• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ok, I'm done. I've slipped into a state of disbelief. There's no f*****g way this is happening up there. We're all being punked.

I'm just still in disbelief that they even let q take the microphone again after last year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Trailboss, if you got that in email, please copy and paste the text here.

It would make for a good Saturday afternoon laugh.

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, here goes:

The Caledonian Record said:
CEO QUIROS ADDRESSES
QBURKE RESORT CHANGES

BY JAMES JARDINE
Staff Writer

QBurke resort is in the midst of a transition that has seen a number of long-time employees depart. CEO Ari Quiros says the changes are part of his plan to build a world-class organization that puts customer service first, and rewards hard work. “You have to perform,” Quiros explained in a Friday interview. “If you are evaluated on your performance and your performance is not up to standards, you will be replaced.” Of rumors about mass resignations of management and staff, Quiros explains “Employees who have been replaced may be spreading rumors of ‘lots of people not working there anymore’ because they believe it will help them explain why they are not here anymore.”

Quiros says he has a full staff but is always looking for high quality employees. He expects it will BE four to five years before the organization is operating at the high level he envisions. In the meantime Quiros insists that the resort is in good shape. He says lifts will begin operating on the weekend of Dec. 13 and 14 and will open full time on Dec. 22. Thereafter the whole resort will be open for skiing every day through March.

Quiros said there is no point in trying to run lifts and make snow during weekdays ahead of the traditional Christmas holiday season. It’s expensive and very few people want to ski. On Tuesdays during the regular season, the ski lifts will run with minimal staffing, because employees and up to six members of an employees family/friends can ski with them for free.

Quiros says he has worked closely with Lyndon State College on business development and has gotten help from LSC with employee training. He says the concept of learning how to understand and provide exceptional service should be part of every student’s curriculum at LSC.

The resort recently hired a new general manager who Quiros declined to identify. “I have a new G.M. and you’ll find out, in a few months, who the new GM is,” he said.

QBurke will continue to run its Tamarack Grille and restaurant four days a week until the start of the holiday season on Dec. 22, when it will be open for expanded hours.

Construction continues on QBurke’s 116-room hotel, Quiros says. The $110 million dollar project is being handled by Peak CM - a Williston construction company that has done extensive construction projects at Jay Peak and worked on EB-5 projects in Newport.

Quiros says the project is in good shape. He discounted rumors of unpaid subcontractors and problems with hotel construction - scheduled to be complete by December, 2015. “They are ahead of schedule,” he said, and there is plenty of money available to build the hotel. “They are happy… Everybody’s happy,” Quiros said.

So you can see why I mocked the "everyone's happy" comment. That is nonsense. In sum, it is a lot of "do what I say, not what I do".

Last edited:

MEtoVTSkier

And re: Hotel

I don't know what the article says, but a reliable source has told me that q has decided to slow down construction this winter to save money and thus the Hotel will be delayed. Not sure if anyone else can verify, but that is what I've been hearing (and what it looked like when I went up to take a look a couple weeks ago).

Why would you possibly want to slow down and delay ROI? The quicker it's done, the quicker the beds, bars, cafeterias get filled...

MEtoVTSkier

Quiros said there is no point in trying to run lifts and make snow during weekdays ahead of the traditional Christmas holiday season. It’s expensive and very few people want to ski.

NOPE! Evidently all the other mountains out there don't have a clue what they are doing, blowing snow and opening so early before Thanksgiving! :grin:

Was really hoping to spend some quality time at Burke this winter, but I guess I can get re-acquainted with Wildcat instead! :slap:

I vote heavily with my feet & wallet!

thetrailboss

Staff member
NOPE! Evidently all the other mountains out there don't have a clue what they are doing, blowing snow and opening so early before Thanksgiving! :grin:

No, they're losers because they don't offer the "superior" customer service that q offers. Usually to get your employees to offer "superior" customer service, you have to treat your own employees at least very well if not "superior". It starts at the top. You'd think a military man would get that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm surprised he hasn't gotten roasted on Facebook yet for the GM to be revealed in a few months remark. :lol:

Hay anyone ever met Q junior? He just sounds really socially awkward.

VTKilarney

A couple (of the many) quotes that struck me from the article:

1) “If you are evaluated on your performance and your performance is not up to standards, you will be replaced.”
Does that apply to you, Baby-Q?

2) Quiros said there is no point in trying to run lifts and make snow during weekdays ahead of the traditional Christmas holiday season
There is no point in trying to make snow before Christmas???????

thetrailboss

Staff member
Also notice that employees may only ski free on Tuesdays. Looks like no free pass for those folks. That's pretty much an industry standard. q wanted to ax free passes for employees last year and reneged at the last minute. Looks like he will cut that benefit this year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

The article doesn't say that employees can only ski for free on Tuesday. Are you sure about that?

deadheadskier

Staff member
http://www.skiburke.com/jobs/

It says free skiing and riding on their jobs page.

I took what he read as on Tuesdays, employees can bring their families skiing for free. That's a nice benefit, other than it being a Tuesday when people will struggle to take advantage of it. I would think they'd be fine offering on Sundays. It's not like the place is crowded and allowing more people on the hill will make that much of a difference.

Whiteout

Word of advice to Q-2: don't post stupid videos showing that you can't drive in snow on Facebook.....

Especially if you are trying to convince everyone that you are an expert ski resort manager.

That song in the background is so ironic. The lyrics... "my father said. Dont you worry don't you worry child. See heaven's got a plan for you."
That guy couldnt run a lemonade stand. LmFAO

thetrailboss

Staff member
That song in the background is so ironic. The lyrics... "my father said. Dont you worry don't you worry child. See heaven's got a plan for you."
That guy couldnt run a lemonade stand. LmFAO

Good observation. A lot of folks took him to task for posting that on FB. I think he is doing things just to piss people off. It only is hurting him.