• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bad Rumor Today at Alta (Sale of Interest in Snowbird to Cumming)

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'm sorry but the guy is just out of touch and does not seem to be too sharp of a business man.

"Cumming said it would have been difficult for Powdr Corp. to justify a "major acquisition" like the Snowbird deal amid the uncertainty with PCMR."

Why? When you're about to lose (or really already lost) one of your biggest assets and revenue generators, why not invest in a new one??

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm sorry but the guy is just out of touch and does not seem to be too sharp of a business man.

"Cumming said it would have been difficult for Powdr Corp. to justify a "major acquisition" like the Snowbird deal amid the uncertainty with PCMR."

Why? When you're about to lose (or really already lost) one of your biggest assets and revenue generators, why not invest in a new one??

I agree (again).

Remember that Snowbird is not Junior, but Daddy Cumming. So there is hope (?)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Its got to hurt business, but unfortunately is part of business for resorts that operate gondulas during the summer months. Stowe is going through this, this summer with their rehab project (new able and redone cabins).

I think I did hear about the new cabins--but had not heard about the other work. Hard to believe that the Gondi is 23 years old or so!

stowe-gondola_dark.jpg

stowe_gondola3055.jpg

stowe-gondola-8945.jpg

mbedle

I heard about the cable replacement in February from an employee. It makes sense considering how much more the thing is used (with spring, summer and fall operations). Figure 1 year at a winter only place is like 3 years at Stowe. Couple of pics from Facebook.
1558554_10151979255667382_3706302396142961082_n.jpg
10170871_10152012124702382_656415693107950938_n.jpg
10177991_10152002744352382_4723240666022213768_n.jpg

mbedle

I saw that picture on their website yesterday. Its kind of sad to see it get so developed. People in town and along the access road have some very mixed feelings about the amount of retail they are proposing at the resort. I think its pretty much decided by which side of the road you park on, if you are for or against the development. I for one hang out at the Den and enjoy the more laid back approach to skiing.

AdironRider

Its got to hurt business, but unfortunately is part of business for resorts that operate gondulas during the summer months. Stowe is going through this, this summer with their rehab project (new able and redone cabins).

The tram at Jackson is the primary summer draw. Usually at least 50% full at a minimum (65 max capacity in summer, not packed to brim at 101 like the winter) at over 30 bucks a head.

That being said, Stowe could have done that work during the spring. JHole tightens the cables, does all maintenance, etc during our 2 month offseasons. Seems like poor planning on Stowes part.

Broken transmissions though you can never plan on. Usually incorporates one of the three individual braking systems needed to run a tram safely so I can understand them being bummed out about that.

steamboat1

Stowe still has the toll road & adventure park (with lift serviced Alpine Slide). I don't think gondola rides are/were the main attraction at Stowe & wasn't/isn't a money maker during the summer.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some interesting comments from the Alta blog yesterday....about "AltaSnowbird" in particular:

Words by Alta Ski Area general manager, Onno Wieringa

Hello Alta Skiers,

As we approach the longest day of the year, I want to pass along a few updates.

Our great AltaSnowbird partners now have a new controlling interest owner, Mr. Ian Cumming. Ian has lived and skied at AltaSnowbird for years and we welcome him into his new position and look forward to his presence as AltaSnowbird tackles the challenges of economic and environmental sustainability.

Ian’s presence ushers in a new chapter for our long-time storyteller, reciter of poetry and all-around great man, Mr. Dick Bass. Dick’s vision, passion and commitment took Snowbird and Little Cottonwood Canyon a long way along the road of improvement from the mining and timbering wasteland that Snowbird started with. A sewer line, natural gas pipeline and the Cliff Lodge addition are economic and environmental highlights of Dick’s 40+ years with Snowbird.

[....]

AltaSnowbird will again be a part of the Mountain Collective with our great partners Aspen/Snowmass, Jackson Hole, Mammoth, Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows and Whistler Blackcomb. This pass is as cool as it gets as an enticement to get out and ski other great mountains. The pass will go on sale again in the early fall. Go to mountaincollective.com for details.

[....]

http://www.alta.com/altablog/?p=2341

First time I have seen them refer to AltaSnowbird like that.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Some interesting comments from the Alta blog yesterday....about "AltaSnowbird" in particular: http://www.alta.com/altablog/?p=2341 First time I have seen them refer to AltaSnowbird like that.
Like what? More like a combined entity? I think the "separate but equal" type of partnership and synergy that has developed between Alta and Snowbird since they opened the interconnect has been a positive for both resorts.

mbedle

The time is takes to remove all the cabin and send them to NH to get them redone I would assume could not be completed in a couple of months. Also, they are replacing the entire cable, not just tightening. But as Steamboat said, I don't think the gondola ride is the biggest attraction at Stowe (golf and kids camp). Besides winter, its most likely biggest use is in the fall, which they plan to have it back up and running for this year.

The tram at Jackson is the primary summer draw. Usually at least 50% full at a minimum (65 max capacity in summer, not packed to brim at 101 like the winter) at over 30 bucks a head.

That being said, Stowe could have done that work during the spring. JHole tightens the cables, does all maintenance, etc during our 2 month offseasons. Seems like poor planning on Stowes part.

Broken transmissions though you can never plan on. Usually incorporates one of the three individual braking systems needed to run a tram safely so I can understand them being bummed out about that.

steamboat1

FWIW the Tram ran this past weekend.

Are you allowed to bring ski's?

Snowbird forecast:

• This Afternoon Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. High near 42. West wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
  • Tonight Snow showers likely, mainly before midnight. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Northwest wind 6 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • Wednesday A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 40. Light and variable wind becoming west 8 to 13 mph in the afternoon. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Are you allowed to bring ski's?

Snowbird forecast:

• This Afternoon Snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. High near 42. West wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
  • Tonight Snow showers likely, mainly before midnight. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Northwest wind 6 to 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • Wednesday A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Partly sunny, with a high near 40. Light and variable wind becoming west 8 to 13 mph in the afternoon. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Yep. If you sign a liability waiver.

AdironRider

The time is takes to remove all the cabin and send them to NH to get them redone I would assume could not be completed in a couple of months. Also, they are replacing the entire cable, not just tightening. But as Steamboat said, I don't think the gondola ride is the biggest attraction at Stowe (golf and kids camp). Besides winter, its most likely biggest use is in the fall, which they plan to have it back up and running for this year.

You realize most gondola cars come off the line every day anyways?

In terms of the scale of work, replacing a line is a couple days tops. Refurbing gondola cars in a couple months, yeah they can and do often, Stowe just procrastinated. Whether getting their spot in line with the lift company, or just in general.

drjeff

You realize most gondola cars come off the line every day anyways?

In terms of the scale of work, replacing a line is a couple days tops. Refurbing gondola cars in a couple months, yeah they can and do often, Stowe just procrastinated. Whether getting their spot in line with the lift company, or just in general.

Exactly! Pulling and spooling an old haul rope and then stringing the new one isn't that big of a project once the new haul rope and proper equipment is on site.

Heck in this instance where its a replacement haul rope and not a totally new installation they might even be able to splice the new haul rope into the old haul rope and pull the new rope on simultaneously as the old rope is pulled off and spooled up (unless any major sheave replacement work is being done on the towers as being "haul rope free" would aide in that process for sure!)

Cabin refurbishment, unless something major such as cutting off the grips and installing new, smoother ones, really shouldn't take too long either - unbolt the old seats, sand blast + paint, install new seats (and possibly doors) and repeat a bunch of times.

My guess is their gondi will be all new looking and running before leaf season

jimmywilson69

I think it's a sure bet that the Gondola will up and running by september. Lots of $$ to be made with people hiking around Mt. Mansfield during leaf season.

I wonder what the new cars will look like? I didn't think they were in bad shape when I was there in Feb.