• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tips for the 1st winter with a baby.

we took our newborn and five year old to sugarbush last december, and brought my mother along...the five year old was in lessons and my mom watched the baby while we skied...even brought him to the hill to watch us all one day...worked out well, but be prepared to schlep....i see the hard work and sacrifice of personal ski time as an investment in my future enjoyment of skiing with the family

the five year old is in lessons here in pa as well, which gets us out regularly too...another couple seasons for the baby, and we'll all be out there...be here before i know it, right?

yeggous

Thus far I think everyone has missed a really important dimension. I see a lot of ski clubs where the parents take turn throwing themselves on the grenade. A bunch of families share parental responsibilities. It is the most painful experience imaginable when you are the Shepard for the day, but it pays off big time on the weekends when it is someone else's problem. I know that ,out ski clubs in Vermont are family clubs so you should be able to find something there. The singles clubs in New England are (as far as I know) isolated to New Hampshire so that should not be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
One thing not mentioned is finding a place to ski closer to home. A big influence on why I chose the Granite Pass this winter is that Crotched is only an hour and twenty minutes from home. I have a five months old. I see a lot of quick half day or night skiing sessions the next few years. Sure I'd rather be up at Attitash or Wildcat, but some skiing is better than no skiing.

I'm assuming you live in Manhattan. If I lived there I'd learn to enjoy Mountain Creek. I'd probably get a pass there and do the switch off with my wife or go solo occasionally and encourage the wife to do the same.

Savemeasammy

Try this:

Friday night, pack all of your ski stuff in the car (either after your wife goes to sleep, or while she is preoccupied in some way with the baby).

Saturday morning, "discover" that some sort of grocery item is need of replacement (for example, perhaps you accidentally left the milk on the counter over night. Oops.). Be a good guy and offer to go get more milk. After all, it's your fault, not to mention there is 8" of new snow on the ground. Don't make your wife go out in that....

Go skiing instead. Apologize profusely later. You should probably grab some flowers on the way home.

Let us know how it works.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Well the fact she enjoys skiing is a step in the right direction, My wife skied a few times with me before we were married and lost interest or at least that's what I thought.
First Boy came and I took him out when he was four ,He had a blast but got tired and threw a tantrum while riding up the lift .
He almost slipped under the bar ! Scared the hell out of me. I didn't take him back till he was 9 .
A sad fact...After the baby comes you are no longer her priority, nothing else matters, she is now a Mama Bear!
Change as many diapers as you can! Laundry and all that ....grovel....there is no pride when it comes to time on the slopes whatever it takes!

ScottySkis

I haven't, but I've also spent seasons at Wisp, Maryland and Snowshoe, WV. Snowshoe wasn't terrible, Wisp completely sucked. You make due....

+1 it terrible nights after snow storm mid week . Catamount is good family place less then 2 hours from city offf taconic parkway.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
Try this:

Friday night, pack all of your ski stuff in the car (either after your wife goes to sleep, or while she is preoccupied in some way with the baby).

Saturday morning, "discover" that some sort of grocery item is need of replacement (for example, perhaps you accidentally left the milk on the counter over night. Oops.). Be a good guy and offer to go get more milk. After all, it's your fault, not to mention there is 8" of new snow on the ground. Don't make your wife go out in that....

Go skiing instead. Apologize profusely later. You should probably grab some flowers on the way home.

Let us know how it works.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Sounds like a winner if I ever heard one lol

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone