The following year when TM after the Memorial Day rail jam, what was left of the snow was more like 6 to 12" deep quick sand with no rigid structure to it at all :eek:

chuckstah

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I will head to Kmart in the morning tomorrow and make a few turns on what is left of Superstar!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I will head to Kmart in the morning tomorrow and make a few turns on what is left of Superstar!
That would sound again right from SNH. MTW will have extremely early July turns for you...it wasn't possible last season. Careful, ski streaks are addictives. You know when they start, but you never when they will end. ;) I'm personally looking for some June turns at Stowe tomorrow or via the Autoroad early next week.

chuckstah

I got out today for two runs on lower SS at Kmart today. Nice corn snow bumps for a couple hundred yards, then a break with another patch at the base. Some locals had a little jib park set up on the patch at the base with quite a few people out. All in all some good turns were to be had for June 1st. There were also a bunch of spectators at the base tailgating and just taking in the June sun. This was my 9th month in a row. Hopefully with some luck I can continue the streak to 10 in July and beyond.

MadMadWorld

I got out today for two runs on lower SS at Kmart today. Nice corn snow bumps for a couple hundred yards, then a break with another patch at the base. Some locals had a little jib park set up on the patch at the base with quite a few people out. All in all some good turns were to be had for June 1st. There were also a bunch of spectators at the base tailgating and just taking in the June sun. This was my 9th month in a row. Hopefully with some luck I can continue the streak to 10 in July and beyond.

July is pretty rare even on the top of Mt Washington. August is impossible. Hopefully you can travel south or out west.

.squirrely.

went up to wachusett today, still had enough to setup a 10ft rail. cant beat skiing in june, 9 month season at the wa

chuckstah

I have skied on Mt Washington in July but only once way back in the 90's. Ideally I can grab some turns there on July 1st or second. If not a trip out west will be in order for July turns. Maybe a-basin will extend that long? Hopefully work does not get in the way. Timberline should be open through Labor Day, Sept 1st, so a long weekend will cover August and Sept. turns. I have tried to go all year before and came up just short missing September. Hopefully this time I can step up my game!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
July is pretty rare even on the top of Mt Washington. August is impossible. Hopefully you can travel south or out west.

Not at the top, but in Tuckerman Ravine. Since 2006, I think only 2 Julys that no one made turn (last two seasons?). I've personally made July turns at Tucks in 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2011.

I've seen two August TRs on First Tracks Online from 2001(?).

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I have skied on Mt Washington in July but only once way back in the 90's. Ideally I can grab some turns there on July 1st or second. If not a trip out west will be in order for July turns. Maybe a-basin will extend that long? Hopefully work does not get in the way. Timberline should be open through Labor Day, Sept 1st, so a long weekend will cover August and Sept. turns. I have tried to go all year before and came up just short missing September. Hopefully this time I can step up my game!

In my quest for turns all year - hardest months

October : lifts :Wildcat, Sunday River (3 times) and Colorado once (A-Basin + Loveland) (1 time). Earned turns : Jay, Le Massif, Whiteface Toll road, Timberline in West Virginia.

July : lifts : Mammoth (2 times), Oregon (Timberline + Bachelor) (1 time). Earned turns : Tuckerman (4 times), Mont Avila QC

August / September : Timberline (2 times), South America (Chile or/and Argentina) (5 times), Alps (France + Switzerland + Italy + Austria) (1 time)